1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does anyone else spend their whole work day daydreaming about their guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-nova, Jul 28, 2020.

1. claptonrules

claptonrules TDPRI Member

I own some KILLER guitars: PRS, Les Paul, Strats, 2 Suhr's and others All core and expensive, nothing under $3k. I love them all and will sell none. Not bragging, getting to my point. I'm age 64 and thank God still love loud classic rock, blues and some metal. Feel blessed to still be diggin that while my buddies are listenin to John Hyatt and Dylan strummin acoustic that bores me. I want electric Loud with distortion. Anyway, I still work and I'm shoutin out to you guys to play a ton when you are young and full of energy. For me, not all I'm sure but at age 64 after work, I have the desire but I'm exhausted and many nites have no energy to play. Play alot on weekends and maybe a few nites a week, but nothing like the old days. SUCKS cuz it's my only hobby, my passion and I am blessed to have the lineup of guitars I have. Can grab any and rock it, it's just not the same so rock often while you are healthy and have the energy. Nothing better for stress and your mind. I ain't done, just slowin down. Hey, me and Clapton do have something in common.................. :) keep a rockin and have fun. that's what it's all about.

stevemc and telemnemonics like this.
  2. FORQ

FORQ TDPRI Member

Have been recently. Mostly because I'm obsessing over getting a new guitar(s).

3. Muadzin

Muadzin TDPRI Member

I'm the opposite. I have about 21 guitars about the house, plus more under construction, but I've spent sometimes weeks without touching a guitar. Except maybe building them. But I also work extra as a gym instructor and I spent most pf my regular workday thinking what I am going to do in my gym classes that evening. Because normally its straight to the gym after work to give my classes. Maybe it would be different if I had an actual band, that would focus my creativity back to playing guitar more often.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice!
    You got your priorities straight!
    (my guitar rig is all plugged in so I switch on the power strip and amp, then wait for the noise...)
    Been a while since I had a drum kit in my living room though.

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah the loss of youth is a drag, worked in carpentry fine woodworking most of my life so my hands and back are more worn that my age normally sees. I don't think what I can do with a guitar has diminished perceptibly yet, but how long I can do it has been cut back, and my ability to push and learn new harder stuff is also limited.

So, I play before I work!

As far as my guitars, trades always payed well enough to buy and use workmanlike USA Fenders and even a decent Gibson here and there, but I was never quite funded for the next tier up. In the '80s you could easily own what is today considered a Holy Grail, but of course those were also more workman like instruments, never wanted a LP until I found a deal on a '71 in circa 2002.
    Workmanlike guitars suit my taste though and I've now owned and played such large numbers of really great guitars that I don't look at other peoples guitar with lust, because they are now more like tools and I've been there with every shape and size!

The only instrument I lust after is a really nice fretless bass.
    Had some good fretless and fretted Fenders, a couple of fretless custom shop ESP parts basses, and an Alembic, and the market now does not have much for great fretless bass with ebony board at affordable prices. I'm not even a bass player (more the dreadful lead bass) but I used to and should always have a really fine fretless in my arsenal.

6. psykobilly

psykobilly Tele-Meister

Most of my free time at work, when I have any, is spent trying to visualize my next build. What wood do i want to use, what color, pups, neck......etc.etc.etc. Rarely get to build one, but always have it on my mind.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  7. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

I have “tone dreams,” where I work out arrangements and sounds in my head. That leads to me thinking about my instruments and gear.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  8. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

Yeah

9. Tjeppen

Tjeppen TDPRI Member

Yuo lucky b*st*rd :):);)

Recce likes this.
  10. Clickfiend

Clickfiend TDPRI Member

There’s people who don’t spend all day dreaming about their past, current and future gear?

11. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Yes. My wife says she is a guitar widow.

telemnemonics and tele-nova like this.
  12. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

She always wants to know why I have more than one. I only need one -- one of each.

Ghostdriver likes this.
  13. kodiakblair

kodiakblair Tele-Meister

Spent the last 4 months at home surrounded by my 70+ electric basses.

I daydream about returning to work and getting away from them :)

stevemc, telemnemonics and gitapik like this.
  14. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

As a teacher of kids with special needs; there was no way I was going to be daydreaming about anything while working. Sure fire recipe for disaster. Gotta be "on" every second or you're deep in the weeds. But lunches were definitely time to think music.

But I retired on 1/2/2020. Promised myself when I took my first straight job (age 30) that I'd keep playing, retire with a pension, and then get back to full time music. And, amazingly enough: here I am! A little banged up but still functioning.

I've always daydreamed about my guitars and music I'm writing/working on. Both while I was employed and now that I'm retired. It can get pretty extreme. I'll turn in for the night and can't stop thinking about a guitar or piece (the proverbial "earworm"). I guess that's "daydreaming at night". The difference now is that I don't have to worry about being exhausted at work the next day, for lack of sleep. I can get up and start playing again.

Still waiting for the other shoe to drop. Feels good at the moment, though.

15. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

This says it all...and I concur. 36912DB9-CA25-4AA4-995D-0974F21B3603.jpeg F58DB571-0177-4BB2-BEB1-172D682DDACB.jpeg

4pickupguy likes this.
  16. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Have been away from home since the whole covid thing started. Haven't seen about half of my guitars since March, miss 'em like good friends.. :)

The other half (about 8 of them) are here with me.

17. Skipdipper

Skipdipper NEW MEMBER!

Confession: Sometimes late at night before bed, I'll place my (current) favourite guitar on a stand in a prominent position near my bed so that when I wake up it will be the first thing I see...

gitapik likes this.
  18. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I can seriously relate to that.

19. Mark1406

Mark1406 TDPRI Member

What does your wife/significant other think about this?

Who cares. ;)

Regards

Mark

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Jeez, just get a life

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.