Does anyone else dilute their coke with water?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Apr 13, 2021.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I believe Diet Coke is diluted enough for me.

Speaking of Vietnam. The main sources of fluid were Warm Schlitz, Warm Hawaiian Punch and water. There may have been some others; including 33 but most of the pallets I carried in-country had those two. Since leaving there I have never had another drink of either.

offsideref likes this.
  2. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

I was a bartender for 15 years.

I had one regular who would have a coke/soda water if he ate dinner at the bar.

People also (very rarely) order a “press” which is half sprite half soda with booze. It’s an old term people like to use to let the bartender know they’re in the service industry.

offsideref likes this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I NEVER drink coke nor any soft drink, sorry. I wouldn't ruin the water that way

offsideref likes this.
  4. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I don't drink Coke.

offsideref likes this.
  5. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

Quite right. Diet soft drinks are beyond the pale. If life hands you lemons, the last thing you want to do is make lemonade and add a bunch of “sweet” chemicals to it, one way or the other you’re asking for trouble.

6. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

It’s hard to argue with that. Especially from here in Scotland, where ordinary tap water is delicious. But, you know, even though nothing tastes as good as cold fresh water on a hot day, sometimes I just like some kind of flavour in it.

7. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Have you run out of Rum?

Jakedog and offsideref like this.
  8. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

Actually in the coke? Not just, with the coke? I’ve never seen thst done, but you know now I’m going to have to try it!

9. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

No, but you know, it was 06:30, can’t really be getting into the rum until the sun is over the yardarm.
    upload_2021-4-13_17-16-47.jpeg

10. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was raised in the South. We drink Coke here, regardless of type or maker.

Diet Coke. Ice if it is in a glass. Best ice comes from Sonic. Drink it fast so it doesn't get diluted...unless there's Rum involved. Crunch on the ice after the drink is gone...unless yer in the car and Miz Diane has something handy to whack you with.

Think it's poison? You need to pay your momma back for all that schoolin' that didn't take. :D

offsideref likes this.
  11. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Didn't know it was thing. I don't drink a lot of sodas, so when I do I want the straight undiluted fix.

As an aside I know a retired guy that mixes Bud Light and water. It's actually what he orders at a bar. What nerve!

offsideref likes this.
  12. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Fair enough...

I usually water down juice and fruit/berry-drinks a lot, but on the rare occasion I drink a soda pop, I don't.

offsideref likes this.
  13. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

Laughing at that initiation ceremony! When I worked in bars (hundreds of years ago) the ability to give somebody a Guinness shandy, or Guinness tops even, without wasting draught Guinness (or dirtying multiple clean glasses) was a skill you had to master. And, about once in a blue moon, somebody would ask for Black Velvet - Guinness and champagne - and you really didn’t want to waste any of that, and have it stopped out of your wages!

I miss all the old “beer cocktails” (for want of a better term). Black & Tan, Sweet Black & Tan, Mild & Bitter, all that stuff. Quite like a Black & Tan (a real one, with Guinness and heavy, not Sweetheart Stout and heavy), although I wouldn’t ask for one in an Irish-themed pub unless you know the guys.

Hibernian and P-Nutz like this.
  14. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

I like his style! A good barkeep will give you whatever you like. My second cousin was in the posh restaurant that used to be halfway up the Eiffel Tower, and when the wine waiter - the sommelier, eh - asked him what he would like, he said, “you know, I’d really like a nice cold glass of milk”. They brought him one, too, so beautifully chilled that the glass was frosted. Happy days.

fjblair likes this.
  15. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

Especially since they removed the cocaine, hundreds of years ago when the stuff was apparently legal.

rze99 likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When the weather gets hot I'm all about the Beer-garita (a Margarita made with beer instead of tequila -- keep the Triple Sec if you're feeling it)

offsideref likes this.
  17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Oh oh the thread will be closed now you said that

18. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Being a soft suvvener, I grew up on half of bitter with a bottle on top. When I asked my Londer dad where the tradition came from, he explained that London water is hard from a limestone aquifer, and therefore doesn't draw much foam when it's poured, so a bottle adds sparkle (he worked in a brewery). Light n bitter, brown and bitter, and eventually, light and lager. The horror! The tradition moved out into the home counties with the slum clearances in the 60s. With all the decent micro breweries now, there's no excuse for mediocre beer, but still people drink Greene King and Doombar. Philistines.

The last Irish theme pub I was in had a pair of shoes screwed to the door and a quote from Oscar Wilde stencilled on the wall. It was rubbish. Having played in real pubs in Ireland, I wouldn't give you tuppence for one of those soulless theme bars.

offsideref likes this.
  19. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I had a coke.

offsideref likes this.
  20. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Put me in the group that dilutes a Diet Coke with rum.
    Sometimes I’ll dilute a Tonic water with rum or vodka

i remember putting a sleeve of Tom’s salted peanuts in a big cold bottle of Coke. Hotdamn that was good on a summer afternoon in Mississippi

If I’m going to drink a soda it’ll be a Dr Pepper, root beer, ginger beer, or a Ting. It’s like a once a month or so thing, unless I’m in a store and there’s a cold Dr Pepper in the cooler.

offsideref likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.