1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does anyone here own any celebrity owned guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tybrown, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tybrown

tybrown TDPRI Member

Does anyone here own any celebrity owned or used guitars, amps, or effects? Do you have any stories about how you came to own them?

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well celib, I dunno, but I have Melissa Brock's / Superchic Dano U2. 90s U2 RI in Daddy-O-Yellow is quite the tone machine dirty for slide. Got it from a local NashVegan..

Attached Files:

3. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Best story I've seen on the subject was from a guy who bought a telecaster from Marc Ford. Wish I could remember who it was... wonder if he is here?

4. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

My Collings D2h was owned by Scott Coney, who currently plays for country superstar Alan Jackson. He has also worked with George Jones. When I bought it, Scott sent me a photo of him playing it at Carnegie Hall. He also used it at the Grand Ole Opry, and who knows where else. So, while it was not owned by a celebrity, it has been played at some really great places. I always tell people that my guitar has played much better gigs than I have.

5. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I didn't own it... but I had an opportunity to play this one for a couple hours several years ago. I was even given the chance to buy it, but declined.

In case you don't recognise it, it was John Beland's.

Attached Files:

6. nogin007

nogin007 Tele-Meister

I almost owned one, if that counts. Back in the 80's, the first Yamaha APX that a local dealer was able to get was one that had been played by Wynonna Judd. It was the white one that was on one of her album covers. It played better than anything that I had played at that time. I still kick myself for not buying it.

7. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Ray Flacke's guitar

Telecaster virtuoso Ray Flacke pictured here
    [​IMG]

Sold his guitar to TDPRI member Telecasterbastard

Here is a picture of some guy trying to play it at the Continental Club in Austin a few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    :lol:

Maybe TCB will chime in and tell some history of how he ended up with the guitar

Lost_N_Austin

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I bought an Ed Claxton Br. RW cutaway from Eric Johnson a long time ago.
    I also bought Redd V's BF Twin with 1 JBL AND 1 EVM12L.
    When I learned they were not "contageous"(sp?), I did not keep them.
    Doh!

9. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Me, no. But a good friend has an SG that Henry McCullough owned when he was in Wings.

10. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  11. BillÆ

BillÆ TDPRI Member

Well, I own a Les Paul Classic Plus of Cesar Rosas (Los Lobos)

[​IMG]

And Elliot Easton's Arpeggio Korina (He says it was in his possesion for a day...)

[​IMG]

I'm considering trading this one for an LH Esquire, preferably the 59' RI. Maybe something else, maybe keep it...

Cheers,

BillÆ

12. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought a Gibson J50 from a guy that got it from Willie Nelson.My son now has it.

13. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Do you mean actually PLAYED? My daughter won a guitar signed by a bunch of artists, including Lynryd Skynyrd, and Gretchen Wilson...does that count? LOL!

14. mort

mort TDPRI Member

I bought a Strat off of one of the guys in 7Mary3 a while back.

And I sold an old, but pristine, Polytone amp to indy film star Vincent Gallo.

That's about it...

[​IMG]

15. Thinliner

Thinliner Tele-Meister

I own a Bill Nash blackguard owned by Brendan Benson of The Raconteurs.

http://brendanbenson.com/index.php

There are a bunch of pics of him playing it live on his website.

He bought it new and played it for a few years before trading it at the Nashville Guitar Center for a vintage Tele. I bought it from the GC the day after he traded it in.

It's a really great guitar!

[​IMG]

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

It's rumored that Elvis Costello bought the '66 Rickenbacker 360-12 I used to own. Hey, Elvis, want to sell it back for the price you paid?

17. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

And the minute that he paid for it, its value probably doubled just because it was "his" and no longer "yours."

18. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

I didn't own it, but I did play the Gibson SG that belonged to Rod Price of Foghat (a '64 Cherry Standard). The same guitar used on "Slow Ride" amongst others in Foghat's heyday... the guy that owned it used to work at Thoroughbred Guitars in Clearwater, FL back in the 90's... guitar seriously had the mojo going on...

Another guitar I had a chance to play (and buy, if I could've scraped up $300!) was a non-reverse Firebird that apparently belonged to Hughie Thomasson of The Outlaws... the story goes that he traded in a bunch of stuff including the Firebird at Thoroughbred Guitars (this time in Tampa)... it was stripped to bare wood, converted to some sort of humbuckers, but the tales that guitar told me... unfortunately, my wallet said no (kids came first!)

Franc Robert

19. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I have a '50 ES5N that used to belong to Ernie Isley. It's a guitar not normally associated with him but he apparently used it alot. 3 yrs after I bought it I was contacted by the music store where I got sayin' he wanted it back, at the same price I bought for. I always wondered if this was really the case or if the music store was tryin' to scam me. I didn't sell it back. I also have a '59 Pro that I bought fm Junior Watson. Great amp, still have it too.

20. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I once had a battered Jet Glow Ric 360 (fitted witha Bisgby) that supposedly belonged to Martin Gore of Depesch Mode..
    I can find no photographic evidence of him playing such a thing, so I have my doubts, but anything is possible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.