DOES ANYBODY BESIDES ME ACTUALLY LIKE INEXPENSIVE OD /DISTORTION PEDALS?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by pippoman, May 9, 2021.

1. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I must be missing something because after more than 50 years playing and 40 years gigging, I can’t justify me spending big bucks for boutique OD pedals, let alone getting on a long waiting list to get one! Guitars and amps? Another story altogether, although I’m content with my current residents at this point.

Before I’m accused of judging other’s choices, let me point out that I’m not suggesting anyone is wrong or daft for delving into the high dollar offerings of OD pedals, but is something wrong with my ears? I’m currently using an off the shelf pedal on both my home and gigging boards, a Boss BD-2 with a modest boost in front of it. Oh, I’ve got an OCD and a Petty John Iron on a shelf, but I may sell them both. The BD-2 is to my liking at this point. Does anybody else think this way, not necessarily about the BD-2, but about inexpensive overdrives, or am I just behind the times? BTW, I bought a DS1 the other day locally for $24.00 on a whim, because what the heck? I actually like it!

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I bought a Bad Monkey used for $20 once.
    It was worth it.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

The difference here is inexpensive equals good and cheap equals bad

Nothing wrong with a blues driver or ds.1 they’ve been around long enough that they are inexpensive but not cheaply made

Does this make sense? I thought it did

4. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I like an unmodded DS-1. There, I said it.

CV Jee Beez, pi, Tele-friend and 12 others like this.
  5. John O

John O Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

IMO, the bd-2 is all you need.
    That said, I also have an fd-3 I use with smaller tube combos sometimes. I never use both together.

pippoman likes this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I love the bd2 and the ds 1. I also have some cheap tube screamer clones. And a cheap fuzz face. And an EHX klon clone. The soul food.

they work for me.

7. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Been using the same MXR Distortion + since 1979. Hasn't let me down yet. Wish it had a light though.

Think I paid $40 new back then, and they're still under $80 new.

8. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Even cheaper, try the Chinese clones. There not all great, but most are very good. Can you find some minor differences testing back to back? Sure. Do they matter in a mix or to anyone but a guitarist? No.

9. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Cheap pedals are great, been down the Joyo rabbit hole lately (American Sound, Taichi, Sweet Bee currently). My favorite delay is a GarageTone Axle Grease, favorite fuzzes have been Big Knob Fuzz Facelift and Color Jumbo. So many great options. I play Gibson reissues into a vintage BFVR but in between them are $30 pedals.

cyclopean, Roscoe295 and DrBGood like this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Go on Amazon and sort guitar pedals from low to high price. Check out all the under $25 pedals.

Black rat and golden horse are good.
    Slightly extravagant is a joyo American sound pedal.

11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned lots of Ibanez, Boss, MXR, EHX, and even a Wampler Euphoria, and a lot of Joyo, Mosky, Tomsline, Eno, Kokko, and a few other Chinese brands, but my favorites are Caline, Tone City, and Movall- the new Movall pedals are all just rebranded/repackaged Azor pedals, which is Caline's mini line.
    My Caline Medusa, Tone City Bad Horse, and Movall Minotaur are my favorite Klon klones of the many that I've tried, and the Caline Mellow Drive is the best Zendrive clone I've tried. As far as TS types, the Behringer TO800 sounds just like a real TS808, and the Joyo Zip Amp BB clone is awesome too, as is the Caline Captain Silver, which can switch between a TS9 and a TS808 circuit. My other favorites right now are the Tone City Durple and the Caline Queen Bee, which is a Mad Professor Sweet Honey clone. The Caline Mellow Drive is my current favorite right now, 'cause it has a little warmer and fuller tone than the others, without losing clarity or dynamics, and is very amp like in its response.

12. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The cheap, or relatively cheap, are usually classic pedals that have been around a long time or clones. I don't know why a TS-9 costs twice as much as an SD-1, but I'm sure I'd find that horse has already been beaten to death if I were to Google it. I just haven't.

I still have my BD-2 and SD-2, as well as all of my old Boss pedals. They're not going anywhere because I do still like them. However, while they may be great classics, those circuits have been arguably improved upon and succeed by others.

I have some cheaper pedals that I like, e.g., the Donner Blues Drive (which sounds like a TS-9 without the bleed through). I just happen to like my MXRs and J. Rockett better.

Tele-friend likes this.
  13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I reevaluating my drives as I get used to my newly assembled rig. Currently I have a Mooer Hustle Drive as a low gain sound. It really sounds pretty good. My Fuzz Face sounds great through it as well. This is not in a band context yet, but I would feel fine gigging the Mooer. I can tell it would work. I think I paid $24 bucks for it.
    To the OP, the BD-2 is one of my favorite ODs. Boss makes good stuff.

RetroTeleRod and pippoman like this.
  14. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

It's not rocket science.

guitar_paul1 and Tele-friend like this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I totally prefer inexpensive but I can't stand cheaply made!
    Fortunately there are lots of inexpensive options that aren't cheaply made.
    Chicago Stomp Works run $60- $80 new and I often pay $40 used.
    Hobby builders trying to grow make some good pedals for $50-$80 that sell for $30- $50 used.
    Older used pedals can be cheap too if I am patient enough.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  16. pippoman

Off the path for a minute, but I bought a Rogue Analog Delay off Reverb for $26 shipped. It’s not really analog probably, but it works great for slap back delay on our rockabilly tunes. That’s about all it’s good for but I already have a good Boss delay for long delays and the Rogue keeps me from physically having to adjust the Boss for those few songs. Verdict is still out on its longevity, but so far so good.

17. pippoman

Boss is great to have, even if just one pedal, because they use pretty decent buffers that work even when they’re off if I understand correctly. Correct me if I’m wrong.

18. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think you may be missing the point. A white OCD could probably do everything I need it to but why not check out the other colors in the box? Lots of cool stuff out there!

jayhawknavy02 likes this.
  19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Joyo doesn't make anything called the Sweet Bee. You're confusing their Sweet Cream with the Caline Queen Bee, which are both Mad Prosfessor Sweet Honey clones.

20. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

A friend of mine had a Distortion+, it wasn't really to my taste and at the time (79) I opted for a Big Muff-$15.
    $40 for a Distortion+ back then was cheap. The best my friend could do was $60 for one.

Chuckster and dlew919 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.