1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE 2020 BROADCASTER SERIAL NUMBERS MEAN?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Alan T, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Alan T

Alan T TDPRI Member

Might be a dumb question, but mine is V1971094. Thanks in advance.

2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Easy - it means it was assembled by someone born on the 94th day of 1971.:cool:

Crobbins, Bella, rangercaster and 2 others like this.
  3. Alan T

Alan T TDPRI Member

Just as I suspected! Thanks.;)

4. Alan T

Alan T TDPRI Member

V is Vintage Reissue, that's all I can find.

5. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

V = Vintage (also used for American Originals even though they have some non-vintage features)
    19 = made in 2019
    The rest just counts up through the year.

(BTW my Elite Tele has a 15 serial although I bought it in mid-2016, my AO Jazzmaster has a V17 serial although i bought that in mid-2018: so it’s not surprising that a good number of the Broadcasters out this year were manufactured in 2019.)

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Plus it seems like Fender "changes over" the serial number prefixes in roughly March of a given year, so "V19xxxxx" could have been used on American Originals from approximately March 2019 to approximately March 2020.

So @Alan T to get a more exact date you would have to remove the neck and check the date stamps. I suspect Fender put these into production in the fall of 2019 so they were available when they were introduced (in January 2020) so yours was made in late 2019 or early 2020 before they moved on to V20xxxxx numbers - that is assuming Fender made any more runs of the 2020 Broadcasters after they moved on to the V20xxxxx numbers.

AAT65 likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

^What he said...

My ‘63-reissue Vibroverb was made in 1990, but I cracked open the box for the first time in late 1992.

My new-in-the-tweed-case ‘62-reissue Stratocaster is a 1992 model, but I didn’t buy it until 1993.

AAT65 likes this.
  8. Alan T

Alan T TDPRI Member

Thanks all for your replies. So it's Vintage Reissue 2019 number 71094? Wouldn't have figured that out on my own! Cheers all!!

9. Alan T

Alan T TDPRI Member

Will have a look under the neck next time I change strings!

10. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Basically yes. The serials follow date of manufacture, not necessarily model year. So they were building them in 2019 to have them ready for dealers the moment they were announced in early 2020.

I just bought a brand new AO60's Strat. The serial is V17. And when I checked the neck pocket the body is stamped March 2017 and the neck is Sept 2017. The AO series wasn't even announced until Jan 2018. And somehow mine sat in a warehouse somewhere for the better part of 3 years.

11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

They haven't made 72000 Broadcasters. Serials aren't consecutive, so the ones either side could be a bass or another model guitar.

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

My guess:

V = Vintage style guitar
    19 = Made in 2019
    7 = hmmmm.......
    1094 = a "true" serial number

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

If I'm remembering correctly AOs were actually showing up in stores in December 2017, but they would pop up and be taken down because Fender was holding the "official" introduction for the NAMM show in January. So on yours the body was done for an AV '65 in March 2017 but was never used until after they stopped making the AVs and switched to the AOs. Since your neck has a September 2017 date I would imagine it was among the first of the AO '60s necks to be made - that Fender would have stopped making AV necks and started making AO necks around September so they would have AO products available in January.

And as you say the guitar sat in warehouses from call it September/October 2017 until you bought it this year.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Are you sure it's actually an AO? Does it have 9 1/2" radius and 6105s ("mediums"), or 7 1/4" radius and 6230s ("vintage")? Easy to tell the difference, and also easy to tell the difference between the Flash Coat finishes used on AVs and the current finishes used on AOs. Also, you could examine the case that it came with (though cases can be swapped by retailers). Does it have a poodle lining or a shorter, more velvety lining? And what case candy did it come with (specifically the repro owner's manual and hang tags)?

With a March body, I have my doubts that it's an AO, but I'd have to hold it in my hands to tell you whether it's Flash Coat or not. The September neck could be AV...but could also be AO.

Sounds to me like it's possible the retailer had a N.O.S. AV and didn't want people thinking it was "old" (even though it being AV instead of AO is a major selling point in my book). Maybe, maybe not. But it's worth considering.

Bottom line, if you send the serial number to Fender, they'll come back at you with all the information about the instrument. That'll tell you for sure.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  15. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl Tele-Meister

Not sure how the serial numbers work on AV52, but mine starts V12 and is definitely not a 2012. I bought it new, in a fully sealed box in august 2017. The neck date is 27th March 17

16. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Already registered with Fender on the serial. It's an AO. The radius is 9.5" for sure (confirmed with my radius gauges). Also the AV series Strats weren't offered in Candy Apple Red. (the AV65 was Dakota Red)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I don’t but, please DON’T SHOUT! Lol

18. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

MAYBE HE IS HARD OF HEARING?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.