Does anyone prefer the Jazzmaster vibrato?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Dan German, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Okay. I'm sold.

2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I understand it - it just doesn't bother me. I run into more tuning problems with steeper break angles.

3. bigbandtele

bigbandtele Tele-Holic

I’ve made JM bridges with the threaded saddles work fine, but I’m happy with my Jag with the Mustang style bridge. Key to setting up these is heavier strings, and a wound third. Flats for a +1. I never wrap the posts, I let the bridge swing as designed, since it means I can bend chords in tune!

4. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

I have three offset trem guitars; Jaguar, JM Jazzmaster and a Gumby with P-90's from Rondo. Learned a trick of wrapping plummer teflon tape on the bridge studs that fit into the cups, enough to keep the bridge at 90 degrees but still allows a slight rocking motion. Mustang saddles by Graph Tech also help. The JMJM also got TOM saddles from Graph Tech. Love my Bigsby's, the offset trem is neck and neck with them. The trem on my Mustang is a whole 'nother matter LOL.

5. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Had a '63 Jaguar, and the trem was far better than my Strats. My newest Strat has locking tuners, but I'm not sure if that's the reason my trem is much better on this axe. IMG_1125.JPG

trancedental and Lotek like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like em'!
    The tremolo works smoothly and beautifully.
    I'm seriously lusting for a JM, and predict my next guitar will be a MIA reissue of some kind.
    I want a Sherwood Green or perhaps Oly White one, maybe a 65.
    I like bound necks.
    I'd put a Mastery bridge and BuzzStop on it, and fairly heavy flats.
    My first Fender was an L plate sunburst JM.
    I got it used in 1970.
    Shoulda' hung on to it.
    Doh!

7. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Clearly, I was reading the wrong threads. Plenty of love for the JM trem here. Although my copy uses a TOM style bridge, which I don’t think is the best idea.

Boreas likes this.
  8. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

Best vibrato ever, have it in JM clone and US Pro Jag.
    Stays in tune, gentle responsive, perfect sensotivity, not for EVH deep dives for which FR is the best(not my personal taste, by far)..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  9. gunsmok2

gunsmok2 TDPRI Member

AD2FF09F-5150-49AA-845C-F8C77E196599.jpeg AD2FF09F-5150-49AA-845C-F8C77E196599.jpeg AD2FF09F-5150-49AA-845C-F8C77E196599.jpeg Twang Baby!

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I like all tremolo systems and get great tuning stability with all of them by tuning them using the Frudua method (see YouTube). My JM is a Player’s model with tune-o-matic bridge and it works great with rock solid tuning stability.

11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I like the sound and feel of the traditional 6 screw Strat style bridge. The Fender American Performer Jazzmaster comes that way. Also has the standard pickup selector switch and tone and volume control, so no learning curve or reorienting yourself to slider switches etc. when you switch from another guitar.

Jazzbastard.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  12. trigger-cut

trigger-cut NEW MEMBER!

Could you add some details about this cheap Mustang with a JM vibrato? Company/price/etc.? I'm interested in picking up something cheap like this to mod into a Bilinda Butcher-style Mustang.

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. skradlee

skradlee Tele-Meister

I have a collet in my JM trem that accepts a threaded bar, and since they moved the trem closer to the bridge on the J Mascis (and other) models, a strat bar works perfect in mine.

BorderRadio likes this.
  14. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have had a bunch of Bigsbys over the years but the vibrato on my Jag is the best. Subtle and smooth. I agree with those who have said it’s Leo’s best design.

Boreas and BorderRadio like this.
  15. Dan German

See here now:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/review-iyv-ismf-200-vw-mustang-ish-object.1068197/

I’m still enjoying it a lot. I run hot and cold on the pickups, so I don’t know if I’ll replace them or not. If you read the thread, you’ll see that a couple others here have bought them, and there are a few YouTube video reviews of it. (It’s “IYV” not “ivy” for the record.) Sold on Amazon. I noticed the price crept up a few dollars since I bought mine.

trigger-cut likes this.
  16. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Once I switched to 11’s and put in a 1.0 degree full pocket shim, my Jazzmasters became my favorite guitars. That trem is WAY better than the Strat’s. I’m down to one Jazzmaster (CV with that Mustang style bridge) and a Tele. If I need some vibrato, the JM is just right.

Ronzo, Lotek and Dan German like this.
  17. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Yeah... Thats the secret. Offsets get too much slag since its not as easy to set up as others.... good shimming and break angle over the bridge is the secret and at this point there are some excellent Youtube videos on the process.

also - I know its a "popular' option but tom/aom is a usually a terrible idea unless the neck has a matching radius.

To the OPs point: The offset vibrato is pretty much the best out there.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  18. Dan German

Yes, say what you want about the JM bridge design, the TOM-style bridge on my guitar is not the answer. Roller bridge incoming, so we’ll see what that does.

19. Lotek

Lotek TDPRI Member

Dan, which roller bridge did you order? Old school Mustang? I ordered this one hoping to be able to match the radius. My IYV vib with 10's wouldn't return to tune. Today I put on a set of 48-11 power slinky's and installed a .25 shim. Its better but still not right. I will report back after my new bridge is installed. Starting to suspect a stronger spring might be needed also.
    51Gwa2kgzhL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

20. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    JM is my favorite guitar in every way, my particular trem on my JM does not lock like it should, but I don't care. Love the entire package.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.