DOES ANYBODY BESIDES ME ACTUALLY LIKE INEXPENSIVE OD /DISTORTION PEDALS?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by pippoman, May 9, 2021.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

The most expensive pedal on my board is my Boss TU3. So no, you’re not nuts.

I’ve had expensive pedals. I went through that stage in my life. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar I’ll probably be playing Ibanez, EHX, TC, and Boss for the rest of my life.

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

My main dirt pedal is a Boss OD-3. I also have TWO DS-1s and a SD-1.

No OCDs, or other KOT. The only OD I could “pass off” as boutique is my Soul Food klone clone but it isn’t boutique either. I play mostly at home, house parties and occasional small restaurant type gigs.

I play mostly into a tube amp right on the edge of breakup, so my distortions main tone comes from the amp, and the pedal is mostly to goose the amp and I don’t normally use them to change my amp’s sound dramatically.

If I were in an event band doing exact covers and needed to sound like I had a dozen different amps, I might want more, and fancier pedals, and would run them into a clean amp. At that point it would probably make more sense for me to go straight into a Kemper type programmable, digital modeler.

Tele-friend likes this.
  3. JustABluesGuy

I have an EHX Soul Food, and the pop when it’s engaged definitely makes it an “always on” pedal only. It’s the only real complaint I have with it.

4. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

I tried that one. Promptly returned it. Never been a fan of Klon Klones. Never tried a real Klon either though. I prefer overdrives with some meat to them. For me, Klones are like hot dogs, and the Hot Tubes is like a nice roast, and the Route 66 and the Greer Lightspeed are like a really nice steak dinners. Klon Klones just don't do it for me.

northernguitar and JustABluesGuy like this.
  5. JustABluesGuy

I have two of them, totally stock.

guitar_paul1 and pippoman like this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I like good pedals.

Price does not always translate to good—whether you translate “good” to quality, sound, durability or whatever.

Good is good.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  7. JustABluesGuy

I didn’t return mine, but It’s not spent too much time on my board either. I don’t even use my pedal board too much.

When I do it’s my OD-3 and DS-1 mostly.

pippoman likes this.
  8. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad you like it. I just didn't bond with it. There seemed to be a lot of treble and not a lot of anything else.

9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I’m in, although in my case I like cheap guitars and amps too.

Seriously, I bought a Joyo JF-16 British Sound, and didn’t bond with it for guitar. I discovered by accident that it works pretty well for direct-recording my bass though. Most of its gain range is dirtier than I want for that, but there’s a useful sweet spot at the cleaner end, and it’s just easy to grab it and throw down a bassline idea without a lot of dinking around.

10. Willy-son

Willy-son Tele-Meister

I use a Boss DS-1 for distortion and a Boss OD-3 as a volume boost. Bought them both used for under $40 each. Works fine, job done. Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 9.47.05 AM.png

11. JustABluesGuy

I don’t “dislike” it, but I like my Boss pedals more and they don’t ever “pop” when engaged.

12. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve had a couple MI-Audio Blues Pros and I don’t even remember why I sold them. I kept my last one on my board for years. I’m not sure it’s considered boutique, but they are analog. What prompted this thread was reading about some new ones out there that there’s a two year waiting list on and it costs some very serious $$, and I’m not talking MI-Audio bucks.

The DS-1 is still a pretty cool pedal IMHO, although I may never play it out live. I only bought it because I’ve never owned one, but I like it, even in this century lol! And hey, I’m not knocking expensive pedals, but for overdrive I personally can’t see shelling out huge bucks.

Tele-friend and JustABluesGuy like this.
  13. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think I have ever paid more than $100 for a single fx pedal of any type - I've probably paid $200 for a few that did multiple things. I am mostly just using a Boss tremolo pedal and an Ernie Ball VP Jr right now. For a dirt pedal I am waffling between an OCD and a TS clone, both bought used for under a bill. They both sound great, just different.

I can understand paying through the nose for some of the new crazy flexible digital pedals if you are really using all kinds of different sounds in your music. But once you get over $200 you approach "I coulda bought an amp" territory.

Tele-friend and JustABluesGuy like this.
  14. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

I've got several danelectro fab pedals I use all the time. Never had a problem. My looper is a donner and works just fine. Only one that doesn't really work right is a cheap tuner pedal, and there's nothing more useless than a tuner that's wrong.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a lot of $20- $30 pedals that are from the '70s & '80s and still work.
    Paid those prices in the early 2000s but now the old used USA made MXR and MIJ Ibanez pedals are collectible or desirable, so they can't be found that cheap any more.

But my idea of pedal value plays into what I calculate as a cheap price.
    So almost all the cheaper import pedals priced around $40 are just too damn expensive if built with plastic board mounted jacks, and assembled so you have to take everything out to replace a broken jack or switch.

