Does anybody sell samples or very small packs of tints/dyes?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by milocj, Sep 18, 2019.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm going to be finishing a new body at some point during the next few weeks and it would be nice to be able to use "bulk" nitro and my spray gear instead of using rattle cans again. I'd also like to blend my own color instead of having to use what comes out of the spray cans.

The main thing holding me back is the price and quantity of each individual tint/dye color because I'll most likely only ever shoot one body so other than necks I'd never use an entire package or bottle of the stuff.

Is there any place that sells samples so that I can buy two or three small packages of colors?

Thanks.

2. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

I don’t know about that, but if you go to a. I’ve woodworking supply shop, such as Rockler, they will have all their stains sampled on wood chops and other objects for you to check out. And their prices on stain are fair.

6stringcowboy likes this.
  3. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Here’s how I did exactly what you want to do (for the same reason):

For dyes, I bought LMI’s analine dyes set. I think it’s like $20 but it’s been a few years since I bought it. Blue, red, Black brown orange Amber yellow. Dissolve in alcohol and wipe on. Practice on scrap to blend bursts. Sand off, wipe other colors. It’s fun. Spray your favorite clear coat over it.

For opaque colors, I buy mixol pigments in little 1oz bottles. They’re cheap in such small amounts and last and for several guitars because you don’t need much. I add the colors into mason jars with a base of lacquer and some white pigment. Add the colors a drop or three at a time. Count the drops of each color and save your “recipe”. You might need to make more.

I buy Sherwin Williams Lovoc lacquer a gallon at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Lmii.com sells alanine dye powder to mix with alcohol or water. They come in a few ounce containers that will make significant amount of dye. I believe a 6 or so color kit is like $35.

Eric

5. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I did a deal with another builder where I just packaged up all my dyes (Colortone, about six typical colors, he was doing a Cremola 'burst) and shipped them to him. I carefully sealed the tips and put each bottle in a little baggie. He did his staining and sent them all back with some nice pieces of rosewood that I'll find a use for.

Barter and the lutherie community are good.

7. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

8. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Just need to decide whether I want to go ahead with trying to mix up my own or resort to spray cans like I usually do for this.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen small vials of stain listed on ebay. Both diluted with water and undiluted.
    I think it's the colortone or transtint product.

I bought a few bottles on undiluted colortone stain years ago. They seem expensive but a bottle goes a very long way, possibly a lifetimes supply for a home user.

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You can buy 1.5 oz. tubes of the universal colorant brand "Tints All" at many retail and commercial paint stores. Depending on the color they run from about $2.50 to $10 each. Tey are highly concentrated and go a long way.

They also are compatible with all common paints and lacquers. They do NOT work in epoxies and plural component polyurethanes, which require industrial toners. Those are almost impossible to get hold of unless you work in the industry and have a REALLY good friend in the lab or factory!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.