1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does a static-producing pickguard sound that way forever???

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by E5RSY, Apr 17, 2021.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Or, does the problem abate over time?

Scott

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

My Parker P36 did that until I removed the pickguard. I reinstalled it prior to selling it and IIRC it did it again.

It's pretty annoying.

I put adhesive copper foil under the pickguard when I put new pickups in my Peavey Peactor. I think it helped.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure, but I suspect it stays unless you shield your guitar, or at least ground the pickguard.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  4. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

More annoying during winter months.

5. MarkA

MarkA Tele-Meister

I had a g&l that always had static, bounce dryer sheets helped for a few days but it always came back. Sold it, bothered me so much.

6. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Wiping the pickguard with an antistatic dryer sheet helps, but one has to redo it occasionally.

JL_LI and ScribbleSomething like this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

It should not abate over time, but I would think that an aluminum foil (or other metal) backing, grounded though the pots, would take care of it.

8. E5RSY

Yeah. I'm well familiar with temporary measures. Just hoping it goes away eventually, which I think it may.

9. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

It won’t go away. One of the downsides of MIM fenders. I have found that MIMs often have staticky pickguards, never had that problem on an MIA.

10. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

As stated here already, it doesn’t go away over time. Shielding the Pickguard definitely helps. Pickguard and cavity shielding fixed the issue for me on the Telecaster I had with that problem...

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I have. Squires, MIM, MIA- its all the same.

I stuff dryer sheets under all my Fender pick guards. It's just a thing I do now.

I have the same problem with the nitro finish on my Les Paul. I forgot to moisturize my hands before playing and next thing I know I'm making static every time I run my hand up or down the neck.

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

getcha some Copper shielding foil, the kind with the stickum on one side., coat the back side of the PG with the copper..

take a few slivers and run them from the screw holes on the body to insude the cavity.. make sure they're all connected to a ground point..

If the cavity is coated with shielding paint.. just stick them down, the stickum is conductive... if not solder a small wire from each to a ground point... reassemble and rock on with considerably less static.

r

Guitardvark and Zepfan like this.
  13. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Dry air makes static electricity worse. If you run central air conditioning or a fireplace, it will remove moisture from the air. Wipe your pickguard down with a used dryer sheet.

14. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I am not sure, but have you tried roughing the PG up a little with some very fine steel wool? The solution Gibson had to the static plastic covers IIRC was to make them textured.

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Whenever I get a guitar with a large pickguard, I put the aluminum HVAC tape over the entire backside of the guard and all the cavities while the guard is off.

16. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

I find just aluminum foil stuck to the pg with spray adhesive, with one small extra strip barely running under the edge of the control plate, helps almost as much as what Ron suggested. Don't make the extra piece too big, or it might touch the switch and make things far worse (this just happened to me and actually took a long time to diagnose).

If the guitar in question is a tele that might look good with a plain black pickguard, get a Bakelite/Garolite pickguard and the problem will disappear.

17. E5RSY

The culprit in question is the mint green guard on my ‘60s Baja. I usually keep a single ply white guard on it from WD Music that is fine. But, the other day I felt like seeing what the mint green looked like on it again, and had forgotten about how crackly it was. It’s actually getting a little better with a few days of use.

18. John O

John O Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

i have shielded all of my G&L guitars that have a plastic pickguard with copper or aluminum tape to get rid of this annoying static. It works well if you do it carefully and completely. I obtained the copper shielding kit from Stew Mac and there was enough materials to complete 4 guitars. This has not been a problem for my usa tele, strat or gibsons.

19. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Holic

The Classic Vibe I bought from a guy on CL has shielding under the pick guard and a thin piece of copper grounding it to the control plate. It never produces static.

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Forever. Until you ground it. You can use temporary measures like dryer sheets, but the problem is still there.

Unlike regular pickguard plastic, Bakelite does not produce static. Sadly, it only comes in one color: black.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.