1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does a Carbon Copy work well on a solid state amp?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Gmountain, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

I have a friend who has a pretty inexpensive amp-$40 on ebay new- and I was thinking of getting him an MXR Carbon Copy delay pedal for Christmas. Would that pedal work with an amp like that.

Now that I am thinking about it, if I was going to spend the money on a pedal, maybe I should get him a better amp with delay built in. So second question- any ideas for amps in the $125 range?

2. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I don't want to imagine a $125 amp worth owning that has delay

3. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure a number of used Line 6 Spider models can be had near the 125 mark. They certainly don't sound incredible in the grand scheme of things, but the tonal variety is massive, it will have a number of delay options, and I'm sure it sounds better than a 40 dollar amplifier.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

So far as a pedal goes, I would probably go with a Mosky Spring Reverb, about $25 or so on eBay, or some other equally inexpensive delay or reverb pedal.

As for an amp in the $125 range, I'd recommend either the Vox Mini G3 or Boss Katana Mini. I have the Vox myself and use it most days when I play at work during my lunch break. There are some non-portable options, like the Fender Mustang or Line 6 Spider to consider as well.

Gmountain likes this.
  5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

OldGuy6873 and RoyalBaby like this.
  6. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Roland Cube 10GX

Gmountain likes this.
  7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Mine sounds decent thru my USA Redstripe block logo Peavey Bandit.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why wouldn’t it sound ok? I’m lost.

Maybe he likes his amp.

9. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Link doesn’t work for me but I have one and for home use excellent. I like the delays, including tap tempo if you want it, and some of the other effects are useable. Just about okay to use as an interface to record with as well.

10. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Marshall MG30DFX. Solid state combo. 30 watts RMS, with 10" speaker. Built in digital effects: Reverb, delay, chorus, flange. Average $100 used. Guitar Center.com has several for $99 plus shipping.
    Another option for a pedal, is GuitarFetish.com. They have their own line of effects pedals. Well made, pro-quality. I own their "Pro Delay". $55.95 plus shipping.

11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Well, just to generically answer the question, yes!

I've had a Carbon Copy for quite a few years now, and have used it with quite a few different amps. For the last couple of years, I've been using it with my Quilter 101 Mini, and it works great. That amp has an effects loop, and I also added a Hall of Fame 2 reverb about nine months ago (and that sounds great, too).

I'm curious - it looks like there are suggestions for other amps that might have delay, or for other delay pedals, but no one seems to have mentioned (unless I missed it) that the Carbon Copy is an analog delay. At least with my rig, I really like the analog repeats with my solid state Quilter amp. Yes, the Quilter stuff aren't your typical SS amp offerings, and yes, there are a lot of decent digital delays that emulate the analog effect, but I can honestly say that at least with my rig, I love the analog processing on the repeats.

RetroTeleRod, thegeezer and MilwMark like this.
  12. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Firstly, the MXR Carbon Copy is a very organic and dynamic delay pedal. I HAD one.

Secondly, the Joyo Analog Delay pedal (an MXR Carbon Copy clone) sounds just as good! I HAVE one.

Thirdly, while I have owned some very popular tube amps, I now only own solid state amps (a Roland Blues Cube Hot and an Orange 35RT).

To your question: My advice would be:

1) convince your friend to spend $250-500 on one of the newer, noteworthy solid state amp offerings, and

2) buy him a new Joyo Analog Delay pedal for Christmas!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  13. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Used VOX VT20+ or VT20X can be had in that price range. You get modeling of amps and effects. Decent enough to practice and jam with, IMO.

14. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

Joyo 'analog' delay is an 'analog sounding' digital delay. It uses the PT2399 chip.
    Carbon copy is a 'true' analog BBD delay using 2x 3208.
    So it can never be a clone of the CC.

15. FenderGuy53

Yes, and it fits a definition for "clone":

"...designed to simulate exactly the operation of another, typically more expensive, model".

Let's not argue semantics. I think most folks get my point.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  16. luckett

luckett Banned

If by "clone" you mean it's completely different, then yes, it's a "clone".

MilwMark likes this.
  17. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

IME "clone" usually implies the circuit is copied, which is not the case with the Joyo analog delay - it is not copying the circuit of the MXR Carbon Copy but instead trying to sound like an analog delay through digital emulation. I own an MXR Carbon Copy and briefly owned and returned a Joyo and can attest that there is a difference. The MXR sounds like an analog delay and the Joyo sounds like a typical PT2399 digital delay processed to sound similar to an analog delay. I'm not knocking the Joyo for what it is - a nice sounding very cheap and small delay - but it ain't no Carbon Copy clone. Also I found it affected the signal slightly and audibly in bypass mode, which is actually why I returned it.

To get back to the original question - yeah I see no reason an MXR Carbon Copy wouldn't sound great with a cheap SS amp and might actually help warm it up a little.

18. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

I'll also add that the Carbon Copy is a very nice gift for a friend with a cheap SS amp because it could be useful for him for years to come - even if he gets a more expensive amp someday. Plenty of people who like an analog delay sound happily use the CC on all manner of loud, expensive amps.

19. FenderGuy53

Okay, I'm out. The KIA's can take it from here...

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't actually understand your point. Can you elaborate?

When I tried the Joyo it just seemed like a digital delay with some filtering on the repeats to make them degrade and get warmer. Also the Carbon Copy has 600ms of delay and the Joyo has maybe 400ms, IIRC. I don't recall it having modulation either, and certainly not adjustable modulation. So I'm not sure how it could be cloning the Carbon Copy?

I have nothing against digital delay. I kind of go back and forth between a DM2-w and a DD-2 in fact. I had a DD7 for awhile but even the analog setting did not sound like a copy of the DM2 it was supposed to emulate. Just like a good, analogish delay.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.