1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does anyone know about banjo guitars?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by FunGuy Jim, Nov 15, 2020.

1. FunGuy Jim

FunGuy Jim TDPRI Member

What is the difference from a 6-string banjo and a banjo guitar?

Boreas likes this.
  2. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Neil calls his a 'guit-jo' ... don't know the specifics of the differences among the names

Frontier9 likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Essentially the same thing. But because there are few manufacturers, designs and specifications can vary significantly - along with the name. Same with the BanjoLin, MandoBanjo, TrumBone, Piccolo Trumpet........

4. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Had a nice one for 6 months about 20 yrs ago. Guitar neck on a banjo body. 6 strings tuned like guitar.

5. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I know that mine is frustratingly difficult to keep in tune.

Wulf likes this.
  6. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Ive got 2 of them...no difference...its down to what folks call them...is it a banjo that thinks its a guitar?...well yes...is it a guitar that thinks its a banjo...well yes
    from what i gather they were a british music hall thing
    something that played like a guitar...volume of banjo.
    my short scale antoria likes to be strung...EAD...octave strings from 12 string set GBE normal....rings like crazy and loud....lovely thing...the other is a stagg with a longer scale...like 28 inch or something odd...horrible thing...both were given to me so its ok.
    to me...its a six string banjo.
    tho hang on...modular construction ...bolt on neck....6 strings...where have we seen that before.????
    a banjo is like a guitar designed by a committee....
    (they also sound nice if you convert them to a wood top...if you do it right....

klasaine likes this.
  7. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

theyre not keen on sudden temperature changes...ive noticed that...much more so than guitars...my stagg is always going out of tune if you so much as look at it sideways...yet the little antoria is a pretty stable and reliable thing...its somewhere in the mix of this,...unfortunately i couldnt get to the vid shoot because of work

8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know about banjo guitars, but I do know my 5 string Harmony banjo is tuned & played like a guitar a la Tommy Tedesco and the only folks who know the difference are real banjo players

Manual Slim likes this.
  9. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I’m a neck strangler and this thing doesn’t want to be treated like that at all. I’ve spent more time setting it up and tuning it than I have playing it. I’ve managed to work it into a few recordings though. That’s more than I can say for some of my “regular” guitars.

Wulf likes this.
  10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

they can be bendy...more than guitars...that can make tuning sound off if your heavy handed the antoria has a zero fret and super low action ..a gentle touch is all it needs....and its a great zingy chord thumper....too heavy on left hand and oh dear....it lets you know alright i never ever use any form of pick on it...great for learning finger picking....get some looks playing it like a flameco guitar

Manual Slim likes this.
  11. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

Mine is tuned to open D. 0.09 set of strings.

12. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

most regular banjos don't use a "low string." Like a Low E would be, on a guitar. The lowest string is usually higher in pitch than the next string. I believe the lowest string on a regular banjo is high G.

the guitar banjos are tuned like a guitar, which would make the strums and patterns different sounding. If I got one, I'd probably replace the low E string with another high E.

13. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

thats why i use octave E A D and regular G B E
    it works fine with acoustic 10s in regular but i like it better with the 3 octave strings...low E can be thuddy if head tension is smidge out...more forgiving the way i do it....and its good for ANY music genre

14. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

Why get a guitar that sounds like a banjer. Just get a
    banjer and learn how to play it.Aint that hard.They are very difficult to play well though...

Pineears likes this.
  15. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Not sure what Ron and Rod called this one, but Rod didn't do half bad on it...

Turtleneck, stinkey and Dano-caster like this.
  16. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

So, Nashville tuning, essentially? I imagine that would be good for rhythm playing, but tricky for single note leads. I had a electric tuned Nashville for a while and it was fun to mess around with for strumming chords along with someone playing acoustic.

Wulf likes this.
  17. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

thats the one...but without the octave G...its too shrill and hurts my aged lugholes...its pretty much good for anything the way i do it with regular G...just need to adapt sometimes...i play surf on mine...and ramones stuff...dick dale to johnny ramone in a blink...and those lil 6 string banjos...they do put a smile on faces.
    if you treat E B G as your bass strings and E A D as your treble your halfway there...but it does take time
    i never use a pick either...fingertips and nails...and theyre great for flamenco stuff too...much more versatile than most people think...the best have a short scale...22 1/2 inch...any longer and they just dont work as well...they go thuddy and horrible...ive got one with a 271/2 i think it is...its dreadful to play sounds like dropping a pebble on a wet carpet...useless to me...my lil antoria is zingy as hell...sustains well and the action is so low you barely touch it to play..it will do whatever you want
    only one wound string...E...i use 10s on it btw..any lighter it sulks any heavier it sulks more
    if you have one try my stringing and just muck about with it...its rewarding and fun
    another thing i like about them though...most banjo players HATE them
    I dont play bluegrass...dont like it...not my thing...but i dont hate anyone or anything ...and music is just music....an instrument is a tool to make YOUR music...no matter what that instrument is

18. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I’ll tell you this sad story about a banjo. A convertible driving friend stopped at the market and ran in, having left his banjo in plain sight. When he came out, some rat some of a gun had left two more banjos in his car.

Oldsmobum likes this.
  19. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing. Both are tuned like guitars, played like guitars and sound somewhat like banjo's. Just like guitars, there are acoustic models and electric (hard body) models, but the names are pretty much interchangeable.

You are certainly on the right path. A standard 5 string banjo has a High G (drone) then D,G,B,D which is the top 4 strings on a guitar but with a drop d.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  20. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Not to forget that the only restriction on what you can do with these things is yourself
    if you can play it on a guitar you can play it perfectly well on one of these they arent a one trick pony by any means
    strung with normal acoustic 10s they work fine i just like the way i string because it works for me and i would love another little antoria so i could have one strung like my nashville with a twist stringing and one strung normally...be nice to record the 2 together ...
    be careful if you ever pop the skin and want a new one...i got an 11 inch one and it wont go on them..they need an odd size..111/8 or something daft...unless its just remo heads that are too tight...dont know about that.
    my antoria has zero fret ..low action and a very low bridge with a bone saddle insert. i found it resonates much better that way...zingy guitar sound and not plinky
    last time i took mine out a group of pretty girls came up and filmed me playing bossa nova stuff...maj 7ths and the like and commented that the sound was beautiful
    not like a normal banjo

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.