Does country pickers ever use neck pickup

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gambiz, Feb 13, 2018.

1. gambiz

gambiz TDPRI Member

I have a tele with gibson humbucker in neck and coil in bridge... yes they two are not balanced.

But maybe thats not a big deal, i been watching doug seven and those country players and they seems to only use the bridge pickup in 99%.

With that in mind i dont need to balanced the pickups because i have a country axe in bridge and a blues axe in neck, no need to worry about switching pickups while player OR do country players really need the neck pickup?

2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've been a country picker all my life. Toured in bands when the Ray flack\Albert Lee style (80's) was big and thats my style. Most of my life I never had any use for the neck pickup. Playing through my amp at home some tele neck pickups were kind of cool sounding but in a band situation they just would never cut through the mix.
    My new 52 thin skin with twisted tele pickups, the neck on that seems very clear and soon I hope to be in another band situation and I'll see if it works.

Heres a video of Ray Flacke playing the highway 40 blues solo. It sounds like he is blending the bridge and neck and has no cover on the neck pickup. Possibly an aftermarket pickup.
    It doesn't sound bad but no where near as good as the tone on the studio version where he definitely was using the bridge pickup.
    The Ray Flacke solo starts at 1:42

Here is the studio version. The guitar solo starts at about 1:50

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Crobbins, jaytee32 and Smiff like this.
  3. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Vince Gill has been known to downshift to the neck P/U.

Bob

4. gambiz

gambiz TDPRI Member

Thanks golfnut for the clips.
    Im more convinced now that it was the right decision to install a PAF in my tele neck.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Redd Volkaert does a masterful job on all three Tele switch positions.

6. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

I have a Paisley Tele with a Gibson mini-humbucker in the neck position. Probably the best sounding blues pickup I've ever heard. Makes the guitar much more versatile.

7. Telegeekster

Telegeekster Tele-Meister

I sure does!

murdude likes this.
  8. jaytee32

jaytee32 Tele-Meister

Masterclass Neck vs Bridge from Duke Levine :)

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I want to turn this question back on you. You obviously have a sound in mind. You want to play country using the single coil bridge pickup and blues with the PAF HB. You'll hear much more than just that in both genres. I play country, mostly finger style. I use the neck pickup a lot but use mostly blends of both. If you're worried that the neck HB will overpower the bridge, you can lower it some. Some of what I flat pick, I play using the bridge for that classic country twang.

It sounds like you have a pretty nice guitar. Just enjoy playing it. Don't worry about pickups or balance. When you have more experience, think about adding to the collection. That's how some of us wound up with so many guitars.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd look at splitting your neck humbucker. Push/pull, blender, or a 5-way Strat setup since you have three coils to mess with. Neck humbuckers I tend to lower the whole pickup and raise the screw poles 'high' with a Strat stagger pattern for nice cleans. Then if your switching can put those two coils in parallel you can adjust to maximize Strat 'Quack'.

Picking location is important, at the saddles for twang, by the neck for mellower stuff. BK shows how if you watch this enough times.

bigbean, MandyMarie and Crobbins like this.
  11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Only when you play both kinds of music.

"Country and Western":D

Crobbins likes this.
  12. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The neck-pick-up I use mainly for rhythm.

13. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Yeah... "country" can be played on the neck pickup.
    Roll back the tone -yer bridge sounds like the neck.
    Pick near the saddles, yer neck sounds bridgy.
    Middle position........ there for a reason.
    A good neck pickup has all kinds of uses. And if yours doesn't suit you, you could replace it with a Charlie Christian, a humbucker, a p90... or just a different "standard" Tele neck style.
    Knob twiddling, and picking dynamics.... all there to do.

Some folks get the idea that "country" on a Tele just means punchy triplestopping modern shredding and arpeggios. Country picking should match the song, and wailing, crying and screaming are good neck pickup territory.

Matt G and boris bubbanov like this.
  14. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

I really enjoy using the neck pickup. I can't think of anyone I know, off the top of my head, that *doesnt use it* at all...it's super important for your pickups to be well balanced - how do you avoid having crazy volume differences between the two of them?

Redd Volkaert likes this.
  15. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I play the neck all the time. Me, I'd rather keep my neck and bridge pickups balanced, just so I can switch back and forth without messing with the volume. But if your set-up's working for you, then why change?

16. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I've always considered the neck position to be my Western swing tone. The middle is my pseudo Gretschy Rockabilly choice and the bridge is for twang.

17. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I find myself using the neck pickup more on the Tele or the Strat..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.