Does anyone gig with their kit built amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by HolyTele Tube, Mar 1, 2018.

1. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

Im playing tomorrow at a nursing home and thought that I would bring my Weber 5f2a to play low volume country backup. I turned it on this afternoon and it was dead. After a little searching I discovered the preamp tube mysteriously went bad. It could have been the tube (a very new Tung Sol 12ax7) or it could have been something I did wrong. Either way im not so confident in playing it out and I’m leaving it at home and bringing the Blues cube hot 30 instead.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  2. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I have kit and scratch built amps that I gig regularly.
    If something screws up, you have to do some trouble shooting. Once you chase the bugs down, all will be fine.
    Take a backup amp and play the kit build.

HolyTele Tube likes this.
  3. HolyTele Tube

Thanks! I might do that.

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's a nursing home, just bring the acoustic

kafka and HolyTele Tube like this.
  5. HolyTele Tube

I usually do but with two guitars in the group I thought about switching it up.

6. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

I use my Ampmaker SE5 kit in a home made 1 X 12 for duo gigs. Works great.

7. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

I used my home brew 5E3 for a few years before I landed my '54 Deluxe. Now, I bring the home brew and leave it in the truck for a spare.

It always worked fine. Still does, just use one I like better.

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. I built a Weber 5e3 they worked great. Alafter a year or so I slowly converted it to a 5e5 as best I could. When I finally blew the power tranny (to a couple of years) I had the amp rebuilt to a proper hot riffed tweed pro.

I realized that while I enjoyed building the kit, and tinkering with it I really wanted use my little free time to play guitar not tinker with amps. That is why I had it rebuilt by someone qualified.

9. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Ive got 1 amp built by George at Metro Amps. LTD ED GMP45/JTM45. NOS glass all around.

Ive got 2 x Valvestorm GMP45 Metro Spec LTD ED Kit Amps of the same components, ( Mustards/PEC A/B Resistors ect ) and put together by a really great tech.
    1s as good as the other.

10. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

I have, both with my BFSR and tweed Bassman builds. The 5E3 is my favorite for rock sounds, but it's gotta be the right situation. Either a quieter stage/drum kit, or I don't need any cleans.

HolyTele Tube and muscmp like this.
  11. HolyTele Tube

Thanks everyone! I think I may try it. I think having my first tube go kind of rattled me. I may try it anyway.

troy2003 likes this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Ampmaker have cool, very giggable amps

I used the Ampmaker N5X mini plexi version of that amp this Wednesday through a DIY 1x12 cab running a 6L6 in SE. Was a small room and was cranked right to its sweet spot. Perfectly fine.

I often use the ampmaker P1800 18w too but it let me down once recently and i need to check it over before i take it out again. Bad tubes possibly.

13. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sure! I have used nearly everything that I've made for gigs. The 5E5A clone is my go to, along with the stand alone reverb tank. I have also used my "Creme Brûlée" Clone, 2 different "Harvards", my 6g3/9, and a 5F6A that I made for a touring friend - that one just to make sure it was solid before handing over..... Naturally:D

14. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

Best moments of my 'career' were the sound guy asking what the hell that was, sounded like the Stones, when the other guitar player was soundchecking my homebrew 10 watt wonder closely followed by another guitarist in a band we shared kit with asking the same.

15. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I built myself a Mission 5E3 several years ago and have gigged with regularly since then.
    The only thing I've ever had to do with it is replace the tubes.

One of my all-time, favorite amps!!

DavidP and HolyTele Tube like this.
  16. HolyTele Tube

I had the 5f2a in the car today with every intention of playing but when we arrived the unit was under flue quarantine. I guess there is always next month.

17. pdouds

pdouds TDPRI Member

been gigging with my Allen Encore with tubes that are older than Me for years!

18. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I've never built a kit amp. And the only amps I practice with or gig with amps that I've built from scratch (or gutted and reused the iron/chassis). I know a few folks who gig with kit amps they've built.

I don't really see why one would even question doing so!

OneHenry and JD0x0 like this.
  19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

My kit built amp is an Allen Encore head, built by an enthusiastic, tech minded guy who really appreciated David Allen's ideas. This was before he even sold kits. The guy bought all the parts and a schematic from David A, had his own head shell and faceplate fabricated. He did a really good job too. One cold solder joint in more than 10 years of ownership. As reliable and good sounding an amp as I've ever had. Generalizations simply don't work. Which kit ... who built it ... how attentive and skilled was/is that person? The details mean everything.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    OneHenry and HolyTele Tube like this.
  20. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

My 5e3 has seen it's share of stage time. I love playing it. But the best part is how more times than not, if another guitar player is in the room, they usually come over at some point and ask what I'm playing through. Younger guys always ask what pedal I'm using, older guys ask what amp. Funny how that works out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.