1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does anyone have Doug Seven's 3 Pillars of Soloing?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by rich2k4, Dec 4, 2015.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

Is it worth the money? What exactly does he cover?

Most of the country players I admire, view the fretboard in terms of triads and they say that they usually play out of the chord shape. I get the general idea of it, learn the triads all over the neck, learn the associated major scale and pentatonic scale for each triad, and then make melodies. Basically when the chord changes, switch to playing something from the current chords triad/scale/pentatonic.

While this is a simple concept, it's still not clicking for me, and nothing I play sounds good to me.

I am looking for something to explain it in a different way, and to provide examples of navigating the chord changes of a country, blues, jazz tune using this triads concept.

Does Doug Seven's Pillars of Soloing cover this? It is pricy at almost $200. I actually bought his "Triads Mindset" lesson thinking that it would be what I am looking for, but it isn't, and he doesn't cover a lot.

I don't want to land in the same situation again when I feel like I have wasted my money. Anyone with any insight on this course, if you can please provide a review, that would be great.

2. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Afflicted

"I am looking for something to explain it in a different way, and to provide examples of navigating the chord changes of a country, blues, jazz tune using this triads concept.

Does Doug Seven's Pillars of Soloing cover this? It is pricy at almost $200. I actually bought his "Triads Mindset" lesson thinking that it would be what I am looking for, but it isn't, and he doesn't cover a lot.

I don't want to land in the same situation again when I feel like I have wasted my money. Anyone with any insight on this course, if you can please provide a review, that would be great."

+1

3. Bill Hell

Bill Hell Tele-Meister

When you play out of the chord shapes there are certain runs that are built in those chord that fall right near the chord and you have to fool around with these runs enough to get them to where they are in your instant recall and you can play these on the fly with out thinking about it.

I watch and try to learn from a lot of DVD's but I think there does come a time when you have to just play along with old country songs and playing the melodies on these songs out of these chord shapes to learn those run patterns because that will become your base. rather than trying to memorize a bunch of random licks off of some video that you may not be able to apply. That's where I'm at anyways.

On the Doug Seven stuff I think I want to get his Jazz video. I bet it's pretty good,His stuff usually is.

4. rave

rave Tele-Holic

He has a new transition licks course out with a much lower price. Maybe check this out. It is also designed to help you follow the changes.

5. Bill Hell

Bill Hell Tele-Meister

Now this goes against what I just said about learning random licks that you can't use. But this guy is such a good guitarist and the licks while not hard are so useful I thought I should pass it on. But I do think that it's only right to buy the DVD rather than watch it on youtube..It's only like 15.00 dollars and this is how he makes his money. Not right that somebody just posted this.

Larry Maccabe books are pretty good to. I have this one I think it's called Nashville guitar but it's like 25 solos and the notation is really old school. But the solo's are delightful and it comes with a CD to help get the phrasing. Good stuff.

6. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies, I've gone through almost every instructional video out there, but I am specifically looking for information on Doug's 3 pillars of soloing at this time.

7. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got it. Glad I did.
    Will it cover what you want? I don't know. It was more useful to me than the Triads Mindset.
    Like any video series, some stuff you will find real useful, some you probably won't.

8. PapaH

PapaH Tele-Meister

3 pillars is basically a lesson set on how he solos over 4-5 of the standard caged positions, using the composite scale and some diminished ideas. Pillars 2 and 3 are all based on learning an example solo over a specific style of song (ballad, "Sit Here and Drink", 12-bar blues, "Swingin Doors", etc.).

It's a really good course, but I'm not sure if it's going to answer exactly what you're looking for.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.