Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1hoofer, Dec 12, 2015.

1. 1hoofer

1hoofer Tele-Meister

There seems to be a general consensus that the quality of Fender electric guitars declined from some time after the CBS take over to some time after the 1980s revival.
    Certainly my experience of 2 instruments made in 1974 was not the best.
    But does that matter? It seems to me that this downturn in instrument quality had absolutely no effect whatsoever on the quality of music being made. Lots of great great music was made in Fender's not so good years, and it sounded great too.
    I cannot remember ever hearing someone say "that album sounds lousy because of that CBS Fender on it" or likewise at a live gig.
    So is Fender's alleged dip in quality simply irrelevant?

2. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

It's less relevant if you play well enough to sound good on anything.

3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Well I'd suggest that recording artists were in posession of 'good' examples to start with.

4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

what if people played pre-cbs instruments when they were selling the cbs instruments?

5. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Jimi made some pretty good sounds on post-CBS Fenders.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hendrix, Blackmore, and tons of others made some great music on CBS era instruments.

Players didn't diss them until the collectors started dissing them.

I've played some really nice 70's Fenders. My '70 Tele was the nicest one I ever had.

I've also played some real dogs from the 70's. But... I've also played some real dogs from the 50's and early 60's.

The thing to remember about vintage instruments-

Price reflects age and condition, not sound or playability. A '57 Strat that's an utter POS (and yes, they exist) is worth the same as a '57 Strat that's magic. And the POS is worth quite a bit more if it's in much better condition. Just something to keep in mind.

7. janopack

janopack TDPRI Member

Whether something is good or not is a matter of opinion. Therefore the only question that matters is "what do you think?"

8. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Most of the problems I have seen with them were due to poor quality control and a little work was all that had to be done to make them decent.

Some of them were heavier than I like.

9. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

I don't think it matters that much. Duiring those years there might have been a higher percentage of dogs to good ones. Maybe. But plenty of good music came with players using CBS era Fenders, so clearly there were more than enough good ones, even if some did need a bit after purchase of help.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm in the camp that was unaware of the horrible quality of those late 60's and 70's Fenders....until guitar forums. All Fenders I ever came in contact with were capable of making great music...

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Some examples became very heavy, thick, barely contoured and aneamic sounding from the mid seventy's to the early 80's in my very humble opinion. I have never been a fan of Leo's ""adjustatilt" (what ever it was called) 2 bolt neck thing or ginormous headstock either... There are players like Wayne Krantz and Steve Morse that killed on them however... I love what Fender has done with thier brand since....

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

One of my least favorite strats was this one:
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1449976810.301702.jpg
    It was very thin ice-picky sounding for starters. It had a neck, that with the slightest bump would move within the neck pocket leaving one of the E strings hanging off the fretboard. It was just barely contoured. It was thick, ugly, but at least it weighed a lot... This is but one example, there were uglier ones too... The 25th anniversary at least had a 4 bolt neck if I recall.

It was during this time period that Mity Mite, Schecter and Warmoth came along making old spec parts and people were able to build an instrument like they wanted from Fender. It's why I started building from Warmoth parts 33 years ago...

Fender has totally redeemed themselves since. If I could afford an Eric Johnson model strat I would by one because I've always GASSED for one....

13. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

They made some bad decisions, tech wise. At one point, or so I have read, they switched to wire with thinner insulation, in order to save a few pennies per pickup. The hot wax from potting melted the insulation, causing the pickups to malfunction. The solution, in their eyes, was not to go back to better wire. It was to stop potting the pickups altogther.

14. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I've only owned one '70s fenders. It was ok for a strat but it was sold just a few months later.

I have a '74 LP special,that for a Norlin axe, kicks ass. It was Gibson's first reissue

15. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

What about the 1968 Goldtop reissue? Maybe it did not use that terminology, but it was a reissue.

16. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's all about the guitar being set up to fit the owners needs. Pickups, tuners, pots are just hardware easy to change.

17. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

The Tele Thinline suggests that the reputation of CBS isn't quite deserved... A great idea which seemed to come off very well...

Certainly, I htink the corporate nature of CBS didn't help htings.. loads of managers - same thing happens throughout the music industry though.

18. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

My philosophy is to find the guitar that plays the best and fits your budget. Then modify it to fit you and the sound you are after, regardless of what it does to the value. Then don't worry about what it does to the value because you will play it the rest of your life and never sale it.

19. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

That Strat is one of the coolest I've ever seen. :!:

20. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Meister

Of course Fender’s alleged dip in quality was relevant, how else was a crappy guitar player going explain not getting in the band, not getting signed, not getting groupies etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.