Does everyone think they are a realist?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by coolikedat99, Nov 20, 2017.

1. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

Be the best person you can be. Be of service to others. Sounds easy to me.
    Everything that happens, happens for a reason and what ever happens is the most appropriate at that time. Rationalization for behavior is bad, enjoying life in the moment without expectation is good.

2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Yes - they may be "easily led" by those who appeal to their view of the world and/or promise them the tings they want, in return for their support / devotion, etc. They might also exist at the opposite end of the scale - e.g. amoral / sociopathic loners who don't see anything wrong in killing, stealing, etc.

My own view is that the vast majority just want to do the best for themselves / their families and find a way of getting on / resolving issues peacefully.

3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Whether you're a realist, an optimist, or a pessimist depends on whether the person assessing you is a realist, an optimist, or a pessimist.

I'm a guitarist.

SolidSteak likes this.
  4. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

So we gotta agree on something in order for it to be real now?

Alriiiiiiiight..... ;)

Anywayyyy......I am kinda both. I'm definitely generally idealistic or realistic on a sort of sliding scale from moment to moment based on how much control I really feel like I have over a situations outcome. That feeling is based on experience/assumptions/breakfast (or lack there of) etc.

I'd say I'm a meatsack with consciousness.

So sharks can go ahead and be idealistic about their chances in the water with me while I gotta go ahead and be a realist and get ready to swim for land/poke at it whilst stemming my own bleeding.

5. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

I used to be an idealist. Then I thought of myself as a realist. Now I am a cynic. In a few years I will be a hermit.

Colors likes this.
  6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Usually if someone is calling me a pessimist it's because I disagreed with something they said. Nobody ever calls me an optimist if I agree with them though - then I suppose I am being "realistic" from their point of view.

All *isms aside, whether we take something to be good or bad is only a result of our own subjective judgement. That's the only standard there is. When we make mistakes and look back and say, "huh, I guess I didn't have enough gas to get home after all," we're acknowledging that our judgement isn't perfect. That's an evaluation of one's perception of the world. I think it can be worthwhile to step back and examine our decision making skills and the choices we've made if the evidence points to maybe having poor judgement (i.e. if I keep running out of gas, or if things I thought would work out aren't working out, etc.)

7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So you're one of them!

william tele likes this.
  8. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I know for a fact my dog and parrot in Brazil are calling all the shots. I'm about as tuned into reality as you can get. Message me for easily affordable stock and college football predictions.

9. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Humans are inherently narcissistic...we seek out like minded individuals to surround ourselves with. That's the gross oversimplification of how we developed societies in the first place. Our modern society, being that we're constantly surrounded by news media, social media, and the collective experience of humanity has made our tribalistic nature reach across the planet. As a result, my "reality" is completely different than my uncle's, or my neighbor's, or the guitar picker in my favorite band. My realism is grounded in doing my homework... I'm a sponge for information. My uncle's realism is grounded in his being surrounded constantly by wealthy, white collar dudes. Are our different realities different? Most definitely.

To answer the thread in the title, yes.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a realist.

I cant play as well as Albert Lee.

I'm fairly convinced of this as fact.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The sheep think group are basically conformists. My theory is that conformist have never formed a philosophy. Now, to some of us, they are the "nutters".;):D

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What's so great about being a realist?

Since the dawn of time people have existed and thrived while accepting and building humanity on the idea of things real AND unreal. Even those who call themselves "realists" can't argue with that...;)

(And this is a general statement about MANY things. Don't read into it that it's a commentary on one belief.o_O)

Sounds Good likes this.
  13. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

That puts the majority of us humans in that sheep nutters camps. Worldwide, every person has
    to conform to community standards. even the most die hard non conformists still wear clothes
    when they go out in public.

For instance, The ones pointing the finger at idealistic religiondom or other mindsets, are always the ones
    who consider themselves in the realist/normal camp. They do their daily construct without
    ruffling any feathers or causing any sideways glances from the community.
    Wholeheartedly believing they are the true realists, but when seen from a distance,
    they are the followers of their society's ideals. Sheep.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

"Pessimist" is an objective term.

Every optimist I've ever met calls him/herself an optimist. Every pessimist calls him/herself a realist. Realists who are also objectively considered so are few and far between.

Pickin N Grinin likes this.
  15. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

I am a Dedicated Follower of Fashion! many are like that within their own mindsets i suppose in many ways.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Everyone thinks they're the good guy.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm an atheist and an idealist. What am I doing wrong?

18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd like to say I'm a realist. But I can't. Cause I'm a realist.

Obsessed, studio and william tele like this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

there are only 2 and I Mean only 2 realisms i suscribe to
    1) I have about 20 years if I am lucky before I lose continents at the table and forget who every one is , 30 If I keep myself active before I kick it!( longevity runs in my family )
    2) I am never going to waste my time on crap that has no bearing to any thing, I want to have as much fun as i can squeeze into a 24Hr period, daily and I will not play into other peoples anxieties and get sucked to their black holes.

other than that it's party time!

william tele and Jakedog like this.
  20. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

The thing with that realistic view is if the multi universe concept is true, we could also live in a multi personallity dimension too. Also the multi universe concept is the best explaination of the big bang so far i think imho, with the branes of other universes colliding and re-creating matter over and over, and is also much more understandable than the zero starting point concept, in other words all has existed real from the start and all is just a cylindical reality.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.