does AARP help?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by guitarmoron, Jun 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I put my Father on my checking account decades ago when I was deployed to Iraq so that he could take care of my affairs while I was gone. I never took him back off when I returned so when he hit 50, they offered me a membership too (I was 27). It made no sense to me how they located members, but for a lark, I joined just to mess with people how young I looked for a man of 50. The gag turned into a lot of irritation with the constant mailings, phone solicitations, etc. that I quickly jumped ship. I have no idea if the benefits are really worth it, but I do not like their lobbying basis at all and don't see myself ever going back now that I am old enough.

LocoTex and guitarmoron like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I AM a member, but you DO NOT HAVE TO BE to get the Medicare Advantage supplemental insurance. Since all health insurance is currently designed to be as confusing as possible, I can't really swear it is the best.....but since I witnessed the good results my mother had with them, they are who I signed up with when I became old enough for Medicare. Better coverage than simple Medicare, with NO additional premium.

ce24, LocoTex and guitarmoron like this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a member mainly because they lobby for older folks, and I'm getting to be an older folk. My girlfriend gets the supplemental medical thing and it seems to be worth it.

RedRock, ce24, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  4. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

My wife does get Medicare Advantage supplement insurance, and it is good. But we are not AARP members as we don't like their political lobbying for people and causes we don't support. They could change up a few things and I would happily support them.

And I'll just add this - we use Consumer Cellular and it really is cheaper. $70/mo. for the two of us. No big-button phones either, iPhones.

guitarmoron and nojazzhere like this.
  5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I've been a member since I turned 50. I don't get much mail from them or calls. I get more BS mail from Realtors wanting to sell my house lol. I like paying less for hotels, medical, etc.

RedRock, guitarmoron and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I consolidated all my memberships and now just belong to NRAAARP.

7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I thought we were not supposed to get political. A lot of people do not like AARP for their lobbying, etc...

8. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Not political... Just differing opinions on subject matter... That is allowed... Just because some are against it doesn't make it political... No different than music stand opinions.

guitarmoron likes this.
  9. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yes, but do you angle your music stand to the left of your amp, or to the right, or somewhere in the middle? :D

I used to be an AARP member, didn't really use any of the benefits. I joined AMAC, but not sure if I'll stay with them either.

I guess I get more out of life being independent!

Cheers,
    Doug

guitarmoron and Chicago Matt like this.
  10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

So advising to support lobbying for certain political causes is fair game to talk about? Good to know!

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  11. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post

I think not

This thread is locked.

Some of you need to spend more time with your families, hobbies, the outdoors, or maybe go volunteer somewhere.

There are many places on the internet to posture, but TDPRI never has been, and never will be.

Junkyard Dog and noah330 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.