Does anyone else dilute their coke with water?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Apr 13, 2021.

1. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

No argument here, that is the best use of coke!

northernguitar likes this.
  2. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

I’m guessing you never tried mixing Coke and milk! Me and my siblings went through a brief phase of doing that, one summer, quite nice to drink after swimming in the sea all afternoon. (There was, in the UK at that time, a bottled soft drink that appeared to be a mixture of red cola and milk, the name escapes me, but the advert was ‘It’s frothy, man’.

Edit: Cresta, that was it. A polar bear wearing sunglasses on an ice floe, drinking a blend of red cola and milk. Wow.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

[email protected]@@ in my book. Useless sickly junk. An incredible marketing success on every level.

4. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

My mother in law told me a story about when she was a kid (late 1940's) that when her father would take the family out for dinner, he'd ask if anyone wanted a Pepsi. The kids would all enthusiastically say "yes". He would then order one Pepsi for the table and add a little bit to each kid's water glass.

For me, I never cut my Coke. I will tolerate a little bit of ice melt but that's it. I had read somewhere that the reason McDonald's Coke tastes better than other restaurants is because they run a slightly higher percentage of syrup to account for ice melt. So if you drink it right away it will be a little sweeter and stronger than at other places. The article also said that their straws are larger diameter so that the drinker gets a bigger hit of soda when they suck on the straw.

offsideref and SonicMustang like this.
  5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe.....once a month ill have a soda......thats enough poison for me..... iNEVER drink anything that is diet......its just nasty liquid plastic.

Nightclub Dwight and offsideref like this.
  6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

That's a big N-O.

offsideref likes this.
  7. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

Thing is, I’m not wild about putting ice in a drink, I find it gets in the way of the actual drinking. Any time I’m out for a meal or a drink I’m the guy saying, ‘and could I have mine with no ice, please’. Even that time in Kansas City, MO when it was 100•F in the shade.

8. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I’ve done it with sodastream/fizzy water and Coke Zero. It was alright.

No argument with the approach anyhow. Regular Coke is just too sweet and really leaves an awful film in my mouth after I have one. Hardly refreshing. When I come back to it after months or years of not having one... makes me wonder how I ever drank it regularly.

offsideref likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

+1 on the don't drink cola.

offsideref and buster poser like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

In Good Morning Vietnam, Robin Williams character asks one of the recruits where he's from upon his arrival in Vietnam. The kid answers, Cleveland. Williams says, well okay, you won't find this place all that different then.

SonicMustang and Jakedog like this.
  11. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

Yup, adding water to a sofa is asking for trouble.

Sorry mate, couldn’t resist the wee typo.

unixfish and newtwanger like this.
  12. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

It’s a very British thing. House destroyed in the Blitz? Here’s a nice cup o’ char, plenty of milk and three sugars, that’ll do the trick.

Hibernian and Jakedog like this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, during the Viet Nam era, there was a modicum of truth to that joke. Lot of bombs going off around here in the 70’s. And no shortage of folks getting shot at. Thankfully we’ve come a long way!

Back in the 80’s Townes Van Zandt did a radio interview during which he was asked why he would still go and play shows in Belfast when it was so dangerous that not many artists would take a chance on booking there.

He answered “Aw man, it’s tough. I get it, ya know? Nobody wants to get dynamited. But I figure I play on the east side of Cleveland, so.. ya know?”

14. rag1

rag1 TDPRI Member

Oh you mean Coca-Cola cuz I was thinking the water would just wash it off the mirror.....I’ll let myself out

15. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

I don't dilute anything with water intentionally. I had a buddy who was from the Spanish Basque side of the mountain. He always drank wine with this meal even at work (different times). He was asked one day why he didn't drink water with his meal? He replied, water is for washing your feet, wine is for drinking.

offsideref and SonicMustang like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

As to ice cubes in a coke diluting it, I'm a guzzler, not a sipper, by the time the ice cubes have settled in the glass, it's empty.

18. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Is that old Nashville or new Nashville?

19. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I drink Bubly and the various knock offs pretty much exclusively now. I used to drink just soda water before the "flavored" soda water revolution came along. I don't like ice or water in any carbonated drink, as it flattens the carbonation so quickly. I can't even tolerate traditional sweetened sodas anymore, since my palate has adjusted to less sugar.

offsideref likes this.
  20. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Coke is my downfall. I'm trying to wean myself off of it, but it has been a lifelong bad habit. I like Coke straight up out of the can because I like the harsh flavor that you get with full carbonation.

A secret love is warm or hot Coke. I discovered this when I used to drive a work van all over the Northeast for my job. I'd always keep a 12 pack in the van. I opened a Coke after the van had been sitting in the hot sun for hours. The Coke was the temperature of coffee or tea. It is a whole new experience. You taste flavors that you never knew existed in cold or room temperature Coke.

Despite my love for Coke, I admit it is not the best drink when you are really thirsty or dehydrated. In the hot summer when I am working outside I prefer to drink water or very dilute unsweetened ice tea.

I know I am a bad person who has probably done irreparable damage to my health because of all the Coke I drink. I have managed to cut back quite a bit. I'd like to eliminate it from my diet.

offsideref and rockhound like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.