DOES ANYBODY BESIDES ME ACTUALLY LIKE INEXPENSIVE OD /DISTORTION PEDALS?

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I bought a Zoom MS-50G when they first came out with the idea of educating myself on all of the different types of effects. Once I got an idea of what I wanted, I would get "good ones". As it turns out most of the "good ones" got returned. It wasn't that they weren't good, they just weren't better enough to justify the cost. This is a $120 pedal making each effect about penny each. So yes, inexpensive effects can be very good...no shame

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter

Go on Amazon and sort guitar pedals from low to high price. Check out all the under $25 pedals.

Black rat and golden horse are good.
Slightly extravagant is a joyo American sound pedal.
wow!!!!...it goes on forever

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
Danelectro fab distortion is filling in for my rat while it's down. Completely happy with it!, except the controls are on the front, not top. I really like the whole fab line I've tried

TeleBackelaer

TDPRI Member
What's the EQ on the SFT like? I keep hearing mixed reports. I'm a sucker for 79's Stones, so this is on my radar.
The eq is.. well, not straightforward. The eq also influences the gain. So it does take a bit of time to learn how to dial it in.
There's also a video on YouTube where the designer explains this I believe. And that one was really useful.

However, when you get the hang of it, it absolutely 100% nails that studio Stones sound from the late 70s.

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
The eq is.. well, not straightforward. The eq also influences the gain. So it does take a bit of time to learn how to dial it in.
There's also a video on YouTube where the designer explains this I believe. And that one was really useful.

However, when you get the hang of it, it absolutely 100% nails that studio Stones sound from the late 70s.
What guitar/amp are you using with that?

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
There's nothing wrong with your ears. I think you are just missing why 'boutique OD pedals' are expensive in the first place.
Thanks for the response man. Actually I do understand the higher cost to an extent. Boss, MXR, Dano and others are using less expensive components and assembly line type production for most of the process. There’s a lot more hands-on involved with smaller boutique products, and that means higher quality, otherwise I guess they wouldn’t be boutique. That applies to amps and instruments as well. So, the price is justified. These guys have to make a living too and they’re genuinely obsessed with their craft. I mean that with respect.

However, I typically use regular line, medium priced products and get the results I need; been doing that for decades and the pedals are still working for me. I’ve had a few higher end pedals, not THE highest end mind you, but I couldn’t honestly ‘hear’ that they were higher end. The craftsmanship is impressive when I open one up suggesting a better quality product. Still, when I close it, it makes no difference (to me).

Buuuut, there are some people who honestly can hear the difference. I’m sorta glad I can’t lol!

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the response man. Actually I do understand the higher cost to an extent. Boss, MXR, Dano and others are using less expensive components and assembly line type production for most of the process. There’s a lot more hands-on involved with smaller boutique products, and that means higher quality, otherwise I guess they wouldn’t be boutique. That applies to amps and instruments as well. So, the price is justified. These guys have to make a living too and they’re genuinely obsessed with their craft. I mean that with respect.

However, I typically use regular line, medium priced products and get the results I need; been doing that for decades and the pedals are still working for me. I’ve had a few higher end pedals, not THE highest end mind you, but I couldn’t honestly ‘hear’ that they were higher end. The craftsmanship is impressive when I open one up suggesting a better quality product. Still, when I close it, it makes no difference (to me).

Buuuut, there are some people who honestly can hear the difference. I’m sorta glad I can’t lol!

Yeah, imo it's nothing to do with the sound really, that's not what you are paying for.

... it's a taste thing anyway, there's expensive pedals I like and expensive ones I don't.

In theory they should be using higher quality parts, the first time I ever used a Zvex pedal I could tell the jack sockets were very high quality, it's only a small thing but it was noticeable. That ain't going to make it sound better but it should make it last longer and decrease the chance of it failing.

TeleBackelaer

TDPRI Member
What guitar/amp are you using with that?
I've got a Princeton reverb 65 ri and a Champ 600. Both work well. I swear sometimes maybe the champ 600 actually gets me closer.
Guitar is a 2013 Squier Tele cv50.
I also got two USA strats but for that Stones sound, it's gotta be a tele of course. (or an LP jr, but that one is still on my wishlist 😄)

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a brand new RAT 2 pedal for $79.00.
I have some Joyo and Behringer pedals that I use.
none of my gear leaves my house, always sits waist high and never gets stepped on .
Yes I do buy some pedals the list over $200.00. I bought a Bogner Uberschall discounted for $129.00 new.
I like it a lot.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
I bought a Zoom MS-50G when they first came out with the idea of educating myself on all of the different types of effects. Once I got an idea of what I wanted, I would get "good ones". As it turns out most of the "good ones" got returned. It wasn't that they weren't good, they just weren't better enough to justify the cost. This is a $120 pedal making each effect about penny each. So yes, inexpensive effects can be very good...no shame

I got my MS-50g only recently for the same reasons. My 'proper' pedals sit on the shelf now. the Multistomp is so good for recalling my preferred settings. Sounds as great as one could hope for through my LoFi Pignose and no complaints with my Vox either - strictly home/travel use mind you.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I got my MS-50g only recently for the same reasons. My 'proper' pedals sit on the shelf now. the Multistomp is so good for recalling my preferred settings. Sounds as great as one could hope for through my LoFi Pignose and no complaints with my Vox either - strictly home/travel use mind you.
I wish it had a headphone setting

Audiowonderland

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I use them all. Some because the sound stellar, some because they have character, some because they are noise makers