Does anyone here make their own guitar cases?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Davecam48, Dec 3, 2019 at 6:14 AM.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just looking around what my wife calls the "rubbish room"where my guitars and stereo equipment and computer are housed. Sure it's fairly messy but I seem to know where "stuff" is if I need it (unlike my sawdust factory/shed/workshop) Looking around just now and I have five guitars built by me (all workable but neglected) leaning in one corner, four hanging on the wall including a classic Maton semi-acoustic which I bought when I first left school, and a Hondo 335 replica and a Les Paul Junior copy branded Robison, and a Squire strat.

All great units but untouched for years and in great need of a good clean-up and perhaps clean-out.

If cases were cheap I'd get some and clean them all up and store them away somewhere but thought about making my own which could be interesting, but, probably near as much work as building a guitar.

Being no good at upholstery "stuff" I wonder if any here have a scathingly brilliant method (and cheap) way of making their own??????

DC

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

This is on my bucket list. I'd try a wooden rectangle first with some hinges and hasps. Then saw off the top on a table saw. Kind of like making a jewelry box, only more difficult to hold on the saw or router table. One time I was at the flea market and somebody was selling these custom cases for jewelry or art displays...I don't know what really, which were like a large attache case. They were very cool. They were probably 1/8 to 3/16 sheet goods with some vinyl covering.

PingGuo likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I considered it but you can get decent cases on ebay for about $60 bucks delivered that are light and better than I could make for that money.

You could build a vault to house them all in for the cost of some plywood and screws, scrap pine frame.

Its probably cheaper and easier to just buy an old pine wardrobe on gumtree etc and store them in that.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    unbridled, nojazzhere and Dismalhead like this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I watched a video or two on YouTube about how to make a guitar case. It seemed like an awful lot of work for something that would be ungodly heavy. Used cases turn up on Craigslist now and then, and over the years I have been able to snag them for $40/50.

Dismalhead likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Gig bags on CL can be inexpensive if you are patient and watch for them. Hard cases can be reasonable.

One guy on one of these forums said he buys guitars with gig bags/cases to sell the guitar for the same or a little more price and keeps the bag/case 'for free'.

You could wrap the guitars in old blankets and a plastic yard bag, or even get a stack of Kraft paper leaf bags to put a guitar in each one, fold the top down and lean them all in a closet. That would be better than the Y Malmsteen pile of yellow Strats shown in his studio tour video.

I built a plywood double guitar case several years ago like Guitarbuilder mentions. Screw a box together and then cut a lid out of the top to add hinges and a clasp on. I used too thick of plywood 7/16ths plywood scrap sheets, so it's heavy but it was only meant to be a storage case. Get a sheet of hardboard with solid wood reinforcements would work well and be light and inexpensive.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+build+guitar+case

I had watched this a few years back.

Deeve likes this.
  6. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

This reminds me I've got an old Gibson chainsaw case in the loft that needs new hinges and a lock.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

7. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

If you are interested in building something, perhaps something like this would work well in your situation?
    [​IMG]

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I just picked up a brand new hardshell case for my SG for $45 from Musician's Friend. Brand is Musician's Gear. Got it last week and it's pretty nice.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I got a generic case from Musician's Friend for my latest build.....$60 with coupon. Black "Tolex"-ish covering. Only flaw, it allows the guitar to slide "fore and aft" about 6", so I put a rolled up towel under the neck at the heel which prevents that. I have a discreet stencil of my last name that I spray paint on each side. Helps identify a common-style case when out at a "get together". (I had someone accidentally pick up another Tele in a "red label" Fender case once. There were probably three or four of those at a jam, and a guy's wife innocently thought it belonged to her husband. No problem....got it back easily.)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Somebody asked me about building cases on the weekend. I don't think it's something I would want to do and the cost may not be any cheaper than finding one on sale. I'd look for something used. The dresser idea that Verne posted above would be interesting. How about building a rack out of PVC? Lots of videos on that.

EDIT:
    Here's a decent video to give you an idea. I would price out the cost of the pieces and see if it's worth it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    LeftFinger and Mr_Q like this.
  11. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

I may want to check back on this thread, as I've collected a good bit of dense foam and upholstery leather (from feral urban couches I've skinned in the field).
    The kid in the vid (post #5 above) made a nice case.

Peace - Deeve

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I made one from solid walnut close to 20 years ago. Between the work, the weight, and the cost of hardware, I wouldn't do it again. The case is heavier than a guitar, hardware is about the same cost as a case, and the amount of work was high.

13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I have a mandola, 18" scale, single mini-humbucker in the neck position. Too large for a regular mandolin case, too small for a guitar case, really. Since I was remodeling several parts of the house at the time (office, bathroom, etc.) I had some scrap material in the garage. So I made a rectangular case from scrap wood, had to buy hasps, hinges, black felt and foam, but that was maybe $15. The time to do it, however, well, let's just say I'm slow. Looks ok, a little on the heavy side, but does the job.
    Mandola, Eastwood Airline, sweet neck pickup:
    lil ol mandola.jpg

case, in a Tulsa hotel room, pine sides, plywood top and bottom, spruce dividers, leather trim and handle from old belts, etc.
    Mandola case.jpg

and the inside:
    1.7 11 2016 372.JPG

14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Now I have IKEA Gas!!! That is too cool!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

I once had to assemble a case for my custom-made doubleneck. Even starting with the raw box (case top and bottom) made by the guy who made the instrument, covering it and putting the hardware on was a major pita and I swore I'd never do it again.
    But then a few years later I made myself a pedal board out of plywood. When I was done I realized I had done it all again, with the added work of building the box.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Check the thread about making your own pencils, those guys do. :lol:

CCK1 likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

FYI, guys.....when I bought my first Stratocaster (long time ago) the owner of the secondhand shop threw in one of those molded plastic Peavey T-60 cases. Fit very well. The guitar was stolen, but not the case. I need to check to see if a Tele fits. Ugly a** case, but very functional and protective.....and with Peavey on the side, it might help prevent theft, too. ;)

chauncy and teletimetx like this.
  18. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted

I built this one earlier this year. Couldn't find one to fit that wasn't $$$$. Cost me about $100, but it works for me! IMG_7733.jpeg

19. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I learned a long time ago to build to fit available cases, but I might be doing it again if I build the doubleneck for my son. When I need a custom case I have had very good luck with Cedar Creek (the custom branch of TKL) but they are very expensive and very long delivery.

20. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

Cedar Creek stuff is top notch. Ordered one for a Rivoli bass years ago. It took about three times as they said it would and cost 2-3 more than any other case I’ve ever bought, but it is incredibly high quality.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.