DOES ANYBODY BESIDES ME ACTUALLY LIKE INEXPENSIVE OD /DISTORTION PEDALS?

TeleBackelaer

TDPRI Member
I am also in deep with the knock off pedals on Amazon.... I keep them in bins on a shelf in my workshop.... my wife calls them "sound legos" as they are colorful and I am constantly complaining that I need more.... and duplicates, I think I now have three of the ISET Dumble Pedals, three of the ISET compressors and a couple of the Flamma pre amp pedals.... and on and on
"Sound legos" 😆 That's brilliant.

OT: yeah, I love cheap pedals. I've got a couple cheap ones (Joyo Vintage Overdrive, Mosky Silver horse), some medium priced (Crybaby Way, TC HoF, Boss TR-2) and one that I would consider expensive-ish (Catalinbread SFT).
In my experience they all deliver. Especially the Joyo. I played a bunch of Tube Screamer type pedals, but I really can't hear any difference whatsoever between a 808 and the Joyo.
The only reason I have one expensive pedal is because there's no other pedal out there -to my knowledge- that does what the Catalinbread does. Let alone a cheap knock-off.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
I wouldn't pay much for a generic drive pedal, but I'm happy to pay a little more for a flavour you don't come across too often like a jhs superbolt or angry charlie.
Cheap overdrives are why the rabbit hole is such fun.
BD2 is the still the best though.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Considering the Joyo Splinter (Fat Rat), but debating whether or not it is worth just getting the Proco Rat for a bit more ($37 vs $68). For my use (just putting a smile on my face at home), cheap pedals are fine.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
My point was that the differences are so small that no one is going to hear them when you play - especially in a mix. I don't really care if my clone Timmy requires me to set the treble to 3 o'clock to get the same sound I get on the original at 2 o'clock.

But if you think you hear differences, and you want to spend the money for the original, have at it. To each his own.

I never said that. Nor did I imply it.

All I said was it should matter to us.

You need to read what's there and not argue against things that haven't been said or posted. Pretty sure they call that a strawman argument. I never said you have to have an, original. Or anything of the sort.

Try to work on that. Reply to what's directly written. Don't reply to what you want to argue against, despite the fact that no one mentioned it. That's what you just did. Because I never said you have to have a $7k Centaur or an $800 Rat, etc...

Kungpow!

Tele-Meister
After 28 years of playing guitar, right now, I have boss sd1 and boss ds1 on my board. I've modded both, but they get the job done as good as anything I own.

And I have plenty of boutique dirt, Fulltone, Barber

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Considering the Joyo Splinter (Fat Rat), but debating whether or not it is worth just getting the Proco Rat for a bit more ($37 vs $68). For my use (just putting a smile on my face at home), cheap pedals are fine.
I was leaning towards buying the Rat2, but two things happened. The price (Amazon) of the Rat increased from $68 to $86 overnight, and they put to Splinter on sale for $32. I ordered the Splinter this morning.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
I am also in deep with the knock off pedals on Amazon.... I keep them in bins on a shelf in my workshop.... my wife calls them "sound legos" as they are colorful and I am constantly complaining that I need more.... and duplicates, I think I now have three of the ISET Dumble Pedals, three of the ISET compressors and a couple of the Flamma pre amp pedals.... and on and on

I’ve heard good things about that ISET Dumbler, including a couple of YouTube demos. Have you compared it to any of its more expensive brethren, like the Dude or Zen Drive?

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve heard good things about that ISET Dumbler, including a couple of YouTube demos. Have you compared it to any of its more expensive brethren, like the Dude or Zen Drive?
I bought the ISET Dumble pedal on a Prime Day deal ($21). I bought to fill the gap between clean and the Fat Rat clone. The Fat Rat works as an overdrive (with distortion on its lowest setting) for my single coils, but it doesn't get clean enough for humbuckers. The Dumble sounds good with both.

I don't have much ro compare it to, but I like the sound and it isn't noisy. I bought the one called "Dumble" (vs. Dumbler) because I liked the gain knob better. Not sure if there are any other differences.

DrBGood

Tele-Afflicted
2022-07-18.jpg

gtrwrks

Tele-Afflicted
On my gig board is an Xotic AC Booster, but I picked up an Arion Tubulator for almost free ($15), modified the low end corner to ~400 Hz and replaced the diodes with 3mm red LEDs - super 'Dumble-y sounding. I've been using it on my practice board and really dig it.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
Adding to the praise for the ISET Dumbler - got mine for $21.58 (although I see that they are now back up to $26.98) and I’m pretty blown away. I prefer it to such forum favorites as the Timmy, Tumnus, and Nobels, not to mention all the TS variants I have tried. Sounds absolutely great on its own and ridiculous stacked into a CB 5F6.

4DCCDA8E-37E9-44CA-8168-26D2FA7C536A.jpeg

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
I gig with a Mooer Black Secret I got new for £25. However, I also have a Timmy I paid $100 or so in 2010 that has been worth every penny. Ditto an Xotic BB Comp.

As far as tubescreamer types go...I really like the Kokko one. It's better than the Mooer Green Mile. I also really like the Kokko delay. It has tap and trails, low noise etc.

I don't understand spending $4-500 on a single pedal as we are seeing now. But times change.

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
"Sound legos" 😆 That's brilliant.

OT: yeah, I love cheap pedals. I've got a couple cheap ones (Joyo Vintage Overdrive, Mosky Silver horse), some medium priced (Crybaby Way, TC HoF, Boss TR-2) and one that I would consider expensive-ish (Catalinbread SFT).
In my experience they all deliver. Especially the Joyo. I played a bunch of Tube Screamer type pedals, but I really can't hear any difference whatsoever between a 808 and the Joyo.
The only reason I have one expensive pedal is because there's no other pedal out there -to my knowledge- that does what the Catalinbread does. Let alone a cheap knock-off.
What's the EQ on the SFT like? I keep hearing mixed reports. I'm a sucker for 79's Stones, so this is on my radar.

dougbgt6

TDPRI Member
I've tried to get on with OD, I had a MojoMojo, fun to play, for 5 minutes. So I bought a Dark Matter, the same again and almost identical although one's an OD and the other's distortion? Then I bought the larger Spark, it does very slight OD, but I keep it because it has active tone controls, it's an equaliser! Who new?

Then I bought a Fender Pro Junior valve amp and an LPJ with a P90 pickup. And, oh! THAT'S what OD is supposed to sound like! Love it! Sold the MM and the DM.

Doug

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I wonder how many of those Amazon $25 pedals come out of the same factory with the exact same circuitry. Not that it matters...I was just wondering

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I must be missing something because after more than 50 years playing and 40 years gigging, I can’t justify me spending big bucks for boutique OD pedals, let alone getting on a long waiting list to get one! Guitars and amps? Another story altogether, although I’m content with my current residents at this point.

Before I’m accused of judging other’s choices, let me point out that I’m not suggesting anyone is wrong or daft for delving into the high dollar offerings of OD pedals, but is something wrong with my ears? I’m currently using an off the shelf pedal on both my home and gigging boards, a Boss BD-2 with a modest boost in front of it. Oh, I’ve got an OCD and a Petty John Iron on a shelf, but I may sell them both. The BD-2 is to my liking at this point. Does anybody else think this way, not necessarily about the BD-2, but about inexpensive overdrives, or am I just behind the times? BTW, I bought a DS1 the other day locally for $24.00 on a whim, because what the heck? I actually like it!

There's nothing wrong with your ears. I think you are just missing why 'boutique OD pedals' are expensive in the first place.