Does 4/32" - 8/64" seem high to anyone else?

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
The metric system doesn't have fractions but they do have:
centimeters
millimeters
micrometers
nanometers
picometers
and on and on and on.....

Not saying it's better..... it is what it is.....

There was a thread not long ago where someone was asking how to convert 4/32 or some such into decimal so he could then convert to metric. Hence the revelation...

I can work comfortably in either system, and know that neither is superior to the other. If you're participating in an International forum it's handy to be able to at least convert into whatever you're conversant with.

In 1971 or 51 years ago I had a math teacher who swore that we would soon be required to know the metric system as the US change was soon approaching. To make his point he wielded a meter stick much like Patton and his riding crop. He used it as a pointer and to swat any inattentive or unruly student across the bicep leaving a bright red swatch the width of the stick.
Seems like other than a few ammunition calibers and modern vehicle engine designations (tire sizes are a combination of both systems) we are still not there.

We had a meter stick at home when I was growing up, one of those big, thick things physicists use in the lab. There was a Cosby bit about his wife wielding a yardstick as if it was a Samuri sword. That was nothing compared to what my mom could do with that meter stick.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
There was a thread not long ago where someone was asking how to convert 4/32 or some such into decimal so he could then convert to metric. Hence the revelation...

I can work comfortably in either system, and know that neither is superior to the other. If you're participating in an International forum it's handy to be able to at least convert into whatever you're conversant with.

We had a meter stick at home when I was growing up, one of those big, thick things physicists use in the lab. There was a Cosby bit about his wife wielding a yardstick as if it was a Samuri sword. That was nothing compared to what my mom could do with that meter stick.
Yes! Mr. Baronowski's meter stick was one of those nice thick jobs like the banks used to give out in the 60's. Unfortunately I was seated in the front of the class and was an easy target. I received the brunt of it enough times to not want it on a regular basis. These days he would be booked for aggravated assault.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Millimeters… best idea/reply yet..

This “Imperial” stuff is way too archaic. 3/32nds!!! Lol.

Come to the Dark Side, Luke…Imperial measurements…:rolleyes::lol:

FC8C5819-B3C5-46B3-8537-B9F063CD5059.jpeg

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Eeeek.
If you MUST use imperial measurements, why not specify in thousandths.
I mean if you're into measuring, your feeler gauges will be in thou'.

I'm in the land of metric.
We abandoned pounds/shillings/pence, oz/lb/stones, pints/gallons, and inches/feet/yards back in '66.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
If you MUST use imperial measurements, why not specify in thousandths.

Or use the Metric system ....That makes sense ... this is the world of guitars where such simply is NOT tolerated...

actually I use items that are commonly available... a thin pick for the clearance over the first fret is a good starting place... a nickel works for over the 12th fret... two nickels for the height of the strings over the neck pickup.. a little more for the Middle and less for the neck.

the reason the sites give specific metrics for the setup is simply because most cannot wrap their head around . . . there is no optimal setting, you set it up according to your playing style and the sound you like to hear.

Last edited:

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
Blame Fender. I thought I'd be talking like a guitar person cuz that's the specs I see on Fenders website.

Honestly my brain's explanation as to why they use 32nds or 64th's is cuz I think the E string is 8/64th's but if my memory serves me correctly the G string is 7/64ths. So they're keeping it all the same by using 64ths since when you measure action it's in small increments. It might look confusing for some if Fender said: 1/8" for the E string and 7/64" for the G string.....

Whatever. Everyone is always smarter than anyone posting. That gets kind of annoying. I can't tell you how many times people try to school me on technical stuff when I'm not even sure they know what their talking about.

It's OK to try and help your fellow brothers out. Being condescending and assuming nobody knows anything and talking to the like they do is just prideful. I try to be open and teachable even at the age of 50. Still got a crap ton to learn. But sometimes people on sites need to give it a rest.

If it was all meant in fun, I'm good with that. :)

Now for those who think I'm stupid because I'm actually measuring and going by feel. The CV 70's Jazz I bought has an issue where I crank the neck to get it be a bit flatter. Then in about 2 weeks it returns to where it was. Which always FEELS a bit to high to me. So I was trying to understand WITH NUMBERS, what's going on.

And the REASON I'm trying to understand with numbers is I remember asking the tech at the store I bought it to just lower it a bit before I made the decision. And I got a bit of a stink eye and he said it was in spec as it was. And I was thinking to myself I like it a lower, and it seems high to me. And my P bass is definitely lower. Not a bunch, but a bit. How much, I forget and if I said it in 64's, quarters, 8th's likely I will be reprimanded for saying the wrong thing. And for even measuring at all. The tech did lower it for me but I swear this neck likes to return to a certain spot. Lowering the saddles then makes more buzz. So I'm trying to figure out what to do with this thing. I guess just keep cranking on the truss rod every month or so and see if it ever settles to where I want it to. Or just get rid of it.

