Does anyone here roast their own maple neck blocks?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TN Tele, Jul 7, 2021.

1. TN Tele

TN Tele Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Looking for recommendations and some how to help. I want to roast my own maple or ash neck wood. My wife doesn't want me using our convection oven in the kitchen, so I am looking for an oven (or alternate) for my workshop. Is anyone doing this themselves and what are you using, times and temps cooking the wood and results. Pictures if you have them.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  2. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

I’ve seen other threads.....low and slow seems to be the idea

150-200 degrees for multiple hours....some say several hours

im guessing the easiest and cheapest approach is a used electric oven

those can be had for $100

3. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Holic

I’ve always done mine at 350-375F for about 4 hours.

vhilts1 likes this.
  4. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

360 for 3 to 4 hours is what I've done in the past.

vhilts1 and Telemaestro like this.
  5. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Could you use a smoker that holds a consistent temp, like an electric pellet smoker? I realize you probably don’t want a smoky neck blank, but there shouldn’t be as much smoke at higher temps like 350-360.

natec likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've read that "roasting" for torrefication is done with the oxygen removed from the air in the "oven" or kiln.
    Not sure how valid that info is but there seems to be varied info and no agreement on how or exactly why.

vhilts1, RodeoTex and Fretting out like this.
  7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Torrified and roasted are 2 different things in my mind. Torrified is used to pre-age the wood ala Martin in a kiln or autoclave and roasted is purely cosmetic. Martin's torrified tops are not colored at all like roasted wood is. So I'm not sure if advertised torrified wood with that darker color is just roasted.

vhilts1 likes this.
  8. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Holic

I've done 2 necks now, both a huge success. Tell your wife Maple really does nothing, just adds a nice smell of cookies in the kitchen. it needs o be "900" wide oven to fit a blank
    Here's the write up of the first one
    Roasting process.png

IMG_20210224_144416.jpg

And end result IMG_20210326_161152.jpg IMG_20210405_093132.jpg

vhilts1, JohnnyNacho and TN Tele like this.
  9. TN Tele

TN Tele Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thanks for the info folks, I will report back when I get this going. Thanks.

10. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I went into the "home roasting" thing and ran a series of experiments a couple of years ago :).

About all you can realistically hope to achieve is a color change.

When you heat the wood for hours in your oven, you quickly drive all the moisture out of it, and then after cooling it absorbs the ambient moisture from the air.

This really stresses the wood out and if the piece has any tendency to warp - it will - and usually in an exaggerated fashion.

I found out that in the long run, I was better off dying or staining the wood a tan color, instead of getting a tan color from cooking it ;)

Torrefication is a totally different process, done at higher temperatures - which is possible because it's done in a reduced oxygen kiln - otherwise, the wood burns.

After the wood is held at that elevated temperature for the required time, steam is introduced into kiln to stabilize the wood at a reasonable moisture level - this step helps to keep the wood from warping.

There really isn't a reasonable way to replicate this process using your home oven, but I tried anyhow :)

vhilts1, eallen, RodeoTex and 3 others like this.
  11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I have a campfire going tonight. Maybe should have brought some of my gitfiddles

smoothrecluse likes this.
  12. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Most torrifying of guitar wood is done in regular industrial air ovens. The temperature uniformity has to be pretty good as the conversion temperature is not far below where you off gas volatilizes that can start on fire. Convection heating is a must. Enough past discussion in this forum about it that will get you up to speed. No it is not done in a vacuum, the heat transfer sucks at this low a temperature. An autoclave can be used with a shielding gas and steam in the cycle but that all raises the price above what can be done in a regular air oven. I would not try torrifying in a regular non-convection oven. Well, maybe I would but I spent some time working on industrial ovens.

vhilts1 and PingGuo like this.
  13. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

Drop a couple of salmon fillets on it and tell your wife that you're making maple-plank salmon.

14. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Actually my first acoustic guitar was designed around a piece of cedar sold to cook a salmon on.

Greg70 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.