Does Anyone Gig with a 4 X 12" Cab?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Paul in Colorado, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I may be part of a project that is inspired by '60's British Bands like Cream, Led Zep and others. I thought it might be fun to get a 4 X 12" cab. I had an beat up Ampeg 4 X 12" some years ago that I liked. It put the amp closer to eye level and gave me a shelf to put things on.

Some folks say they're too loud and too heavy to move around. I figure with low watt speakers and wheels and handles, it'd have to be easier to move around then my 2 X 12" with JBL's.

If you use a 4 X 12" what speakers are you using and what kind of head is powering it? What kind of tone are you going for?

2. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

My 4x12 days are waaaaaaay behind me. It's too much speaker for most venues anymore. However, I have on occasion used a Marshall 4x10 cabinet with G10-35 speakers and a blond Bassman head. That sounded pretty good, and was a lot easier to schlep around than a 4x12. I also had a matching 2x12 Marshall cabinet, but you know how cumbersome stacks can be. No thanks.

The 4x10 cabinet is much smaller than a 4x12, but most people can't tell the difference. If you rally want the look but not the weight or size, track one of these down. I think they were the matching cabinets to a Marshall 2204 50-watt head.

3. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

I found an old thread on the smaller Marshall cabs. Dust off the cobwebs, and watch out for zombies

Braaaaaiiinnnsssss!

4. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

I used to, along with a Mesa Dual Rectumfrier - not on the musical situation you might think though. I was in an 8 piece funk band, & with a 4 (sometimes 5) piece horn section, things got loud. The Mesa's a lot more versatile than people think...

Anyway, if you need big n' clean, or big n' a lot of low end, or big n' loud, a decent 4X12 will deliver the thump like nothing else. It *is* really heavy though, & can be a challenge to situate on a small stage.

Mine was a "standard" Mesa 4X12, but I also had an old Marshall slant front with whatever the stock Celestions were, & a Fender M80 cab, which was surprisingly light (for what it was) & sounded fine. Not sure what was in it though...

5. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I play a Marshall G100 through a Behringer 412. It's an older slant cab and I don't know what speakers are in it, but I love the sound I get. I have used a 410 Carvin, also, with t eh Marshall, and at times used a full stack, but the single slant to my ears gives me the best tone even at low volumes. The only time when I don't use the 412 on a gig is if space is tight on the truck, in which case I use my old BFSR because it takes up less space.

If you get the idea that I don't like to gig with little amps, you're right. <G>

Justin

6. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

I've been gigging with a Crate V33H/V412A half stack. It sounds great, but everything you've heard about how cumbersome a 4x12 is to schlep around is true.

I got it because AMS was blowing the cabs out for $200 a pop, and I'd just picked up the head from MF a few months earlier for $180 - the whole rig new cost me less than my Blues Junior did used. I figured it was too good a deal to pass up. No regrets, but I do sometimes wish it'd been the 2x12 on clearance instead.

[​IMG]

7. Jester01

Jester01 Tele-Meister

Heck of a steal on the crate rig....

Yall just need to hire a young fella to lug your heavy stuff around, lots of young guys out there wanting to learn... I know id do it for any of you just for a few tips later on...

8. emanym

emanym TDPRI Member

I used a 4x12 for years,a 1960A Marshall w/ the stock 75 watt celestions.Volume was often an issue.Hell now when I use my Marshall amp I use an Avatar 2x12 w/ vintage 30's & w/out an attenuator volume would still be an issue.Of course it depends on what head your using,but you gotta be playing big rooms to actually NEED a 4x12.Why not go for a smaller cab & let your amp open up a little.And yes lugging it around was a hassle,especially since the wheels broke off/stripped out from the cab only a month or so after I got it (new).

9. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Just a hypothetical:

How loud would a 4x12 of greenbacks be compared to a 2x12 of Alnico Blues? I bet the blues would be louder....

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

To tell you the truth, I want one mostly for the looks (for certain gigs with a certain band). I have two 2 X 12's and a 1 X 12 and a few combo amps. But I figure with low powered speakers and a 50 watt amp that I DON'T use for overdrive, it won't be a problem.

11. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

Now if only I could FIND such an idiot... er, I mean enterprising young buck...

12. Jester01

Jester01 Tele-Meister

LOL, Thanks !! they are around... just gotta find the right fella I suppose..

Ive worked clubs and stuff, and have helped with setups, I enjoyed it.. I enjoy being a part of it...

13. Cliff Schecht

Cliff Schecht Tele-Holic

I picked up a Vox 4x12 cab cheap a while back and love how it sounds. I put it up against a new Marshall 4x12 1960 and thought it sounded better. Sounds great with just about any amp I throw at it. Most of my amps are pretty bright, and of course the maple neck teles don't help this either, so I prefer a darker cab. I can gig with a Deluxe and the 4x12 but anything over this is just too dang loud for the bars! My usual bar rig is a TW Express clone and a 1x12 closed back cab. Not too loud but lots of cut so nobody has any problem hearing me muff solos. :p

14. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

As a live sound engineer as well as a guitarist I have come to loath 4X12s...

For most venues they are totally unnecessary. I see young bucks and old rockers bring them along and crank them up. I have to tell them they are too loud. They turn down and I put a mic in front of one speaker. They might as well bring a 1x12.

I'm not saying they don't have their place, but having a 4x12 there and playing at modest pub/club levels seems daft, unless it's the aesthetics that matter.

15. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

back in my hair days I gigged with a 4x12 marshall cab and 50W head, that beast was loud. Too big and not necessary these days, a 1x12 does it.
    If it's a look you're after consider empty cabs, all those 80s metal band live videos with a backline of marshalls were mostly empty cabs.

16. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I can see what you're saying from if you're mic'ing everyone, but for a band that doesn't run anything but vocals or acoustic instruments through the PA a 412 works really well. I never have to turn up to ear splitting levels but can still hear myself. Personally, I've spent too many years hearing my sound coming from behind me and just don't like listening through the monitor. I want to feel the music rather than simply hear it in the mix.

Justin

17. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

I exclusively gig with 4x12s.

For guitar, I got this Kustom 150 watt (I never get tired posting this pic :D):

[​IMG]

For bass, I use this Fender Bassman 100 with the diamond positioned 4x12 cab:

[​IMG]

Both are stock, and sound absolutely fabulous... and yes, both cabs are equipped with wheels. :D

18. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

That's how I got started back in the day too, schlepping the gear around. Set it up, run the lights or the sound, then afterwards tear it down, load it into the U-Haul & drive it home.

"Now the seats are all empty
    Let the roadies take the stage..."

19. skeksis

skeksis Tele-Afflicted

I've never used the 4x12" rig... open back 2x12" running efficient speakers and 30-50w, sure, but never the 4x12".

Couple of good friends use 'em all the time, though. One actually runs a 100w Super Lead from the early 70's through a huge Krank 4x12". (WHOA!) And another uses a 50w master model through an odd small/deep 4x12" marshall cab. Both are loud, loose rock. both happen to be girl fronted projects - one started as a guitar/drums white-stripes type project, eventually added bass.

They don't *need* the big cabs, but it's kinda part of the whole costume of the band. In the right band, why the heck not? :)

20. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I use a Marshall 412 av cab. It sounds good at low levels too. I like gigging for exercise, I don't mind hauling my stuff. Who wants to pay for a gym just to lift weights?
    Stage volume is essential for me. The 112 combos sound weak on small stages to me. On large stages mic'ing is fine with any amp tho'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.