Does anyone here own ore recorded with a 60s ac30?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marquee Moon, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:40 PM.

1. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

I plan on recording with one at the studio I'm going to. I read that Brian May, among others all used a dallas rangemaster with it. Is that neccesary to get an awesome sound out of it? or can you just use a top boost built into the amp? I'm a huge fan of the stooges,beatles,queen, the jam, who all used them. I'm hoping to get a crunchy rythmn sound, some heavy chugging sounds, some jangely stuff, and some queen type leads. Any tips for setting up the amp to save time when I get there? I'll be using an 80's G&L skyhawk, so it won't all be period vintage but I think it will still sound cool.

My current set up that I have been using in my demos, is a tweed fender deluxe reissue, with most of the work being done with an old marshall shredmaster.

2. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

What the rangemaster really does is remove low end. The low end on Vox amps tends to get really flubby, if you know what I mean. It helps it retain clarity. Of course they sound fantastic without one, so they're not necessary by any means.

Marquee Moon likes this.
  3. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I have a 1965 AC-30 TTB (Super Twin Reverb with Top Boost). To be perfectly honest, I haven't pushed it in years. At one point, it was my only amp, but as it became increasingly valuable (and increasingly heavy), I bought a Cambridge Twin Reverb to jam with my old band.

I eventually added a newer AC-15 to the lot, and that's the one I use most now.

In the day, that AC-30 really "turned over" when it was warm and loud. Hopefully you know what I mean. It had a different sound that was difficult to replicate at lower volumes.

I'm hearing a lot about the Ox Box... is that perhaps something that can help you achieve that sound?

Here's my crew... hopefully adding a little T-60 bass amp this weekend.
    20170723_015611.jpg

VWAmTele likes this.
  4. Marquee Moon

recording loud isnt an issue, as the studio has a huge live room. Lovely set up btw!

Chuckster likes this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Brian May's amps have no topboost or tone controls - he used his 'Deacy' device that Roger made for him on much classic Queen recordings. That was a transistor radio modified to a gain device.

These days he uses a lot of offboard signal processing.

Chuckster and Marquee Moon like this.
  6. Marquee Moon

Do you think I could get the sound with the mix if I just plugged straight into the amp?

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

If you don't have any way of trying your guitar with that amp before the day of the session, I'd play it safe and bring some pedals with you. You may need them, you may not, but remember the Boy Scouts Motto...

I like the "Fuzzface as clean boost" trick with Vox amps. https://www.tdpri.com/threads/fuzz-face-better-clean-tone.341222/ But with an AC30 that'll still be pretty loud.

Chuckster and Marquee Moon like this.
  8. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

FWIW I'm mostly ignorant of your situation on the whole so please take the following comments with a grain of salt.

1) I haven't played a lot of vintage AC30s but I have been struck by the variability among the few I've tried. I guess this comes with the territory with old amps. But I played one that was really low gainish and warm sounding and another that was really thin and bright--yet I'm pretty sure they were the same model and era (mid 60s top boost). I guess I'm saying be open to the possibility that it just isn't going to sound like the idea that's in your head because there's no way of knowing how that particular amp has aged or was sounded in the first place.

2) They were lower gain than I expected, even on the brilliant channel. So to get the kind of gain levels that I think you're after (basing this my memory of other comments you've made in the past--which absolutely could be wrong wrong wrong--I'm guessing you want a fair level of saturation and crunch in line with a more old school punk influence/sensibility) you're likely going to have to crank the #$%! of it to the point that your bandmates and the studio dudes are not going to be happy campers. So think about how you might deal with this.

3) Kind of a natural outgrowth of 1) and especially 2) --> Definitely consider bringing/using pedals. Because the amp may not have the gain you want. It may need to be goosed in order to get the right kind of tone at the right volume for the room. So be prepared, you know? If the studio has a vintage AC30 they probably have a decent collection of pedals. But I'd want to have some boost options and some OD options. I am fond of treble boosters on vox amps, but really any brighter OD will work. Hot Cake, Bluesbreaker-based designs, Distortion+, even the good ol' Blues Driver and Super Overdrive work well with Voxes IMO.

Sounds like a good time, all in all! Enjoy it, my friend!

Marquee Moon and Chuckster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.