DOES ANYBODY BESIDES ME ACTUALLY LIKE INEXPENSIVE OD /DISTORTION PEDALS?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by pippoman, May 9, 2021.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

My “kick it into a lead” tone is a Boss SD-1 with the gain down and the volume up pushing whatever is behind it in the chain.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

When I bought a used MI Audio Blues Pro pedal some 15 years ago, I realized the differences from my Dano/Boss stuff immediately. I've never gone back except to experiment with a new $30 fuzz pedal. The "boutique" pedals are worth every dime more than the inexpensive mass produced stuff in every way ... by far.

The DS-1 was a great pedal ... back in the last century. Just sayin'

3. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

As someone else states, the BD2 might be relatively inexpensive, but it is not cheaply made. I've installed Allums mod kits on maybe 6 or 8 BD2's. They are not quite top shelf sound out of the box, but with an Allums mod kit they easily can be as good as any boooteeek OD pedal I've ever had, and that is mostly just to lower the noise floor.

The only inexpensive OD pedal I've ever had that I immediately hated as soon as I plugged it in was the Bad Monkey. I know a ton of people will swear by it but I cannot figure out why, my ears just can't comprehend it.

To me "inexpensive OD" means $150 or less, and in that range there are several choices that will not disappoint, and most of them don't need mods. The Boss and Ibanez pedals are the only ones I've ever felt would benefit noticeably from installing a mod kit, and the Boss pedals are actually quite easy to work on.

Wait til you discover the real Boss sleeper OD, the SD-2. WOW!

pippoman and bluesholyman like this.
  4. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Bad Monkey, $40; Tube Pilot, $40; BD2, I forget what I paid, but it was less than $100. All set with minimal gain, the Tube Pilot just a bit of breakup. A trebly bugger that one --needs to run in tandem with a GE7.

A boost/reverb with a "cream" knob for a little extra grit and a '59 Bassman pedal run clean for a different amp tone/coloration rounds out my whole setup.

5. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

Blues Driver BD-2 is an OD pedal I use the most and it is always on my board. Then there is the SD-1 as a booster (low gain setting), EHX Big Muff (Green Russian) when I need to go crazy with distortion or for sustained lead sounds. Sometimes I use DS-2 as a distortion (if it was good enough for Kurt Cobain and is still good for John Frusciante, then it is good for me). Then there is fuzz - MXR 108 (got it used for 50€) and Analogman Sun Face and this is the only boutique pedal I own.

As a guitarist who plays at home for 95% of time that is really enough for me.

northernguitar likes this.
  6. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

My main sound besides squeaky clean is my modded ds-1 (Taiwan or later - Don't molest those pricey Japanese ones) that I got used from GC for $20.
    If anybody wants info, I can provide schematics.

I mentioned my mods on another post.
    For my Peavey Powerslide, I found a perfect tone with a straight SD-1.

I tried a ton over the last 40 years, both expensive and cheap, but came full circle.

7. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

I have a Klon clone I built myself, so inexpensive ... like it a lot.

I have a boutique tube based overdrive, which was rather more expensive ... I also like it a lot.

I have had others, but they have come and gone like the tides ... I guess I didn't like them as much.

So, in response to your question, I like some overdrive/distortion pedals over others, but it is not price related.

Charlodius likes this.
  8. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

I had that pedal once. Stolen. :(:(

Obsessed likes this.
  9. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Mooer Blues Mood and Black Secret are good.

Slight tangent: Kokko Timer Delay is a good deal: soft switch, tap, trails, low noise.

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Nope. You're the only one.
    That's why they never sell any of them.

pippoman likes this.
  11. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I have a collection of these “usual suspects” and I rotate them on and off the pedal board fairly often. The SD-1 and Rat are a frequent pairing, but it could be a Bad Monkey/TS9 and a DS-1.

There are reasons to spend more, they just aren’t that compelling to me.

12. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I’m not a fan of the cheap Chinese s*** found on Amazon or sold direct. That’s junk that will not stand the test of time. However, I agree an OD doesn’t need to be top dollar to be good. All it has to do is goose the already overdriven tubes in my amp.
    I bought a used Digitech Bad Monkey for $35 over ten years ago and it’s never been bumped. It’s just a TS-style pedal, but the added bass control is great to boost or cut the low end. My other OD is a T-Rex Tonebug OD and it’s just a fine take on a TS. Looks cool, too.

Tele-friend likes this.
  13. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

After all these years, and a recent OD buying splurge, my grab'n'go OD is still my old Bad Monkey. My favorite distortion is an XVive Golden Brownie that I picked up used for $30.

pippoman likes this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

19 bucks and sounds awesome

Coffeemutt and VintageSG like this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The BD-2 is an excellent, versatile pedal. I have one myself.

It’s a matter of context. When I think “cheap” I think of Mooer, Donner, Joyo, not Boss, Fulltone, Wampler, Catalinbread etc.
    All of those brands have more expensive pedals.

It’s not about price, it’s getting the tone you want. I can get my tone from a BD-2 or my CB 5F6.

Many of us are gear junkies and constantly chasing better tone. It is what it is!

16. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I think boss pedals have proven themselves and hold up near forever - they just don't quit. Inexpensive chinese knock offs might sound good, but I think longevity is a serious question - I don't buy them.

I have a few boss pedals but I have preferred, generally speaking, the sound of boutique pedals where time/effort has been spent tuning the circuit and there is more scrutiny in the choice of parts.

I gladly pay for what I want to hear and its usually not an inexpensive pedal ($150-200 most times.) Notable exceptions: Boss SD-1, Boss SD-2, Nobels ODR-1.

While the Rat is generally not my sound, it is priced right and built like a tank. Great pedal to have. OCD, similarly, is a great price for a well designed pedal.

jayhawknavy02 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  17. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Saw the thread title, and thought of this immediately.

My one and only distortion pedal. I have tried others, and they don't do anything the Danelectro can't do, but they cost rather more.
    The 'FAB' overdrive is as good as any solid state I've tried.

Danelectro have pedals for every pocket.. They're all good.

18. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

I have the boss BD, DS1, OD3. All great pedals that are bulletproof and very reasonable on the used market.

I also have a few Danelectro cool cat pedals that are stellar. And the Daddy-o. They’ve decided to go for a higher price point on their latest line, which I have not yet sampled.

I’ve found great pedals from Joyo, Donner, Nux, Tomsline, and monoprice. I’ve used a Donner Morpher as a main drive for a couple years and it’s very versatile. I just picked up the Nux plexi drive and m playing it more than my actual DSL. I also just got the donner Fuzz seeker and it’s great.

I have quite a few behringer pedals that are also great- the TO800, VT999, and the TM300 are standouts.

One other consistent low priced maker is EH. They seem to last forever as well.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  19. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I thought that the Joyo American Sound and similar pedals were designed to be "psuedo-amps" and perform better when running into a sound board or powered PA in place of , rather than into , an amplifier ? Guess I was mistaken.

20. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

I mean my first overdrive was the EHX Hot Tubes Nano. Great pedal. I would even go so far as to put in above the OCD in terms of tonality and versatility. It is one of my favorite overdrive pedals. The main problem for me was the massive click that came through when you turn it on and off. If you were going to leave it on all the time I wouldn't have a problem with it, but mid-song switches caused a problem because it came through the delay and onboard reverb. It has a tendency to follow the EQ curve of the amp which is quite nice if you just want "more" without changing the EQ of your tone. It is one of those rare overdrives that tends to play really well with other pedals...mainly because it acts more like an amp than an overdrive. At $65.50 it doesn't really get better in my opinion. On the other hand it tended to be just a bit too much overdrive for '50s country and rock. Its more of a Lynyrd Skynyrd/EVH range overdrive than a Buddy Holly/Chuck Berry level of overdrive. Still its really quite good for a cheap overdrive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.