1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does anyone know what type of USA Tele this is?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JoeTheYiddo, Nov 16, 2020.

1. JoeTheYiddo

JoeTheYiddo NEW MEMBER!

Tele Jr likes this.
  2. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Only seen that on the Chinese modern players from a couple years ago

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Dismalhead likes this.
  4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Hi and Welcome!

You own a Telecaster Plus model - a deluxe model based somewhat on the American Standard Telecaster of that era. I believe this version was made from 1989 to mid 1995, but they may not have started until 1990; I do know that they were replaced by a different version in mid-1995. These "Plus" series models were the "American Deluxes" or "American Ultras" of their day, using Lace Sensor noiseless pickups.

The Tele Plus used a single blue logo Lace Sensor in the neck position and a "Dually" red logo Lace Sensor in the bridge position. While it looks like a humbucker it is actually 2 individual Lace Sensors in the same housing; the mini-toggle is stock and lets you select the front "coil"/Lace Sensor, both Lace Sensors, or the rear "coil"/Lace Sensor. The tone pot should be Fender's TBX control - you'll probably feel a little "click" about half-way through the sweep of the knob - the TBX is 2 pots sharing the same shaft; for the first half of the sweep you're getting a 250k pot; for the second half of the sweep you're getting a 1mg pot that greatly enhances the treble.

These have fluctuated a lot in value over the years; in the 1990s/2000s they got a lot notoriety because Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead played them a lot at that time.

Dismalhead, Piotr and brookdalebill like this.
  5. JoeTheYiddo

JoeTheYiddo NEW MEMBER!

Thats brilliant thankyou very much

Dismalhead likes this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

You're welcome!

I should have mentioned that the color the "Fender Lace Sensor" logo is printed in tells you what the pickup is "voiced" like. Fender used 4 variations:
    • Gold logo - 50s Fender voicing
    • Silver logo - "fat Strat" voicing - kind of like a Texas Special pickup
    • Blue logo - 50s PAF-style humbucker voicing
    • Red logo - hot single coil voicing - like a DiMarzio FS1 or Duncan SSL-5 pickup
    When they put 2 of them together in a humbucker housing they called them "Dually" based on the color of the logos; Fender used the "Dually Red" in the Tele Plus and in the Strat Ultra (not to be confused with the current "American Ultra" models; Fender just recycled the name "Ultra"); Lace makes other "voices" now that use other colored logos. Fender parted ways with Lace for the most part in 1998; they stuck around on the Clapton Strat and Beck Strat until 2000, and for a bit longer on the James Burton Tele; they were also on the USA Buddy Guy Strat until it was discontinued in the mid-2000s.

In mid-1995 a second version of the Tele Plus replaced your model. The second version had the "Nashville" pickup configuration - a Tele neck pickup, a Strat middle pickup, and a Tele bridge pickup; on the second version all the Lace Sensors were gold logo/vintage 50s Fender voicing (the middle pickup had a chromed cover that made it look like the neck pickup, but it was Strat-sized), a 5-way switch like a Strat, but kept the mini-toggle to add the neck and bridge pickups together in positions 1 & 5 and to give you all 3 pickups on in positions 2 & 4. They also added top binding and a belly cut to the second version.

Piotr likes this.
  7. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

I remember those. I almost bought a Tele Plus at the now defunct Henri's Music in Green Bay, in 1992. I either got cold feet, or didn't have quite enough cash at the time. Unfortunately, when I went back a few days later, to buy the guitar, it was gone :(, and I ended up settling for a Peavey Generation (Peavey's take on a Tele). It wasn't as good as a Tele Plus IMO, and it went bye-bye a few months later.

8. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I bought Kramer Beretta from that store in 89-90 was just reminiscing about it the other day as a matter of fact

9. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

Looks like a very nice example of a v1 Tele Plus. That's a really cool and valuable instrument, congrats on scoring it.

10. biffnix

biffnix TDPRI Member

11. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Yep, Henri's went out of business in the 2000s IIRC. Remember those goofy La Baye guitars they had hanging from the walls (Bob Mothersbaugh of Devo was shown playing one on the back of Devo's first album)? I read that Henri's was the music shop that pushed for the La Bayes to be made by Holman-Woodell guitars.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.