As my Mom always said, put that in your pipe and smoke it. :)

Last edited:

kuch

Tele-Holic
Blame Fender. I thought I'd be talking like a guitar person cuz that's the specs I see on Fenders website.

Honestly my brain's explanation as to why they use 32nds or 64th's is cuz I think the E string is 8/64th's but if my memory serves me correctly the G string is 7/64ths. So they're keeping it all the same by using 64ths since when you measure action it's in small increments. It might look confusing for some if Fender said: 1/8" for the E string and 7/64" for the G string.....

Whatever. Everyone is always smarter than anyone posting. That gets kind of annoying. I can't tell you how many times people try to school me on technical stuff when I'm not even sure they know what their talking about.

It's OK to try and help your fellow brothers out. Being condescending and assuming nobody knows anything and talking to the like they do is just prideful. I try to be open and teachable even at the age of 50. Still got a crap ton to learn. But sometimes people on sites need to give it a rest.

If it was all meant in fun, I'm good with that. :)

Now for those who think I'm stupid because I'm actually measuring and going by feel. The CV 70's Jazz I bought has an issue where I crank the neck to get it be a bit flatter. Then in about 2 weeks it returns to where it was. Which always FEELS a bit to high to me. So I was trying to understand WITH NUMBERS, what's going on.

And the REASON I'm trying to understand with numbers is I remember asking the tech at the store I bought it to just lower it a bit before I made the decision. And I got a bit of a stink eye and he said it was in spec as it was. And I was thinking to myself I like it a lower, and it seems high to me. And my P bass is definitely lower. Not a bunch, but a bit. How much, I forget and if I said it in 64's, quarters, 8th's likely I will be reprimanded for saying the wrong thing. And for even measuring at all. The tech did lower it for me but I swear this neck likes to return to a certain spot. Lowering the saddles then makes more buzz. So I'm trying to figure out what to do with this thing. I guess just keep cranking on the truss rod every month or so and see if it ever settles to where I want it to. Or just get rid of it.

As my Mom always said, put that in your pipe and smoke it. :)
Obviously you didn't learn from your mama that just because you think someone was criticizing you, it's not ok to turn it around and be critical of them....

I really don't think anyone was being critical, just trying to help out...

Maybe you should take a hit and chill..... :)

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
Obviously you didn't learn from your mama that just because you think someone was criticizing you, it's not ok to turn it around and be critical of them....

I really don't think anyone was being critical, just trying to help out...

Maybe you should take a hit and chill..... :)
There first few posts were completely helpful. The rest of the thread about the fact that people aren't stating fractions properly was not so much. That being said, likely I missed the humor. Although with some it was way more obvious than others.

So I stated, why I stated the measurements in that manner, and it wasn't cuz I don't know what the lowest common denominator is. Even if I don't know how to spell it. LOL. Actually I think I spelled it right. Unless there are hyphens.

It relates to more than just this thread. Many threads when talking about technical stuff can seem to dwindle to unhelpful by some people. Other people are super helpful. I know, it's the internet.

So where was the help in the fraction talk? And how did that help my original post? Or if you're referring to the comments about NEVER using a ruler, I respectfully disagree.

Those are rhetorical questions.....

Hags

Tele-Meister
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been poked at in the learning process it how it goes.
there are certian trades that use different measurements
tire tread is in 32ths even if 4/32(1/8) go into a hardwood store and ask for 1” thick wood (4/4).
as a woodworker all our tools are decimal so that’s what I use,no confusion.
4/32=.125 ,8/64=.125….
think 8/64 as 8 divide by 64=.125 or 4 divide by32 = .125.
why 7ender uses fractions is I guess they don’t think people have decimal measuring devices or the guy who wrote the Manual worked in a tire shop.
spell check off please don’t make fun of me

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been poked at in the learning process it how it goes.
there are certian trades that use different measurements
tire tread is in 32ths even if 4/32(1/8) go into a hardwood store and ask for 1” thick wood (4/4).
as a woodworker all our tools are decimal so that’s what I use,no confusion.
4/32=.125 ,8/64=.125….
think 8/64 as 8 divide by 64=.125 or 4 divide by32 = .125.
why 7ender uses fractions is I guess they don’t think people have decimal measuring devices or the guy who wrote the Manual worked in a tire shop.
spell check off please don’t make fun of me
I didn’t even know Chekov was tired. Will spell him
Immediately.
Signed,
Chief Petty Officer USS Enterprise 😉