1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does changing your guitar lead/cable change your tone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TwangyWhammy, Mar 16, 2018.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Probably just cause alot of buyers remorse...lol

2. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I know of several famous guitar tones that were achieved with cheap cracker jack combos... Billy Gibbons was and probably still is notorious for this.

Eddie Van Halen's guitar was a hodgepodge parts caster with a barely functional low output paf... and now a replica of that costs what?

3. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Yes, and I think that's what I tried to express on my first post... it's not so much a matter of 'perception' but more a matter of 'preference' regardless of our individual and personal levels of perception.

A cable that increases or decreases brightness can be a good (or a not so good thing) - depending on our rig set-ups and musical applications. I was just curious to see which things have panned-out well for others.

I realise that starting this thread has the potential to mimic a tone-wood debate (as it often does), but it doesn't have to be.

Thank you for your input.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I prefer cables for the Proletariat

5. dogwatermike

dogwatermike Tele-Meister

Aloha,

I thought I’d chime in regarding the measurement of the perception of sound…. This is a well-established field called “psychoacoustics” that is dealt with in the field of audiology. There are university departments devoted to this. Also, this is useful when designing algorithms for computer speech recognition.

I was involved in a project that dealt with this at work, and was shocked at the huge variation in perception of the same sound by the same observer at different times (huge difference before and after lunch!). That’s why these perception experiments are difficult, time-consuming, and costly – the big variations require lots of measurements - lots of human subjects, and you need to keep the sessions fairly short to avoid fatigue.

An example of a book on the subject is: “Foundations of Auditory Theory,” by Jerry V Tobias, Volume 1, Academic Press, 1970. I’ll list the chapter titles to give all-y’all an idea of the field:

1. Periodicity pitch
    2. Time and frequency analysis
    3. Masking
    4. Fatigue and adaption
    5. Critical bands
    6. Cochlear mechanics and hydro-dynamics
    7. Cochlear processes
    8. Enhanced mechanical model of the cochlea with nerve supply
    9. Monaural processing
    10. Functional manifestations of lesions of the sensorineural structures
    11. Musical perception (finally!)

Cowabunga!

Mike

TwangyWhammy and warrent like this.
  6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

RetroTeleRod and Blue Bill like this.
  7. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

^ So my yummy lunch may have had an effect on my tone?

Oh oh, please please don't let a 'tone-food debate' spring forth out of this! o_O:mad::lol:

dogwatermike likes this.
  8. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, everything does, but then I just use less or more treble/bass depending on the situation.

Recording, bad shielding can give some problems.

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If I can't hear a difference, then for me, there is no difference. This has zero bearing on what anyone else hears, doesn't hear, likes, doesn't like.

If I can hear more highs in a particular setup, that's good. I'll take as much as I'm capable of hearing. I can then dial them back if I wish. But I can't add them if they're already gone.

RetroTeleRod and TwangyWhammy like this.
  10. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

I usually turn my guitar cables around (plug the amp end in to the guitar) to help cancel out any residual magnetic flux that may have developed around the capacitive core. Sounds like a new cable again.

RetroTeleRod and HoodieMcFoodie like this.
  11. HoodieMcFoodie

Doesn't work with directional cables...;)

RetroTeleRod and elmoscafeo like this.
  12. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

But they don't develop magnetic flux like cheap cables do.

HoodieMcFoodie likes this.
  13. HoodieMcFoodie

Possibly, but you can't discharge the residual flux by changing direction, 'cos, you know, their directional.

elmoscafeo likes this.
  14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Get a flux capacitor with a reverse polarity switch. It'll fix you right up!

RetroTeleRod and elmoscafeo like this.
  15. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Well of course people used cheaper gear back in the day too, Clapton recorded with cheap practice amps, like Fender Champs.
    However since you brought up Billy and Eddie you probably know they used Marshalls at one time or another. Have a look at what those cost new sometime, I think Eddie's was a 1968 1959.
    Actually here's some info. http://www.spiretech.net/~benboom/Music/ampprices.htm

At any rate I'm not going to argue about this. The threads about cords, which do actually sound different. Takes a drastic difference for me to notice but I've heard it. Difference can be good or bad and if a cheap cord works for you then use a cheap cord. If an expensive one floats your boat have it. I've been happy with middle of the road decent quality cables for almost 40 years.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    elmoscafeo likes this.
  16. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Cable capacitance is a real thing as stated earlier and is measurable with a capacitance meter........more capacitance = less high frequency. Many years ago when I ran my own electronics sales/service business I had a very good business with car audio of high performance/quality. One day a sales rep. wandered in trying to flog me rolls of "Oxygen Free" multi-strand speaker cable because it improved the "sound quality". I took an extension lead and my oscilloscope and a test tape (cassettes in those days) out to my work van at the front of the shop, cut off about 12 feet of "oxygen free" rubbish from one of his rolls, and hooked up one speaker in my vehicles system and played the tape noting the frequency response for each 1khz advance of audio from the tape.
    Hooked up the other speaker and repeated the process............result...........identical responses from each.

Audiophiles are known to spend heaps of hard earned in pursuit of "audio perfection" and that rubbish was just a cleverly branded product aimed at the market. Apart from cable resistance and capacitance there should not be a discernible difference from ten different cables with similar properties.

If a new cable makes your sound different, it's 10 bucks to a kick in the bum either of those parameters is very different.

DC

LutherBurger likes this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'll just add that I also prefer a cable of reasonable quality for longevity, quality jack construction, low noise, and flexibility - yet no crackle when flexed. Most middle of the road cables satisfy these criteria, but as I said earlier, I really like those FCS cables for the way they handle.

Has anyone used the Kirlins? And also used the Fender CS? The Kirlins get good marks and reviews, but I'm skeptical they're really as flexible. I should just shell out $15 and find out, but each time I need a cable, I chicken out and stick with the known quantity.

WetBandit likes this.
  18. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

To me, cables seem to make more difference with low output pickups, especially singlecoils. It may be an impedance thing, or could be simply that more of their character resides in the high end.

TwangyWhammy likes this.
  19. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Why hell no! I sit in the ex-garage and make C, D, and G all night and nothing changes with what you mention. I have some very nice cables and I went and bought a raggedy anne and there ain't no difference. :)

WetBandit and elmoscafeo like this.
  20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

We all know that Albert Collins used a 100' cable. We all know that Albert was famous for his ice pick tone. A lot of people have claimed that part of Albert's tone came from that 100' cable.

Now people are saying that longer cables= darker tone?

So was Albert's Quad cranked with everything set on 10 with the bass set to 0 in order to overcome the darker tone of the 100' cable or did the cable add to the treble?

WetBandit likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.