Does anyone else use chordify to learn a song quickly?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by TheOneTrueSID, Oct 12, 2017.

1. TheOneTrueSID

TheOneTrueSID TDPRI Member

I just discovered it a few weeks ago, and love the way you can drop a youtube link in and it will (pretty accurately) decode the chords then roll them on a synchronized scroll wile the song plays.

I'm probably not as advanced as some of you folks, but it has been a great help for me.

2. btheblue

btheblue TDPRI Member

Funny, I just downloaded it an hour ago and so far really like it. I'm a drummer just playing guitars tho.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I've got "chordec" on my phone... same idea and can decode any song in your playlist. I'm just running the free version. I don't use because I can usually hear the changes on my own... but I have tested it and I'm surprised at the accuracy.

4. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

I occasionally use it. I substitute and adjust the chords according to my tastes.

5. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Band In A Box has a similar feature... but better...but harder to use......not sure if that's better....

Probably all uses the same underlying technology, Chordify is good but I hate signing up for yet more stuff.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Huh, I might need to check it out. I've been using tunetranscriber.com which is a free "Amazing Slow Downer". Sometimes for fast licks it helps to slow things down a bit. And it's a lot easier to use this technology than what I used to do in the old days: turn the turntable speed down to 16 rpm and play at half speed, down an octave, and constantly picking up and putting down the needle over difficult passages, dinging up my vinyl records in the process.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Based on reviews in the App Store seems Chordify has serious issues but Chordec people love. Anyone tried both? Also Chordec a straight $2.99 while Chordify free but has In-app purchases. I hate the latter when I wonder what they will charge for, and usually it's more long run than just apps that charge up front and that's it. Anyone got more info on that aspect?

8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

ha ha! you were very advanced. We just listened on the car radio, then did our best to play something like what we heard. Usually we got the key wrong, and only about half the chords right - but that didnt stop us from playing the song!

sonicsmitty and stinkey like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!
    I still do it the old fashioned way.
    I’ll check it out!

10. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

Chordec not available for IOS 11....developer needs to update

11. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Just out interest is their any software that decodes solos from utube, because sometimes i cant find the tabs and it can take ages by ear, and some of it is to fast for the ear to even catch that well.

12. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

You are correct... mine no longer opens.

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

As I mentioned earlier in the thread tunetranscriber.com works pretty well. It allows you to slow down solos so you can figure them out. It doesn't figure out the notes you but you can go as slow as you need. I used it to figure out Mike Stern's Tipatina's when I had to play that in a band. It took me awhile to get all the licks from that tune and tunetranscriber.com was a Godsend. We don't play it anymore which is fine by me because I don't think it's that great of a song-- a little too fusion-y for me, I like a funkier feel. It can be a little glitchy depending on your browser, bandwidth, etc., but given that it's 100% free I'm very happy with it.

upload_2017-10-18_10-3-53.png

Sounds Good likes this.
  14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

The App Store even autocompletes the search, then gives this:
    IMG_2513.JPG
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Ah, ok; I should’ve read the rest of the thread.

16. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been using the free Yamaha Chord Tracker app for a year or so. Fast. Usually puts in some chords that are more complicated than I need. Shows the guitar chord diagrams. Can change tempo or key. And suppress the vocals.

17. TheOneTrueSID

TheOneTrueSID TDPRI Member

Thanks, everyone! More suggestions that will help a guy that was away for 20+ years!

18. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Just sing and play. Know where you are going.

19. drmoniker

drmoniker TDPRI Member

Riffstation is similar and also works well. It can get confused, but is useful when you are in a hurry. I like the Riffstation interface better.

20. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

On the plus side there is not the constant pop ups to buy the premium version that the tab and chord sites hit you with. On the bottom side unless you buy the premium version the more obscure songs that nobody else have bothered to post chords of and only the artist have uploaded to YouTube are locked out using the filter to prevent piracy of the song.

I just use it to check my ear when the chord progression I try doesn't seem to match when playing along

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.