Does my strat have a tele dynamic?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by diverse379, Jan 28, 2020.

1. diverse379

diverse379 TDPRI Member

I have a strat with a metal Pickguard
    And it has a very boomy quality

man I experiencing the same dynamic that the tele pickup in the metal bridge plate has on the tele sound?

2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lets hear it.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It’s probably the pickups and not so much the metal guard. I also wouldn't call the my typical Tele bridge pickup sound ‘boomy’, but some of the Tele bridge pickups did just that, usually with A5 and wound up around 7k @42ga. or higher.

That said, I do prize the Tele bridge as an essential part of the Tele sound. If that’s accurate and accepted, then it can be reproduced elsewhere. Looking at the design, it’s three machine screws suspending the bridge pickup from a thin steel baseplate. The pickup coil itself sits on a metal plate. The string saddles also share the same thin steel plate, and in fact provide some pressure to hold it down, and of course the strings are anchored in the body, but not always.

The only similar thing on the Strat you describe is a metal plate suspending the pickups. If you like it, cool. But too many factors between all the parts and pieces to say something definitive. I mean, you didn’t even say what ‘tone wood’ was used! Lol jk :D

diverse379 and mkdaws32 like this.
  4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For what it's worth, I switched my Strat from the stock plastic pickguard to an anodized aluminum one, and I haven't noticed any real difference in its tone when plugged in. Somewhat when unplugged, but not in a more Tele direction.

diverse379 likes this.
  5. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

No

6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

tone pickguards.

Blue Bill and mkdaws32 like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The magic of a Tele bridge plate is its location/ergonomics for where a player picks, plus no Strat volume knob. Hand rests on the bridge or behind it and picks over the bridge pickup or between the bridge pickup and the saddles. A Strat bridge sits a bit back to the right due to strap buttons and thigh cut plus that volume knob gets in the way.

Now, a steel baseplate under the Tele bridge pickup does increase output because it reflects the magnetic field.

Main root cause is you probably changed the pickup height to the strings when swapping pickguards. 1/8th inch change can push your tone around.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  8. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

That would be the simplest explanation and where to start (adjust pick up height).

9. diverse379

diverse379 TDPRI Member

Thanks interesting insights coming from a Tele forum.

If it is the pickups these are some boomy pickups

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.