Does Distortion Make Everything Sound the Same?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by littlebadboy, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Haaa, this is why I turned off the radio when metal became the fad. It all sounds the same to me. It didn't even matter what band was playing.

BTW, who dimes their dirt box in real life?:rolleyes:

awasson likes this.
  2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Most metal players play with so much distortion that I can barely discern the chords they're playing, much less what kind of pickups they're using.

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Tip of a lifetime. Those folks were loud, not saturated. Beginner misstep, is to over-saturate. I hear it all the time.

ElJay370 and awasson like this.
  4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Smaller amps fighting for their lives sound the best.

ElJay370 and awasson like this.
  5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

He only used humbuckers. Even P90s wouldn't sound different except for background hum, you'd have to get into other single coils to have a noticeable difference.

You should check out Ola Englund's videos. He uses all kinds of different gear and always makes it sound the same.

littlebadboy likes this.
  6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't really play any metal.. my problem with metal these days is the vocals not the guitar.

I do think they tend to gravitate towards a pretty similar guitar tone in a lot of the modern bands.

But the vocals.. I would argue the death scream is "vocals with distortion on 10" and it makes a lot of the singers sound the same and of course makes it really hard to tell what the heck they are singing about.

There are modern metal bands I like though.

As for me.. the only true distortion I have right now is a Big Muff.. you can 100% tell which pickup I'm using on my Tele through pretty much any settings on the Big Muff. Maybe it's different on a Strat or a Les Paul but the Tele pickup is so distinctive I think you can still tell it apart.

I would say I think the Big Muff on the neck pickup might erase differences between some guitars. Take a clean song originally played on a Strat, I think it won't necessarily sound that close through a Tele neck pickup. But a song that uses a Big Muff + Strat + Neck Pickup will sound pretty dead on if you play Big Muff + Tele + Neck Pickup IMO.

7. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

If you think distortion tones are all the same try to get a particular distortion tone. I suggest tones from EVH's first album. Everyone has figured that out by now.

C'mon. I dare you.

Next, if you think distortion masks sloppy musicianship I invite you to max your gain and volume. Play your worst.

C'mon. I dare you.

D_Malone, Cerb and Lies&Distortion like this.
  8. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

All distortion tones aren't the same, they vary, a lot. Distortion however, will negate the subtle differencies between different guitars and pickups.

Will you hear a difference if you plug a vintage telecaster into a cranked JCM800 with and compare it to a pointy thing with active humbuckers? Yes, probably.

Will you hear a difference if you compare the same vintage tele to a brand new tele, plugged in to the same cranked JCM800? Probably not.

9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Amp turned up till it's blowing up, delay into the input of the dirty amp, phaser (I forget where to put it). Bridge pickup? I don't know, I've never been disappointed when I've done that trying to sound like him. Adjusting amp and pedals to sound like EVH is not the hard part... the hard part is the playing!

100% agree... lots of gain & volume is extremely punishing if you're hitting any strings you're not supposed to or failing to mute strings that are going to vibrate sympathetically.

10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Distortion is also a form of compression,after a threshold and ratio it surely makes everything sound the same.

So yes the more distortion you put on an original signal the more you make it sound the same with a different original signal that you have also put tons of distortion on.

That's why I immediately turn off any guitar or pickup review on YouTube that starts with a "dirty" tone.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

My Evolution Two amp is two generations away from a Dumble modified tweed Deluxe. There is only one Evolution Two on Planet Dirt.

I hocked it the day I finished it.

The musician who ended up with it uses it strictly as a clean machine. Me, I cranked it up into feedback and note bloom. Said to myself,

"Yup. Got a good one."

Then it was gone.

Point is if you're not using all the tones you have available you're not using all of it. Might as well clip a couple strings off your guitar. You wouldn't be using all of it like that, would you?

12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It depends on what kind of music you play.
    Personally I never cared about amp distortion cause I mostly play clean with tons of delay and tremolo and , sparingly,use pedals for "dirt" .
    I also don't play "da blues" :)
    Straight to the amp blues players might care about the overdrive capabilities of an amp but for me that are useless.
    I adore low wattage amps (Tweed Deluxe and 18 watters) played CLEAN with Fender style pickups,they sound like angels singing :)

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.