Does a reissue count as a birth year guitar?

Otisblove

Tele-Meister
In my meaningless opinion, owning a guitar that was made in the year of your birth is no more and no less important than owning a spatula that was made in the year of your birth.
And for the record, I have looked at guitars from my birth year on Reverb. I’d probably buy one if I could afford it. I’d also like a sweet 1974 spatula, though.

bluzkat

Tele-Holic
I don’t crave a birth year guitar, but I wouldn’t kick this out of my driveway… birth year 1952 Cadillac.

Attachments

• A76E39BD-ED28-462F-8B5E-5EABBA91BA2D.jpeg
    A76E39BD-ED28-462F-8B5E-5EABBA91BA2D.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 10

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, sure, whatever gets you there.

For me personally copies give me the same mojo as the original. The country of manufacture and details make no difference to me. I just try to play stuff that might have been vaguely been played on an original. The year makes no difference to me.

fretWalkr

Tele-Holic
Birth year guitar is just another one of those guitar forum things no one ever thought of until the internet. I guess I could consider my AVRI '52 tele is my birth year guitar. But it's really just an awesome guitar. I wouldn't spend the money for an actual '52 and it's my favorite player these days. That's close enough to get bragging rights and maybe a chuckle or two.

willietheweirdo

Tele-Meister
Birth year guitar is just another one of those guitar forum things no one ever thought of until the internet. I guess I could consider my AVRI '52 tele is my birth year guitar. But it's really just an awesome guitar. I wouldn't spend the money for an actual '52 and it's my favorite player these days. That's close enough to get bragging rights and maybe a chuckle or two.
I'm willing to bet it originated with wine snobs and coin collectors. Basically anything people geek out over that has a big year stamped on the front of it!

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
Not really. I had an AV 65 strat, and it felt great to own, but I think I would be a cheat to say it was original to my birth year. It would literally have to have been made in that year for me to feel like it was my brethren.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
You know... until this thread I don't think I ever gave this a thought! Wow... reading the comments has really got my noggin' thinkin'. Hmmm.... I suppose on the one hand it might be cool to own a guitar that was built when I was born, but that would cost more money than I'd ever be willing to spend! Heck... I could find a lot better things to do with 30,000.00+ let me tell ya! LOL! Unrestored 55 Chevy + Build my dream workshop, put Chevy in it? ;)

On the other hand, buying a reissue "in the style of" the year I'd like, that really doesn't make much sense either. It will still cost me money, and will I ever bond with it? What if I don't? It wasn't really built when I was born so... doesn't really jive with the point of buying a birthyear guitar. Hmmm....

I suppose at the end of the day, I'd probably just forego the notion altogether and put whatever money I might've spent on a "birthyear guitar" towards gear that I know I'll use, and bond with, or.... buy that unrestored 55 Chevy + Build my dream workshop, put Chevy in it :cool: