1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does a Full Body Guitar matter

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Clouds84, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Clouds84

Clouds84 TDPRI Member

My electric isn't a full body and I'm just wondering if having a full body guitar matters or if it's just for appearance. Deciding whether to send my Fender back for a different model or not.

Attached Files:

Dereksys38 likes this.
  2. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

"Full body"? You mean the thickness?

nojazzhere and Dismalhead like this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Is it a semi-hollow or hollow? Not sure what you mean here.

4. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

Are you referring to the "cutaway" by chance? In any event, there's no way I'd send that Tele back if it's in good working order.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

:confused:

6. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

This is a very deep mystery.

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

You are at least to be congratulated on asking a question that has not quite been phrased that way - as far as I can remember. However, the desire to help out is strong within this forum.

The picture you posted looks something like Custom FMT HH or the MIK Squier both "carved" top set neck double-humbucker teles - both beloved by many. Sure it's not a traditional style, but it still can be a wonderful guitar.

If you were to provide a few more details or a little more explanation, we might could provide some helpful feedback. At the very least, you ought to spend some quality time with that guitar before sending it back. You can read many stories of regret here - for guitars that should have stayed home.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  8. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You can send it to me. Full body or not I'll take it.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  9. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

It is more important that the guitar is comfortable to you than the body size/shape. This is true even with acoustics.

10. Clouds84

Clouds84 TDPRI Member

Well when you own an acoustic, the size of the guitar projects bigger sound if you have a full-sized guitar. Full size with no cutaways. So I'm wondering if this matters with electrics.

My fender fmt custom telecaster hh is quite small compared to other teles.

11. Fuggle

Fuggle Tele-Meister

I'm not sure why someone would really want an electric without a cutaway, unless he has a real aversion to playing above the 12th fret.

DekeDog likes this.
  12. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I doubt it unless u r talking about something very small like a duo sonic compared to you tele. Even then i dunno. What i think does matter if neck fullness. Very thin necks seem to sound smaller then a full neck. And that's not an assumption based on a fatter neck means fatter sound notion. I used to think thin necks can sound as full but only recently did i realize the bigger the neck the fuller the tone. (generally people, i know there are exceptions) Seems like there are bigger lows with a full neck and when really thin it sounds like you turn the bass on your amp down a bit too much. Unfortunately in recent times fender seems to have changed their necks on low to mid models to be pretty thin and reserves bigger sizes for the higher end and custom shop stuff. Not saying ALL, but generally that seems to be the case. Anyways, that to me matters a lot more then the body in most cases. Tho my ex classic vibe 50s tele sounded pretty big for a really thin neck. Not as big as the 2002 MIM thinline 69RI tele I replaced it with which has a pretty full neck. More so than any of the MIMs i have felt recently.

13. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

LOL. Still not quite sure what we're talking about here.

Martian likes this.
  14. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I am inclined to think this would only matter with hollowbody electrics. You should be fine, unless it's uncomfortable, but spend a little time with it and see how you feel.

Solidbody guitar tonewood statements get shot down here all the time (for rather good reason). Therefore if the material of a solid electric doesn't matter, neither can the shape, and thus the size. Teles don't sound like teles because of their shape, same goes for any guitar, and that much is clear.

The size/shape is all down to aesthetics and comfort, neither of which I would hold against you as reason for a return.

15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

This was a 2011 - 2013 obsession but I bought and sold different hollow and semi hollow guitars both inexpensive and expensive. I made several trips to Dave's with huge Gibson, PRS and Collings stock like few have. I played Gibson 339s against 335s and the Collings I-35, SoCo and SoCo 16 in same amps and back to back. Had a lovely PRS hollow body for a while.

What was super interesting was comparing a few of same Collings with same Lollar pickups with the 15" and 16" bout. They sounded much alike overall but lower notes (thicker strings) and individual notes from or larger body were a bit different. The SoCo 16 had extraordinary clean and semi-clean tone punch. My PRS was really sweet to handle and same for the smaller Collings but it absolutely left me loving good ES-335s and the Collings 16.

P.S. for today's other post, this guitar trade - the PRS for the Collings stopped all guitar buying since early 2013.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Torren61 likes this.
  16. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Ah, ok. The good thing about an electric is that it's plugged into an amplifier, and as the name suggests, there's a volume knob (a "bigger knob") which has a much larger impact on volume than any other single feature in the signal chain, as far as amplitude goes. (sheesh, the puns just write themselves, here...)

Have you picked out an amplifier yet? We all thrive on details and photos and sometimes spend more time fretting over the most minute details rather than playing.

Don't ask how I know that.

The cutaway has virtually no impact on the volume produced. It's there to provide better access to the upper frets.

Quality of sound and tone are another matter, very subjective and susceptible to a wide range of opinion. Many players devote a lifetime of activity to swapping pickups, speakers, strings, picks, you name it, to find a tone that satisfies that quest. If this is your first electric, congrats - we all have stood where you now stand and loved every minute of it.

the FMT custom telecaster is a wonderful guitar. You chose well. Enjoy it. And best I remember, the FMT is not particularly smaller than other teles, other than the "belly cut" on the back and the set neck taper - all of which makes for a lighter instrument. Quite a few players these days prefer lighter guitars.

Congrats and hope you like the humbuckers.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Addnine likes this.
  17. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

The notion that body material in a solid does not matter is nonsense. Not "questionable": pure, barking mad nonsense.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

"Full body" to me applies to wine, beer, coffee and acoustic guitars.

Torren61 likes this.
  19. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

"Does a Full Body Guitar matter ..."

All Guitar Body (Lives) matter.

Seriously, it's a matter of comfort. Play what fits your body and technique.

20. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I may have decoded this question. The OP may mean the idea of a fully shaped guitar. As we know, Steinberger and Erlwine made minimum body guitars with a headless design. Those are not full body guitars. In that regard, they sound just a good. You do not need a full body guitar for good sound.

Of course it only works for electrics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.