1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does anyone ride a scooter?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jonzer, Jul 11, 2012.

1. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm thinking about getting one. I see I can buy one for $500. I would only drive it three miles to work and back and in the downtown area. It holds two gallons and apparently I can get 160 miles on it.

Do you ride one? I know, it's like a fancy moped...but at 46, I'm not going for image nor do I care. It looks like fun. So if you ride one, talk to me about it. I really don't know much about them other than what I read.

2. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

I don't. But I would.

Actually considered it for a while, just haven't spent the money. Plus, I'm 6'6"... it'd feel like I was in the Shriner's parade.

3. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think that's even more reason for you to do it.

4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I don't here at home (Holland) because a bicycle is more useful in this place. But I just spent 10 days in Spain where I rented a 150cc Yamaha scooter. It was excellent, and if I lived there (or almost anywhere but here) I would almost certainly get one for myself.

If you get one with a 'top-box' - that's a lockable hard-shell storage box mounted behind the seat - you can carry a whole lot of stuff.

You can park anywhere. You can drive at city and highway speed limits, with a passenger. You sit outside in the fresh air and feel the world rushing by.

I say - go for it!

5. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

If you live in Costa Rica or Bali you can carry your whole family one one. Seriously. I've been there and seen it done.

6. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

The Quadrophenia album cover got my attention!! How cool was that scooter?

Owned a few motorcycles but always thought about a scooter. I know, some people think it's weak, but looking at a good one, they seen the most efficiant mode of transport short of peddling.

Thing is, when you get one, all your Buddies start calling you "Scooter". That'd be the worst part...

7. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

Where I live, they call guys on scooters "DUI Guy."

8. sdlotus

sdlotus TDPRI Member

I ride a mo ped.50cc no lic ins Some do think DUI but i'm not.I'm an old guy but i really like it.Gas mileage is good

9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I do but it's barely a scooter....

Suzuki Burgman 650....:lol:

10. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

No scooters for DUI guys here, you walk. We call them The Foot People. You can also see them peddling bikes, but they're still considered Foot People.

What was that old joke about a fat girl and a scooter?

I still think they're cool....

11. TurtleFang

TurtleFang Tele-Meister

Funny.. reminded me of this recent local article:
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/wral_investigates/story/11225951/

"Drunken mo-ped drivers dangerous, but could licenses kill industry?"
    Trauma surgeon Dr. A. Britton Christmas was working early one chilly morning when a drunken mo-ped driver came into the emergency room after a crash. Why was the man driving a mo-ped at 3 a.m. in cold weather, the doctor asked. His license had been revoked. As the doctor soon discovered, this man wasn’t the only drunken driver taking to two wheels, unlicensed.

12. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Those $500 scooters are notoriously unreliable and more often than not, dangerous. Walk that price backwards... the 'importer' (a fly-by-night guy who's 'brand' is nothing more than a box of stickers) wholesales them out for $250-$300... he brought them over in a container from China at about $125-$150 each... that means they left the factory priced at about $60-$75 apiece. Do you really want to trust your life to a motor, brakes, suspension and tires that cost $30-$40 to manufacture and assemble?

I'm a longtime scooterist and someone gave me a 50cc chinese POS that wasn't worth the space it took up in my carport. It was dead slow, took forever to stop, and I couldn't rely on it to start again if I turned it off at any point. What fun.

You can find decent used scooters (read 'not chinese') for about $1500. That's about as cheap a set of wheels you should trust your life to.

13. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Check out electric bicycles - or the front wheel conversion. 6 mile return trip for like 3c.

14. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I've been considering one for a while, but can't make up my mind. I've also been leaning toward electric scooters and electric bicycles. Too many choices. Let us know what you decide.

15. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

yup-I ride my 50cc 2001 Yamaha Vino to work every day, and switch into my Frito-Lay route truck.......

16. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

I have been considering one. The Honda Ruckus has gotten real popular many places and is a popular platform to modify. Kind of the Tele of scooters? I've seen a guy riding an older 'Big Ruckus', a 249cc version that Honda made for a few years. That would be OK if I can find one.

I might need to apologize for all the times I cussed out the tourists when I lived in Key West. Called them 'Dope-heads on Mopeds'. They were a real nuisance. That could be me someday.

17. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

We had two of them for a few years, a 2006 and a 2007. Like you say, "barely a scooter", but a great bike and a lot of fun.

I may snag a Vespa 300 one of these years, just for contrast with my Valkyrie and ZX14.

18. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

Jonzer: I ride a scooter for commuting and errrands. It's a Honda Sh150i, a 150cc scooter. Top speed around 60+ mph. MPGs around 80+.
    Scooters are a blast. They add alot of spice to an otherwise boring morning commute, taking a letter to the post office, or picking up $10 worth of groceries from Dollar General.
    I suggest a full-face helmet (Ideally in solid White) and one of those hi-viz orange/yellow night-time vests like the parking lot attendants employ at your local "big box". Lack of visibility at intersections is the biggest threat to our safety. Get some saddle-bags or some such for groceries; I love running errands at 80 mpg! Ride safe.

19. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Don't put a penny into any Chinese scooter junk. Nothing against China personally, just their scooters are pure crap. Better to hold off, save a bit more and get a used Japanese scooter for a grand. We had 100cc Yamaha Zumas in Mexico City years ago and they were a total blast. We rode them everywhere and for LONG distances. It's great to get somewhere, pop the helmet (you WILL wear a helmet, right?) under the seat and off you go. They're light, though, so it's best to lock them to something.

I have 3 bikes in the garage right now and STILL think about getting another scooter. Get a big enough scooter and you can do a LOT more fun riding then just the 3 miles to work. But remember that the ground doesn't care what you fall off of, so wear the right gear even if you're just puttering around on a 50cc scooter. And learn what an edge trap is NOW or you'll learn about it later and not in a good way.

20. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

Yep, and it's more a small motorcycle with a leg shield than a moped. A moped has pedals, a bicycle with a motor.

I agree about staying away from the cheap stuff. Death on wheels.

I have just over $1500 in my 58' Lambretta rebuild and all.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.