Does proper grammar matter at all anymore?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Jul 21, 2019.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The description didn't come from the producers of Gunsmoke, but from the current plot synopsis on the channel guide written by the people at the Spectrum cable company. Thus, your logic is tragically flawed. And, I don't know WTF your comment about foraging for sustenance is supposed to mean, or what point it's trying to make. I agree that Twitter and Facebook have done irreparable damage to our society, and this is an example of the effect of that, and our broken education system, on employees of said cable company. Other than that, your post has no relevance nor adds anything of use to the conversation.

2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

When did TDPRI become The Gear Page, with a bunch of snide A'holes posting comments on a thread that have no point other than to just be DBs and make their insecure little egos somehow feel clever?

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm slow to understand?

Bad grammar is like bad geometry in a guitar. You want your guitar to be an accurate means of conveying what you want. If its geometry is faulty, then it will not work as you would like.

Grammar is like that: it is a system for conveying thought clearly. American English is a wild and chaotic thing, creative and destructive at the same time. Blending it with the Queen's English gets you the best of both worlds. There has to be the System, and there has to be the Street -- not one or the other on its own.

Hope that clears things up.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Er... geometry joke!

[​IMG]

ndcaster likes this.
  5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

to most people it does not, but, i get tired of trying to figure out what people really mean. if i have to figure it out, i quit that post and go on. their/there, hear/here, to/two/too, so, anyway, you know, like, etc. short but sweet!

play music!

verb boten likes this.
  6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

My wife loved teaching grammar and punctuation to seventh-graders. She loved diagramming sentences. Over the decades, she observed that the students had become less interested in these things. She is retired now.

Did seventh-graders change or did she? She was the same person growing older, but the cohort of seventh-graders changed completely each year. It is impossible to say whether her patience ebbed or the attentiveness of her pupils changed is some broad way.

I have run into writing that is free of errors of grammar, usage and punctuation, but which is logically faulty. Some people whose writing is atrocious in grammar and punctuation manage to communicate with precision, because their writing is economical and uses just the right words and images.

If the written words were clear in meaning if spoken, they will generally be clear when written, though bad punctuation can create ambiguities or unintended meanings.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    ndcaster likes this.
  7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

hahahahahha

QED!

8. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

"Anti-intellectualism in American Life" by Richard Hofstadter won the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction in 1964.

mad dog and Harry Styron like this.
  9. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I thought Festus was some kind of currency or something, not as disgusting as mucus, but rather having some actual value.

10. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Yep, sure have. Didn't realize it was spell checkers, that explains a lot. What it doesn't explain is the use of some of the cheesy street slang. That can be had for free in abundance, just going through daily life, thank you very much.

Bill likes this.
  11. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

I thought it was Firesign Theatre....

12. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I believe it was the inspiration for this classic song:

13. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

At the risk of resurrecting this thread...

A book about the Internet and its effects on languag called called Because Internet was published on Tuesday. It looks to be a good counter to the premise of this thread.

The first chapter is available to read on Amazon; I just ordered a print copy and will follow up after I've read it.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I wish just this once, Ol' Fuzzy would chime in on this thread.

rangercaster likes this.
  15. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

It isn't really bad here, but there are examples all over the web of posters who don't seem to care if what they wrote is legible or not. After struggling thru a post and finally making sense of it (and noting how very little correction it took to make it readable) i can't help but wonder why the poster couldn't be bothered to make a few changes after proof-reading and create a well-drafted post? And they get upset when you point this out.

muscmp likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We all make mistakes, and I'm happy when someone points out an error so that I can learn from my mistake and stop making it! I admit, I'm in good company: until recently I thought it was "I am poring over this text".

verb boten likes this.
  17. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

whut

18. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

I'm starting to realize that accepting constructive criticism is almost an art. Looks like you & I are pros.
    :D

19. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Poor grammar is perfectly acceptable in casual conversation and electronic chat ... It's almost a given ... However, in the business world, poor grammar and/or spelling will immediately brand you as careless at best, or just an idiot... Or worse, a careless idiot ...

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

How anyone can watch any popular movie of the day, with the language contained therein, and then attack someone's grammar on a forum primarily comprised of opinion (mandated by the rules) is a mystery to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.