Board mounted pots can be fine and some pedals with board mounted jacks are good too, but I really don't like spending $40 on a pedal that's basically engineered for cheapest build cost, assuming we will throw it away when it breaks.
    Just goes against my whole value system!
    IDK if having values is good or meaningless but I've watched society go from seeing the planet as an endless inexhaustible dumping ground, to now finding that we have made such a dent in the earth with our assumptions that it is breaking down on us and may not support life indefinitely. Even now the planet cannot support a whole lot of life, as wildlife extinctions are a daily event.
    Pretty much all due to humanity using the planet as a dump.

A couple of months ago I broke a jack on my well made AD900, because while the pedal is good quality, the jack is plastic.
    Not board mounted though so I grabbed a new jack from the parts pile and swapped it in.
    Japanese pedal so the hole was metric and I had to ream it out for a USA jack.
    It was my fault it broke, must have pulled on the plug sideways.
    Broken and fixed on the same day.

I figure if most of my 40yo pedals still work and are pretty much fixable forever, as long as they have some value, there is just no good reason to tell myself I'm "saving money" or "Joyo is a better value"; and choose a disposable product over a $20 savings on a product that will break in use.

There are plenty of small US (and foreign) builders making pedals the same way as those 40yo pedals, and selling them for $60- $80 new.
    For example we can buy a Mooer Rat/ TS/ BB1 for $20 leas than a US made Chicago Stomp Works buildof those circuits, and get a pedal that will last as long as the originals, and is made with the same parts as originals.
    Better still, when those US pedals come up used they sell for less than a Mooer and sometimes less than a Joyo.

While I grew up in the end of the former society where stuff we bought lasted for decades, and could be repaired when it broke, I saw corporate interests in stockholder greed change to make products designed specifically to last for shorter life spans and designed to be hard to fix.
    Corporate ad execs brainwashed consumers into believing we were getting something better each time we tossed out the toaster, refrigerator, amplifier, TV, light bulb etc.
    That all started with industrial food though, when the idea of removing much of the nutritive parts of wheat and peanut butter etc, then adding hydrogenated fats and preservatives plus more sugar and salt to make us think it was more tasty: started training consumers to stop looking close at the quality of what we bought. Cheaper to make, less nutritious and longer shelf life, sold with ads claiming stronger bodies 12 ways etc.
    Consumer obedience was the goal, and they succeeded.
    In the last five years there was a corporate move to prevent consumers from seeing ingredients they knew we didn't want to eat, and that was successful. Anybody notice that stuff? Some did.

As the corporate brainwashing of consumers progressed, we not only accepted short life span disposable products, but workers shifted from being proud of making excellent products, to being rushed and resentful as they made lower and lower quality faster and faster.
    Now of course we hardly make anything in developed countries, and almost nothing we buy is built as well as stuff used to be made.

The gain of all this?
    Corporate and stockholder profits.

Proof of the false cost of things idea being wrong can be found in companies building the same clones in the US by hand with top components; as the cheap Chinese stuff, for not much more money.

But the reason the US makers like Classictone transformers and Lovepedal go out of business, is that consumers just plain stopped caring about the details behind quality, and instead now care more about instant gratification and Corporate based mass marketing.

northernguitar likes this.
  16. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I bought a Behringer TO800 some years back and it works just fine. IIRC, it cost me about $20 new.

17. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Holic

I'm all over the place with pedals, just bought a Wampler Belle, bout the most I've ever spent on one, we shall see.

18. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

DR J Arsenal is what I have for my high gain distortion.
    It has a ton of usable tone for well under $100

19. jayhawknavy02

jayhawknavy02 TDPRI Member

We tried a Wampler, Boss BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Ibanez TS-9, Ibanez TS-808, and some boutique pedals with nearly 10 amps, both tube and solid state including some vintage Fenders from various companies. The Fulltone OCD IMO can cover BD-2 through TS-9 and nearly indistinguishable in the recording room to me, and without a doubt live/youtube I think the audience would have a really tough time. However, the OCD has the LP/HP and more on tap (gain/volume/distortion) than either pedal. I'm an OCD fan, I think its a great value and because it covers two overdrive pedals + edging into distortion I think its a great value as a result, especially used and appears to hold its value. Things go sideways with the BD-2 "Fat" mod from Ranger, which is pretty amazing and only $45, but the pedal can be noisy at high gain and I've tried several. I've kept all my overdrive pedals regardless, because, well, I don't know why....lol. Pedal, guitar, and amp all act like a system and some combinations work well and others don't, you just have to test. The only exception IMO, are the real tube based overdrive pedals like the Lone Wolf Fat Glass II that because of their nature driving a real 12AX7 at high voltage vice trying to emulate it in some form. Those however, are not inexpensive.

pippoman and northernguitar like this.
  20. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Sorry, it is the Sweet Baby.

Alamo and Bluego1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.