1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does anyone else spend their whole work day daydreaming about their guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-nova, Jul 28, 2020.

1. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

029.JPG I'm retired, but I do like B.B. King once said...I alternate my favorite guitars on a couple music stands in my bedroom, so I can stare at them while I fall asleep, & they're the first thing I see when I wake up. Currently my Mosrite & my Hallmark.

The Angry Possum and Mark1406 like this.
  2. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Take a little pocket recorder with you so you can hum those basslines and other bits and pieces of songs or arrangements into the recorder. They're really small nowadays and digital, so no tape. I keep one by the bedside in case I get an idea in my sleep. This one's an Olympus VN-722PC and small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    4pickupguy and The Angry Possum like this.
  3. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

I look at mine all day. Retired also. 42 to be exact. Guitars not my age.

stevemc likes this.
  4. eddnix

eddnix Tele-Meister

I spend the whole time behind my guitar dreaming of work. Someone has to tell me where to put my fingers...

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

At one time I carried one or another little recorder for those sudden inspirations but my smart phone records audio or video so no need for an extra device.
    My cloud storage is getting awful big though...

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Funny enough, but I really love work and much of my job time over the years has been stuff I really loved doing and looked forward to, then was proud of when I was done.

Sort of a life as art philosophy.

Hell even the idea of being too distracted by thoughts of elsewhere to focus on a task at hand is also funny, but I have that going on with ADHD!
    Mostly though I get so engrossed in what I'm doing that I forget to stop and eat, exhaust myself, get injured etc.

...can't stop playing after rehearsal...

eddnix and stevemc like this.
  7. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

Yes. I tore my left rotator cuff a month ago. Playing is difficult to say the least. The best I can do is a capo on the 2nd fret and move everything up one step. Cowboy chords only. Barre chords from the 5th fret and up and that’s a crap shoot wether my arm spasms out or it sounds awful. Playing regular slide is almost impossible. Playing JLH’s Boom Boom is out as an example. Can’t finger slide up or down from the 2nd to 4th fret and back.

Tumbling Dice, Take it So Hard, Rocks Off, all crappy. No Expectations, You Got the Silver are out. Love in Vain. No. I can’t stretch my fingers far enough for the G7. I have to apologize to my Keef picture everyday.

So, yes, I think about playing and guitars all the time now.

8. mossman

mossman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Ever since I was a teen I wanted to play guitar and sing songs. I retired this year, guess what my passion is? Worked 40 years to be able to play my guitar and make music ad nauseum and I’m taking full advantage of my new found freedom.PS, the game changer was taking voice lessons for a couple of years, made a huge difference.

stevemc likes this.
  9. claptonrules

claptonrules TDPRI Member

As I mentioned a couple months ago, I'll be 64 in January and still jammin thank God. Practice at home, with a band Wed nites and gig out about 6 times/year (well before freakin covid). Learnin Plush, Back in Black, alot of blues, attempting Bonamassa, etc so still lovin the loud rock. Really into Eric Johnson right now. Listen to Cliff's of Dover if you haven't recently. He's a master. My theory I've taught my kids is always have a hobby/passion and mine is certainly guitar. While I often don't have the energy I used to, I'm still pushin thru. Love it. Bought a core PRS Paul's guitar a month ago (covid present) and it's incredible. I too hang a Strat in our bedroom with the rest hangin in my music room. Fun to look at. Need to hang a couple at my office cuz we're workin. Can't say I think about guitar all day but undoubtedly my passion that get's my full attention almost daily. Fun stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.