1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does Anyone Like Stevie Ray Vaughn. . .

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Ryan0594, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I think he has some mind boggling astonishing licks and riffs and a fantastic tone. He has a handful of spectacular songs. But as far as sitting down listening to him for hours on end, no not really.

as far as not improving on Hendrix songs, I don’t know about that. There’s a live version of Voodoo Chile that in my opinion blows the doors off any version I ever heard Hendrix play. Also (again, my opinion) he had a MUCH better singing voice than Hendrix. Despite the god-like status we give Hendrix, I think most people would have to honestly admit that he was not a great singer. And back to the live version I spoke of, that’s really what SRV was...a spectacular live performer who recorded albums as a means to supporting his live show. As good as his recordings were, the live performances are really what wowed people.

As far as the original question, I know several non-guitar people who are SRV fans, though I doubt they hold him in quite as high regard as guitarists.

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

mary had a little lamb was totally phoned in.

Dereksys38 and superjam144 like this.
  3. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

See avatar.

4. JohnnyJumpUp

JohnnyJumpUp TDPRI Member

What song? P&J? If The House is A Knockin' Don't Bother Rockin'? ?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

I’ve been a huge SRV fan for 35+ years. He’s the reason I got into the blues and discovered a world of amazing music and guitar players that put their soul into the music they make. The live version of “The Sky Is Crying” off his greatest hits album gives me goosebumps and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

The same could be said for Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Jeff Beck, Andy Timmons, etc; These artists are most appreciated by musicians.

7. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Was never a huge SRV fan (probably because he was just a little bit older than me and was killing the blues the way I wanted to do...), but always respected and appreciated him.

Never saw him live, but back in 1987 he played a set at Riverfest on Harriet Island in downtown St. Paul. I lived on the West Side bluffs above Harriet Island and that particular year the speakers were pointed my way. I stood in my back yard with some beers and...ahem...herbal tobacco and listened to SRV. It was incredible. A few years ago I found an audience recording of the show and listened to it. It wasn't just the herbal tobacco, it was great.

My experience has been that a huge number of non-musicans love SRV. To the OP, I'm not sure of the difference between the UK and the US, but over here there's a long-standing tradition of people absolutely loving singers who play guitar. From Jimmie Rodgers to Hank Williams to Elvis to Willie Nelson to SRV to Garth Brooks....you get the idea.

One thing I've always loved about SRV: when I started playing guitar in the late 70s, I would learn Muddy Waters and B.B. King licks because that's what I loved and wanted to play. My peers would ask me why I was wasting my time with that old crap, instead of learning the latest speedy licks. By the early 90s, I couldn't walk into a music store without hearing a teenage player doing their best to play something like 'Texas Flood' or 'Pride and Joy'. Always put a smile on my face.

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Yes.
    My wife...my (honorary) sister...my mom...my brother-in-law...my accountant...and many more.

9. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Brilliant player, singer, and he brought back featured guitar playing after all that 80's crap. What's not to like?

superjam144, Jim622 and thunderbyrd like this.
  10. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

everybody LOVES Stevie Ray Vaughn!

superjam144, Bassman8 and RobRiggs like this.
  11. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I think the troll has gone to bed, or maybe they don't sleep in the UK. Haha.

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My acoustic duo partner ( bass, he's really good, sounds 'fretless' but isn't- Ibanez bass) and I got a request at our last Brewpub gig to play " Pride and Joy" by 3 baby boomer gals sitting at a table. ( so, our age)

It was fun as it was a Martin and a bass only, and even though I've played this song many years in blues bands, I've only sung it a few times.

Got a $20 tip! What the heck, it made the girls happy!

superjam144, thunderbyrd and RobRiggs like this.
  13. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

I see SRV as an outstanding talent who incorporated Hendrix and Albert King into his own thing with his own tone which has since been somewhat copied by many other fine musicians, including but not limited to KW Sheppard, and who sadly died a long time ago. And many guitarists are less well known than front men. Lastly, as noted above, most blues rock guitarists are not well known by people who don’t follow the genre.

superjam144 likes this.
  14. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The "Crossfire" single reached number one on the charts.
    So yes, without a doubt non-guitarists were fans.
    He headlined Madison Square Garden, so yes non-guitarists were fans.

Maybe now thirty years after his death it is only guitarists who are fans, but at his peak he was massively popular with people who were not otherwise blues fans.

I can't understand how any guitar player cannot recognize Stevie's greatness and think he does "half-baked" copies of Hendrix tunes.
    It baffles me how someone cannot recognize "Lenny" as one of the most emotional guitar instrumental songs ever done by anyone.

15. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't deny that there's some level of guitar hero worship combined with died young/what would he have done if he had lived level thinking re SRV.

But I think I can answer your question on 3 levels:

First, blues is more complex than we tend to think it is. Delta, Piedmont, Chicago, Memphis, Minneapolis (yes there is a Minnesota Blues style), New Orleans, Texas, Kansas City, and West Coast styles are all different. That's before you get into blues-based jazz styles or "blues rock."

At some point about 25 years ago, I was playing in a blues band that sometimes practiced in my garage. I had a neighbor whose Mariachi band sometimes practiced in his garage. We might have both thought the other guy's band only knew one song. But that would have been to ignore the infinite variations within even one style of blues or Mariachi (and its relations with which I am less familiar).

While fronting a blues band and making up song lists, I made sure that we never did two songs that were stylistically the same. I broke it down our repertoire into 8 different song types based on major/minor key, tempo, Swing, shuffle, 4/4, rock v. funk, etc. And made sure we didn't do the same thing twice in a row.

Second, SRV's style was unique. He wasn't just copping Jimi licks. His right hand technique, in particular, was spectacular. And his songs didn't all sound the same. See comments above about different styles of blues. The difference between his early 80s and late 80s recordings is amazing.

Third, or finally, there was something about those songs, and the way he played them (how many people knew he covered Sonny Boy Williamson--who inspired Clapton to become a real blues player?) that put people out on the dance floor. They weren't dancing because they played guitar.

RobRiggs, Fiesta Red and SRHmusic like this.
  16. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

As with anything artistic people will have their own opinions as to what is great and what is not. I like his playing and singing style. IMHO, he's more than just a Jimi Hendrix cover artist. I think he developed his own style that was unique to himself.

Certainly his music is guitar centric but I don't think everyone who bought his albums were guitarist or guitar enthusiast. Of his six studio albums and one live album they all sold platinum (1,000,000 albums) in the US and four of the studio albums sold double platinum. There's a lot of guitarist out there but there ain't that many.

RobRiggs and superjam144 like this.
  17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

18. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I like him, I like his phrasing and his style, although I dont try to copy/emulate/be like him.. like all my influences, I try to learn/get what I can from their style and approach and apply it to my playing..

BUT with that said, I cannot listen to his album straight.. 2-3 SRV songs is enough, or my ears really bleed from those piercing tones.. my ears get tired really quickly.. its not like listening to BB King, or maybe Grant Green..

Thoughtfree and thunderbyrd like this.
  19. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When 'Texas Flood' then 'Couldn't Stand The Weather' came out, more of my non-musician friends liked SRV than the band people I knew. Then it seemed to slowly turn the other way. Then there were the people (musicians) who said SRV sucked/wasn't legitimate etc. because he "ripped off" Jimi Hendrix, just like Robin Trower did ten years before. Please.

superjam144, Peegoo and thunderbyrd like this.
  20. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Lots? I can think of Voodoo Chile and Little Wing, but that's it. What are some others you're thinking of?

And I think the covers mentioned above are very much in Stevie's own style.

RobRiggs and superjam144 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.