Does anyone sell B-Bender bodies?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Oct 30, 2014.

1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I'm buying this Nash Tele and it comes w/ an extra Nash neck (for free!). I've always wanted a B-Bender Tele but haven't ever really loved the Fender B-Bender guitars. I was wondering if there's any companies that sell bodies with P/W style B-Benders in them. I've found a couple American Fender B-Bender bodies on eBay for like $700. It be great if MJT did bodies w/benders. Is there anywhere I should be looking?
    The cheapest one I've seen is the one I mentioned from eBay. It's a black USA fender Nashville b-bender body. It's routed for 3 pickups and for $700 you get the finished body, bender installed, bridge and neck plate.
    Man I likely to find a better deal? I know these P/W style benders get expensive.

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nashville B-bender isn't a P/W bender. It's a P/G bender and that's different and to me at least it's nowhere near as good. You can find them though, and you can't find the P/W bodies.

Why not contact Forrest Lee Jr.
    There are a couple of good B-bender guys on the forum, can't remember their names right off.
    Post on the B-bender Forum and ask if someone will do one for you.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/b-bender-forum/

3. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

I ordered a PG from Hipshot and took a router to a used American Standard. It was easy and fun.

4. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Thanks for the info. I thought they were the same. What's the difference between the PW and the PG?

5. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I was trying to find the B-Bender part of the site to post this in but I failed lol.

6. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Ok so I found a pretty good thread about it on another forum. So I understand how the P/G is much easier to install and thus cheaper.
    My question is, how much better is the P/w than the P/G? Is it worth that much extra money? What are the drawbacks to the P/G? I know a few guys here in Nashville that have the Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele and they love it and never complain about the bender.
    Also, if you got a guitar with a P/G in it, could you eventually upgrade it to a P/W? Or is the routing different?

7. telex76

P/G and P/W are too different to ever swap from one to the other.

P/W has the body route with the bender in the body. P/G was developed to make it possible to put it together on an assembly line. Less body routing and most of the unit sits outside the guitar body on a plate.

P/G works fine, some people have a few issues that they have to solve with them.
    My main dislike for the Nashville B-Bender is that all of them I've ever tried were monstrously heavy.

8. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

What about Joe Glaser? He's here in Nashville and I think he does benders

9. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

10. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

If it were me I would contact forrest lee jr.

11. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Wd sells pre routed bender bodies for parsons white as well as the bender parts. If youre after a parsons bender I recommend Bill Bores. $585 in any tele I believe

12. telex76

He does the Glaser bender which is a completely different mechanism.

13. Chet Johnson

If you want the finest saddle bender I would contact charlie mcvay www.mcvaybenders.com I have a mcvay b bender in my main tele and one in my esquire. Both are flawless, work smooth and silent, and stay in tune fantastically. Ive never had to even adjust the tuning stops after string changes.

If your budget doesnt permit a mcvay, I would recommend andy Kirkpatrick or bill bores for designs identical to glaser for about half the money.

14. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

What is the price range of the mcvay?
    What about the others?
    It seems like the most economical option is to buy a Fender B-Bender Tele body for like $600. I'm sure I'd be fine with the P/G style that's in them. It's wild how expensive these things get!

15. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Wow. After looking at the prices (I knew they'd be high) but geeeeeez. It looks like Joe (who's here in Nashville) will put his B-Bender in a Tele for $545. He'll do a Parsons bender for $595 and the Parsons/White "Long Throw) is $645. What does long throw mean?

16. Chet Johnson

The mcvay benders are $850. Bill bores does a parsons or glaser style for $585, andy Kirkpatrick is in the neighborhood of $500.

If its your first bender, a fender body with bender is a reasonable choice. I bought one new in 1997 . With some modifications I played that as my main gigging guitar for 13 years untilI started building my own guitars and had a mcvay bender put in one for myself.
    As for the fender bender and body alone:

Theyre all pretty heavy. Around 2001 they changed to poplar from alder . You might luck out and find a lighter one but dont get your hopes up.
    Also , there is no tension adjustment on the spring. I found it too loose and caused many accidental actuating of the bender by moving around any. This is easily resolved by cutting off loops of the spring and bending over a new loop . Shortening the spring three loops gave me the desired "stiff enough to not be accidental, but not difficult to use".

Hope this helps.

17. Chet Johnson

Long throw basically means you have to press the neck further to reach a whole step. Some guys like it for slow drawn out bends. To do those slow bends on my standard throw benders I just push slower.

18. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Ok. Is there one where you can press the neck all the way out for a full step but only push it half way for a half step? Or is that basically what your describing?

19. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Thanks. That was really helpful. If I got a Fender one is have Joe of someone here set it up right.
    When you say heavy, how heavy are you talking? For example, how heavy is a typical Fender B-Bender Tele (not just the body, the whole guitar)?

20. Chet Johnson

I think mine was about 9 lb as a complete guitar.

There is no in between stop for a half step. Just a single adjustment for the tu ing point of the pitch it bends to. You could stop pressing halfway but youd have to listen and do that by ear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.