Does a non rattling 5E3 exist?

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
I'm pulling my hair out! (And while we're at it my Princeton Reverbs rattle too. Champs and 6G2s don't seem to rattle at least.)

There are numerous threads about this so I know I am not alone just wanted to vent. Okay bye now.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Hello!
Yes, good 5Y3s exist. I cannot recall ever having a problem with a rattling 5Y3.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Lol….just lucky I am.
I am sure that such rattling can go on in a 5Y3. I keep my tube sockets tensioned properly, but ime there would be more serious problems other than rattling if a tube socket had a problem with a loose pin socket.
Amp rattles and buzzes are problems that have to be dealt with.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Ok, uh, we talking a Fender Deluxe 5E3 amp or 5Y3 tubes? In any case none of my 5E3's or 5Y3's rattle at all.

Built my own 5E3's, used clear silicone under and between all the electrolytic capacitors on the ones I built with vulcanized fiberboard then I switched to G10/FR4 board with turrets; silicone not necessary. No rattle there either.

I was lucky enough to get 19 NOS GE 5Y3 tubes in the original box at an eBay auction for $75 around 2000-ish. No microphonics in the bunch.

Still pinching myself decades later.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I assume the OP is talking about reissue amps?
There have been some complaints, albeit mostly the Princeton. Some users claim the ceramic tube sockets are loose in the metal holders and that is the problem. Others think it is the cab.
I know of no issues occurring often with the vintage amps.

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
Hey all thanks for the responses. I meant both vintage and new amps where noises can come from back panels, tubes, parts vibrating on the fiberboard, etc. Just a quick search revealed a lot of old threads on the topic so I thought it was more common but seeing as you guys have quiet amps gives me hope!

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
Lol….just lucky I am.
I am sure that such rattling can go on in a 5Y3. I keep my tube sockets tensioned properly, but ime there would be more serious problems other than rattling if a tube socket had a problem with a loose pin socket.
Amp rattles and buzzes are problems that have to be dealt with.
Wally I hope you didn't think I was being sarcastic.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Hey all thanks for the responses. I meant both vintage and new amps where noises can come from back panels, tubes, parts vibrating on the fiberboard, etc. Just a quick search revealed a lot of old threads on the topic so I thought it was more common but seeing as you guys have quiet amps gives me hope!

oh….I notice rattles, buzzes, crackling….lots of things. I have found buzzes caused by loose grille cloth vibrating against the baffleboard. A heat gun cured that……done with care, of course.

PI Mullard

TDPRI Member
Heat and vibrations make tubes go microphonic (internal parts become loose and rattling). When this happens to preamp tubes there are all kind of noises and squeals. The first sign of a power tube gone microphonic is a rattling sound (often confused with cab vibrations). It gradually becomes worse until the tube eventually dies. Replace power tubes.

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry I didn’t get this up earlier @monkeybanana. On a beefed up tweed Deluxe this back panel was squealing like a Whoopie cushion. It couldn’t handle the air movement.
Drilled and tapped a 6-32 hole in the center of the chassis at the flange. The an oval head machine screw. Gotta be careful of the little wire thingies inside

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
@monkeybanana Have you tried something as simple and indicative as removing the back panels and seeing if the sounds change or disappear?
Thanks for the tip. I did, I ran them with the panels off. I have since found a few things in the room that vibrate including a door frame and a stereo receiver.
One amp had a cap that rattled against the board so I bent it so that it was resting on the board more firmly and it stopped the nasty vibration. I am getting close!

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
My 5e3 has little pieces of the soft side of the velcro stuck to the chassis in a couple of places....

It is (now) rattle free.

Over time I am sure that will change... Good thing is, my hearings not as good as it used to be... So, I don't notice any new rattles.

Rickman365

TDPRI Member
Mine do not rattle, Princeton’s. Nor does my custom Deluxe. Maybe i should buy a lottery ticket.