DOD FX 90 Delay : Any experiences ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mike Eskimo, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Anybody own one of these rascals ? Owned one in the past ?

It is true analog delay is it not ?

I'm just looking for an analog delay that will give me a good slapback and I'm not paying the ridiculous prices for Boss, Maxon, Ibanez vintage units.

Anyone ?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. metropolis74

metropolis74 Tele-Holic

Yes the FX90 is really analog great for slapback. Another analog delay from DOD that you might run into is the FX96 which has a fourth control knob for changing the tone of the repeats. The second version FX96 (the one without the tape reels graphics on the pedal face) has longer delay time up to 800ms according to the manual. I've had an FX96 for a while now and enjoy it almost as much as my new Carbon Copy. The FX96 has more old school character when I want a lo-fi sound.

I see more FX96's for sale than FX90's and they are all dirt cheap in my neck of the woods, yet sound great for gritty delays and can do all those spacey self-oscillating spaceship noises a lot of us are fond of. Not quite as good as vintage Boss, Ibanez, etc but close enough for the $$, I'm cheap.

3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

DOD FX90

I had one years ago and remember that it sounded good, there was something weird about one of the controls, seems like it worked backwards, counterclockwise, can't recall exactly.
    A lot of people dis the old DOD stuff but I've owned old DOD pedals the looked like they had been through the wringer and they still worked.
    No experience w the other model , but if it has 800 ms of delay that doesn't sound like a true analog pedal, IIRC most analog delay units only have about 300ms of delay.

4. metropolis74

metropolis74 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    The FX96 is true analog with the good ol' MN3005 bucket brigade chip and MN3101 clock driver (same as the Boss DM-2 for 5X the price). Here's the schematic and bill of materials.

Indeed 800ms is pushing the limits of the bucket brigade delay, so the delays at the max delay time sound VERY weird on this pedal, but up until about 500ms it sounds OK.

5. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

Best stompbox slap in the world!

They're kinda fragile, but yes they're real analog delays. They may not be quite as nice as an old Ibanez AD9 or Boss DM2, but they're not bad. I used one for a few years as strictly a slapback machine in a RAB trio. I had tried several different delays and it was absolutely the best. I may have to hit Ebay and find another. I accidentally killed mine trying to replace the output jack, so be careful doing your own work ;)

6. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

I've got one - I love it. Yes, it is true analog delay. It sounds great. I've been using mine NON-STOP since about 1990-91 when I got it (and it was a store demo at that) and it has always worked and never let me down. Plus, I love the sounds I get out of this thing. It does it all, and yes, the 50's slapback effect it puts out is worth the price of admission alone. Go for it if you can find one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

FX96 is a great pedal. the nut and washer came off mine, on the input. I've gotta fix that oneofthesedays

8. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

The reliability of the DOD stuff is fairly weak, missing battery covers, etc. Also -these pedals require 10V positive tip so good luck finding an adapter to power it. Delays eat batteries like crazy.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for all the replies folks !

Got one last week for $50 in great shape.

Love it for the slapback - I'm not a big "long delay" guy so it's perfect.

Real anxious to do a side-by-side w/ my buddy's old Maxon unit.

Was tempted by some of the Boss DM 2's on Ebay but now that I have this I'm done looking. (Good enough for who it's for...)

I'm using a 12v adapter w/ positive tip. Heard it won't hurt it.

10. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

I enjoy my fx90 a lot(but I love any analogue delays)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.