1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does anybody still pick up vinyl?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wacolo, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I’m still using the Grado Prestige Series Gold that I bought after I wrecked my Benz Glider. That Glider was a hell of a cartridge. I’ve been afraid to buy another expensive one like that without a user-replaceable stylus.

Nahtabot likes this.
  2. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The only time I typically buy a new vinyl release is on Record Store Day just to be in the “spirit” of the day. As much as I like and miss buying albums I can’t justify the extra expense. I don’t think I’m getting the great sonic experience with my turntable and set up that someone with a high end system is getting.

However, I’m all over it if I come across something that catches my eye at a tag sale or Goodwill store. I’ll grab something if it’s only just for the cover art, like this one I picked up at Goodwill recently:

96700154-67DD-4A0B-A262-08B0B5B73D85.jpeg D16480AF-0AC1-400D-89A5-D12B1F61C239.jpeg

I also got this Tony Mottola album which Bucky Pizzarelli plays on:

B5BAAE8D-6270-4DCE-96BC-618972BF9BB7.jpeg

I found this Buck Owens one summer weekend trip to Vermont at a flea market. I think ended up paying $5 for it and was well worth it!

06D0279A-D58E-4577-A04D-D6C0D5091D1B.jpeg

3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Oh yes! My collection is about 1300 vinyl albums. I buy used ones in good condition but I also buy new releases and re-releases. I've got a good system so why waste it?

Edit: I should say that I've got fairly eclectic tastes in music so my collection runs from contemporary rock & pop, classic rock, experimental rock, classical, big band, jazz, etc. Even Scottish pipe band albums! So I've got a pretty wide collection.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Richie Cunningham and Nahtabot like this.
  4. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I’ll buy anything from a 50-cent bargain bin record to 50-dollar new vinyl. It just depends on what it is, what kind of condition it’s in, and what kind of mood I’m in. I probably have a couple hundred records. I hop genres and decades like it’s my job.

idjster likes this.
  5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yup, I still buy LPs if they grab my attention and interest.

6. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

It's very, very rare that I purchase music on any medium besides vinyl, and that has been the case for 10 years at least. I started buying vinyl as a kid in the 80s and kept it up into the mid 90s, though I'm embarrassed to say I did lapse for several years before I got back to it.

7. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not to sound rude, but it's that a real question? Vinyl album sales last year in the United States alone were close to 28 million albums... and that's new albums... not counting people like you and I who pick up the old ones at the thrift shop or wherever. Furthermore, vinyl sales have been steadily increasing every year since about 2005.
    Vinyl is huge! And I couldn't be happier, though it has made it harder to find the good ones.

8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I have a pretty decent collection of vinyl. I bought most of them yrs ago when they weren't wanted. Now, a lot of it is overpriced & the condition is not so great. I still do if the price is right. I now buy CDs for the very same reason. Dirt cheap & the quality is great.

9. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I do! Any time I want to really hear one of the greats doing their thing, I go straight to my record collection. JCS is better on vinyl than other medium...in 18 minute increments.

10. Stillhouse

Stillhouse TDPRI Member

I've been rebuilding a collection, since I sold most of what I once had when I moved out of Austin in 2005. Still miss being at the Austin Record Convention, went for many years as a buyer, then as a helper for dealer out of Illinois who bought and sold all over the world.

11. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I do buy used. However, the collection is small in contrast with the old days, and is likely to stay so.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I do. Walnut plinth, but I'm not a total luddite, I play it through my Sonos speakers.
    Belt drive, Ortofon Blue cartridge, mmmm, comfy chair! And records are good for your posture! Every 15-20 minutes you have to get up and hustle across the room to change the side so you aren't sedentary.

And if you're objective, records sound more like live music, more like musicians. The ambient sounds that are part of life even in a studio are edited out in the pursuit of perfection but to me that makes music sound synthetic. That is why you see so many songs produced ADD or AAD even of they are streaming content, not for vinyl. The reason ye olde folkes like me like it may be sentimental. But the reason younger kids like it is because it sounds better.

And remember the most important thing, elbows in. One row only.
    upload_2021-2-27_20-48-29.png

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

The last time I picked up vinyl was when I had to move too many times in my twenties. I had hundreds of them and they got heavier the worse life treated me.

I still have the Doug Clark “Nuts To You” album that was my Mother’s, and a couple more.

14. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

I've collected albums since the mid 1980's. It's amazing how vinyl has made a comeback due to the Hipsters.:)

Here's one of my favourite albums...'Toilet Rock' by MacLean & MacLean. It's a filthy dirty album and I love it!

IMG456.jpg
    IMG461.jpg

Here are some other notables.;)

IMG278.jpg
    IMG288.jpg
    IMG298.jpg
    IMG299.jpg
    IMG321.jpg
    IMG319.jpg
    IMG322.jpg
    IMG418.jpg

15. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

0DF566C7-BF65-4820-A11D-8F63CCFE6C39_1_105_c.jpeg

dustoff pilot likes this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

No affiliation but anyone who doesn’t already shop at TTL, it’s my 10X the best online music store.

17. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I have some crates of vinyl which haven't been spun in 20 years easily. I love music but as far as listening, mostly do it in the car with CDs. Wish you guys were nearby, I'd put them out in the driveway and you could just go for it. I was thinking about this today... as one's collection expands, should you always listen to everything? If I listened to one LP or CD a day it would take me two years to get through what I have.

On a related note, clearing out the storage room, I rounded up about 50 pounds of VHS tapes. Local e-waste won't take them so I'm going to ship them to Ohio for recycling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.