Does playing bass affect (improve/hurt) your regular guitar playing?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by ladave, Oct 2, 2019.

1. ezra1

ezra1 TDPRI Member

You are thinking right.
    Most guitarists play too busy on bass .
    You got to separate the two.
    Find the melodic groove with the drums and support the tune.
    Serve the song.

Bassman8 and brookdalebill like this.
  2. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

I'm coming at it a different way.

I'm a life long bass player and I had just a very basic ability on guitar. For a band I got involved in a few years ago, there was already a bass player (my wife) so I was "demoted" to guitar. This was right after reading Keith Richards autobiography, so i just strung up a tele with only 5 strings/open G style and learned that way.

The thought was, at my age I'd always be the worst 6 string player if I just played the "normal" guitar method, but now I'm always the best 5 string player at gigs! :lol:

Most people cant tell!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Bassman8 and pondcaster like this.
  3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

(My bold); Yes that's me, though it is something I'm aware of and try not to go down the too complex route.

I do find that after I've been playing bass for a while that my guitars feel a bit like toys...string bends are so easy and the difference between 9, 10 or 11 gauge strings seems trivial in comparison.

I still can't play bass and sing though. I can strum chords/do simple riffs and fills on guitar while singing, but other than simple roof note playing, I can't do the same on bass.

Bassman8 and pondcaster like this.
  4. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

For me there is a five minute adjustment period going to the bass but it doesn't come back the other way on guitar. I can put the bass down and instantly be back on familiar ground.
    I did/do have trouble singing and playing bass depending on the song. No such issues with guitar and can do complicated stuff independent of singing. Bass is harder than us guitar players would like to admit and I think its unfair that many of us look down at bass player's. (And drummers too)

Bassman8 likes this.
  5. RRCaster

RRCaster TDPRI Member

Life long guitar player here. Played a little bass in high school thru '20's, but mainly guitar/slide guitar. Went many years not playing much; wife/kids/work.

Had an original music band for about 5 years that I fronted, when it disbanded tried to put another one together but always ended up with 3 guitar players and no bass player. Got tired of trying to lead people where they don't want to go with original music plus the brain damage of organizing practice, promo, getting gigs etc.

So **** it I said I know I can play bass, let someone else lead, bass players are always in demand. So got a slot as a bassist in a Chicago style blues band and got better on the fly, eventually I taught myself how to play with right hand finger tips versus the thumb or with a pick. 20 years and a few bands later (played bass, keys & slide in one band) later I'm a better guitar player and still gig as a bassist in one band and play tons of guitar with other people.

6. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

I play guitar in one band and bass in another. I started on guitar first 45 years ago and then learned bass about 20 years ago. I can switch back and forth with no adjustment time. I find that playing bass helps my guitar playing and vice versa.

radiocaster likes this.
  7. Big Lug

Big Lug Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Playing bass (2.5 years) has made me more aware of how much I look at my fingerboard while playing guitar (40+ years).

I always thought I wasn’t a shoegazer, but playing the bass has indicated I could still use some work on minimizing that.

Have played with some very good bassists who rarely looked at their fingerboard. Made a conscious decision while learning bass to do the same. It has become second nature now and I am working at the same on my guitar.

Other then that I am finding playing the bass enhances my “feel” for the music.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.