Does anyone here make their own guitar cases?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Davecam48, Dec 3, 2019.

1. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So. Much. Work.

2. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

I build my own cases, not to save money, but because I can make something cooler than I can buy. It's like building guitars.

I started with the ILTMS video that @RickyRicardo posted. I'd be happy to share more tips and photos if you need it.

The LP case below was my first. Be aware that heavy vinyl like this adds a LOT of weight to the case.
    IMG_20181127_185924.jpg IMG_20181127_185941.jpg

For this one, I sprayed the tweed with lacquer after it was on the box, but before inserting the foam and fabric.
    IMG_20191114_170010.jpg IMG_20191114_170024.jpg

3. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thanks for all the replies guys...........lots of great ideas of course. I understand well how to make a wooden case but was hoping someone may have devised some kind of light-weight method of doing it. A few years ago I bought a French "Crusader" acoustic guitar from a friend's music store in China and he threw in a case for the equivalent of about $10 Aud.

It is a strong construction which has a moulded top and sides and is stitched around the top and bottom edges and well padded with a storage lidded / neck support section inside. The case material seems to be some kind of thick industrial cardboard which is probably steamed and pressure moulded, then covered in black tolex type vinyl and stitched. Great case and was so cheap.
    I might check with some signage guys around here to see if material like that is available.

Thanks for the interest.

DC

LeftFinger likes this.
  4. Guitarbrewer

Guitarbrewer TDPRI Member

Built this last year.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Barncaster, tigger, Mr_Q and 4 others like this.
  5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I wonder is something like this would bend in narrow strips. It would require some epoxy or cyano to put the parts together.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PLASKOLITE...VDW6GCh1kyg2-EAYYBCABEgKMovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

6. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's similar to what I had in mind Marty. Years ago when I was in real estate we used to have our signs printed on that style of sheet, flat plastic on either side of a corrugated core. The whole thing would have been slightly less than 1/4" thick but rigid enough to not flap around in the breeze too much. The main difficulty I can see is the gluing up process. You might have to reinforce it with a skin of very thin MDF (or similar) internally. A dedicated holding jig would be a must I'd say. Might have a scrap of it laying around somewhere. I'll have a play when I get time!

DC

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

The bassist in my band back in the day worked at a wood shop making boxes. He made a case for his bass. Looked really cool but weighed a friggin ton.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Beautiful.
    And so easily portable with the included two-wheeled dolly. :lol::lol:

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

I acquired an SG years ago that came with a hand-made plywood case. Looked like [email protected], weighed a metric tonne but you could probably have driven a car over it without any problems.

Like most hand-built cases, it was fine for storage at home, but a nightmare to take out. I tried it once, never again. Got a 'proper' case soon after.

I think that a cheap case is perfectly adequate to store a guitar in at home.

If your guitar leaves the house a lot, and especially if it spends ANY time in the 'care' of someone else, then you need something a bit better to protect the guitar from the inevitable knocks and bashes that will occur.

10. Guitarbrewer

Guitarbrewer TDPRI Member

Exactly! I also mounted backpack straps on the back, so it's only problem is you need to walk sideways through the door [emoji3]

It actually has wheels, so it is movable inside the room.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.