Does anyone know about Sho-Bud steel guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BLACKCAT69, Sep 26, 2003.

1. BLACKCAT69

BLACKCAT69 Friend of Leo's

Good friend of mine has inherted one of these. From early to mid '70's I'd guess. Apparently his dad purchased from player in Charlie Pride's band in the "70's. He has some documentation to corroborate this.

This guitar has two decks with card deck symbols for the inlay. Has 8 foot pedals, a knee controller and a Fender volume pedal. I don't know the name of this right now but can find out. Still has original manual and case. I think this guy paid $2 CDN for this at the time.

Vintage Guitar price guide has a 1978 model that sounds similar to this valued at approx. $900.00 to $1000.00 usd. However I think this is a different model based on the purchase date (pre-'78).

Also, who plays these esoteric instruments? or teaches? Seems like somewhat of an occult art form. I've always loved the sound of these things. Friends have lap steels but this thing is a very cool relic.

I'm not trying to sell this with this post, just find out what I can about these instruments.

2. tenstrings

tenstrings Tele-Meister

its a tough call buying a used steel. its more machine than a regular guitar. and needs regular attention.
    if it has eight pedals that is correct for a double neck guitar, but if it only has one knee lever the instrument has evolved since this was made. most double ten string guitars have eight pedals and at least four or five knee levers.
    the flip side to this is that it worked well for them back in the day, so it might work for you too.
    there are a few people who restore steels, but who knows what yours may need. I dont want to sound pessimistic, but I had to buy three steels before i had one that would work and have the changes i needed to learn on.
    sho-bud hasnt been in business for many years but they did make some very nice steels. in great condition some are quite valuable. unless you are buying the steel from someone who plays it regularly, it may be more trouble than its worth. if it works well, that is a fair price even if you wanted to add a few more knee levers.
    feel free to email me any time and i will help as much as i can.
    brian

3. drangel

drangel TDPRI Member

Sho-Bud

Yes, go on over to the SGF--however you can't post without joining. One of the members could post--I'll do it if you need--but you could also call Bobbe Seymour at
    Steel Guitar Nashville -- http://www.steelguitar.net/ --and he could probably give you the lowdown. If it is the right kind of Sho-Bud it is probably worth a bit more than it books at--but of course there are a lot of variables--like overall condition, what kind of guitar--you are saying a D-10 (8x1)--but is it a Pro, or what? Wooden or aluminum necks? Wide or narrow pedals? Also what is the copedant--chord pedal arrangement? That is which strings do the pedals they actuate? (What does each pedal do to what string--raise or lower it?) This is important as there are two very popular setups for pedals--Emmons and Day setups which are slightly different. Of course, you and your friend could just keep it and begin the madness. I play a GFI SD-12 Universal(8x5) and love it. It is unlike any other instrument out there.

4. tenstrings

tenstrings Tele-Meister

i agree. give bobbe a call at SGN once you have the guitar in front of you. he has always been great help to me.
    brian

5. rcrecelius

rcrecelius Tele-Holic

A good friend of mine recently had his dads old steel restored, I believe somewhere in NAshville. ASk your q's over at the SGF as has been suggested and Im sure someone will give you some info. I'll let my friend know tro be on the lookout for a thread on this subject as he is a SGF member.

6. drangel

drangel TDPRI Member

Forum Questions

You can also go to the SteelGuitar Nashville site I posted above, and then go to the SGN forum. You need to be able to post on EZ Board forums--that is join EZ board,to ask a question--but that is free and takes less time than joining TheSteelGuitarForum--not that I am trying to discourage that at all, but if you really are not interested in joing the SGF, the one at SGN is simpler to get on board with.

7. openbar

openbar Tele-Holic

Sounds like "The Professional" model, which is what I have. In primo shape, maybe worth 1200. It's a great sounding guitar but unfortunately, for them, most modern players think it's too primitive. Must echo the good comments about Bobbe Seymour, and also the Steel Guitar Forum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.