DOD Owners Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by waparker4, Mar 1, 2013.

1. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

It's a while since your query but... I had an original 201 (grey box) when they first came out, hence my interest in the recently reissued 201. It's been many years since I had the original but it sticks in my memory as it was the first (and only) pedal I had around 79/80.

The original was quite noisy but the phase was a bit more defined than the reissue. To my thinking the reissue is a much better pedal, both in sound quality and the modern appointments such as 9v 2.1mm and LED.

I've sought out a few of the originals (or older reissues) of the recent DOD reissues and have found some to be just different sounding (the Envelope Filter and Comp) and others not as good (the original Phaser and 80's reissue of the 250 OD).

If you can pick them up cheaply they are definitely worth a try, they were quite well made in very solid boxes but personally I wouldn't seek them out and pay big bucks - The new reissues are generally a better option.

2. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

I bought an used reissue because the vintage 201 are a little bit pricey and even if I heard great things about them I thought that a cheaper reissue could be more practical, to be honest. True bypass, LED, no noise... you can't go wrong with that.
    I like this pedal because it sounds good and it's subtle. I tried many phasers and I hated most of them, so I'll stick to this one for now.

3. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

The DOD 201 reissue is one of the best phase pedals I've used and I've been through a fair few! The strength of the phase sound is spot on, especially if like me you like to leave it turned on most of the time. It gives your sound a nice polished sheen which is hard to resist. Thank you Digitech/DOD.

4. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

I like it before dirt. I tried it in different positions but always ended up putting it before dirt.

5. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

While a lot of the dirt boxes are subtle variations on each other, I still have a few. And others as well. I have an old 280 compressor, a few FX boxes (22 Vibro Thang, 35 Octave, 51 Juice Box, 52B Overdrive+, 53 Classic Tube, 60 Stereo Chorus, 84 Milk Box, 96 Echo, 102 Mystic Blues), and they all seem to work well and play with other pedals just fine. The Milk Box compressor may be my favorite. The Echo works well, and has a tone control for the delay signal, letting you muddy it up if you want for that lo-fi sound. The dirt boxes with the 'BOOST' label at the end of the rotation (say from 4:00 to 5:00) are kind of cheesy, and add a lot of noise. I take the gain down on those, since I can't find a lower valued potentiometer that fits inside the case like the original. Usually they are 500K reverse audio taper. o_O So I go to the circuit and lower the gain feeding that control, and tame the wild beast at least a little.
    Since you can get them cheap, I really try and find them. There's nothing wrong with any old DOD pedal as is, but tweaked up they can be great.

6. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Having been through a bunch of phasers recently, I've yet to find anything that can match the richness and depth of the DOD FX20c. It does get noisy at higher settings but it's a price well worth paying for such a cool sound.

[​IMG]

TelePrankster likes this.
  7. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

Someone else asked about a schematic and mods. I haven't found a factory schematic, but someone's poorly drawn attempt. It's missing some key parts for me, but there is enough to see what I can do so far. Yes, it's a wimpy overdrive that is very bright. To the gain end, off of the 4558 there is the usual place to tweak the gain and the frequency response. R3 is 470Ω and you can go a little lower for more gain. I tried 390Ω, and it seems better. C5 is .2uF, and sets the low frequency that gets clipped. You can go bigger, but it's tough to find something that will fit the board and let the bottom plate go back on nicely.
    Then the guessing comes in, because the one schematic I find is poorly drawn to begin with, but the tone controls are really badly drawn. C26 is .2uF, and again I went with .47uF and I don't know how much it helped. C10 is the input cap to the 4558, and from .01uF I went to .022uF. The combination seems OK, but it can still get bright.
    It's a nice pedal, but if it stays in the pedal drawer I won't miss it. If I can ever see a factory schematic and tweak the EQ, I'd be happy using it.

8. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

I have the Milk Box compressor. It's the only comp I've ever owned but I think it's excellent.

9. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT Tele-Meister

FX69B Grunge Early model
    FX69B Grunge Same as 1st one but, not an early one
    FX55C Supra Distortion

And today I got in the mail a made in USA
    FX69 Grunge which is just like the original one I played back in 1993. It has the extreme tone for sure.

I also have a newest edition 250 Overdrive analog preamp Excellent pedal

In the future I could see me getting a used Digitech Grunge as well. Love those pedals

10. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Today in church, instead of solo acoustic, we had 2 other churches join us. So we had keys,a bass player who also plays violin and sax join my drummer and I. Great chance to use an electric and of course, my Champ Amp.

I put together a small board to drive the Champ.
    TU2 into DOD 250 Preamp OD reissue, into DOD 410 Preamp, into Dod Vibro Thang. (Phaser all the way off!!!), into a delay. It sounded great. Love these new DODs.

DOD needs to do a reissue of one of their classic analog delays!

11. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

I have, and have had, quite a few. My favorite though is probably FX69

[​IMG]

12. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

I like the octoplus. Does Neil young well.

13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I've had a FX-65 Stereo Chorus since the mid 1980s--got it new when I was a kid--and then maybe 10 years later picked up a FX-10 Bi-Fet Preamp, FX-40 Graphic EQ and FX-82 Bass Compressor while pawnshop trolling. I've used the FX-10 quite a bit as a solo boost, mostly in front of a ProCo Rat 2 to push it into freakout mode for soloing. But as I've drifted toward cleaner sounds, and from little crunchy farty Valco tube amps to old solid-state Peaveys' clean channels, the FX-82 Bass Compressor has become an indispensable always-on part of my signal path. I love that thing. I set the output at about 3:00, so it's boosting the signal a fair amount, and the attack control pretty slow--2:00, maybe--so I don't chop off my pick attack...but the compression control itself is pretty low, maybe 10:00. So it's pushing my signal but not compressing it too much or making it sound squished. These settings work well for me with guitar or fingerstyle P-bass.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  14. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

Used to love the DOD FX25 Envelope Filter. Still have one somewhere.

15. allesz

allesz Tele-Meister

Just got a FX90 analog delay. It sounds really pretty good.

So I just put toghether a small retro pedalboard with the FX90 and the american metal FX56; it sounds very good (maybe I should add also the FX25b and apply for a guitar player spot in the RHCP ;-)).

The american metal got a misleading name (completely dod's style), it is actually a nice rock/ hard rock overdrive / distortion and the eq has some nice spots.

Attached Files:

16. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

I've done a couple shows recently where I hauled out DOD stuff. An FX100 overdrive for a Kinks tribute show and a Milk Box compressor for dance at an American Legion hall where we have to play incredibly quietly. Both worked well.

17. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Used to have a Phasor 201 ages ago. Great, heavy-duty piece of kit. I should never have sold it.

18. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG] Proud owner of the undervalue milk box...

19. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I fairly recently acquired a used yellow box DOD250 no LED, originally planning on sending it to analog mike for a grey box mod. decided I liked the way it sounds as it is and why risk not liking the grey box (which I had no experience except that anecdotal comments say the new gold sparkle ARE the grey box sound and I didn't like the gold sparkle I had). Hey, I didn't say it, it's what I heard.

cntry666 likes this.
  20. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

A used, mid-'90s FX52 Classic Fuzz was my first ever distortion pedal; serious Big Muff-style vibes for like, twenty-five clams.

Also did a heckuva "Spirit In The Sky." :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.