DOD Compressor Sustainer FX80-B???

ZenDog

Banned
If you see one again, BUY IT.

While I will say they are over-hyped a tad, they are really nice.
If you don't like the Ross\Dyna-comp pummeling of tone and attack
the FX-80B is a refreshing change.

zombiwoof

Tele-Afflicted
I would suggest you look for the DOD FX-84 Milk Box, it is the next upgraded version of the DOD comp, and has extra controls that are really nice. There is an extra tone control for the high frequencies, which are sometimes lost with a comp. I got mine mint in the box for around $30 on Ebay, and they are a sleeper comp pedal, I'd put them up with the best I've ever played. The early ones have the controls with the silly labels (Pasteurization, Quarts, etc.) but the later ones also have the real control names on top of the knobs (level, attack, etc.). The last version did away with the silly labels altogether. I have the second generation with the extra labels on it, but even if you get the first generation you can figure out what the controls do after a while.

Check it out here:

http://www.americaspedal.net/fx84/

Al

czech-one-2

Friend of Leo's
The FX80-B sounds like a cross between an orange squeezer and a boss CS-2 to my ears. For clean,crisp and transparent you cant go wrong with it. I'd love to A/B it with a two knob Keeley.I'd imagine it would be a toss up.

ZenDog

Banned
The FX80-B sounds like a cross between an orange squeezer and a boss CS-2 to my ears. For clean,crisp and transparent you cant go wrong with it.

I think that's an excellent description. Well said.

schenkadere

Friend of Leo's
Very good comp...especially for that price. A "transparent" comp for sure...no super squash in there.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Great warm comp....a great buy at 20-$30.

I have an FX80-B and a Milk Box and you cannot go wrong with either.

mrSlush50

Tele-Meister
how do the two DOD's being discussed here compare to the Digitech Main Squeeze? I know some of the Digi's are very similar to some older DOD's. The digitech's seem easier and slightly cheaper to get a hold of.

If they are not similar/related how is the Main Squeeze?

Thanks.

Hiker

Poster Extraordinaire
You can read comparions of compressor/sustainers on various forums. I've got no complaints about my Main Squeeze pedal.
However, I have not A/B compared it to any of the others...

mrSlush50

Tele-Meister
Regarding the comparisons, I was more curious about possible internal similarities. I have heard that some of the digitech x-series pedal are either copies or evolutions of old DOD designs. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have read it in a couple of different places.

Thank you for your thoughts on the Main Squeeze.

cuzzinmark

Tele-Meister
Man-I have one, but it has NEVER worked. After all these years, I'm gonna take it to somebody to see about it. I just can't get along with my Dynacomp-the settings are so sensitive, that it literally goes from perfect to out-of-the-mix volume wise if the knobs get even nudged.

Thanks for this thread-it may help me get that all sorted out...

czech-one-2

Friend of Leo's
Regarding the comparisons, I was more curious about possible internal similarities. I have heard that some of the digitech x-series pedal are either copies or evolutions of old DOD designs. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have read it in a couple of different places.

Thank you for your thoughts on the Main Squeeze.

I'd love to help with this, but unfortunately I cant find any info online about the FX-80B. I have no idea what it,the milk box or the main squeeze are based on,but I'd like to know if somebody has an answer :confused:

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Since you're also a BBE man, would you say the FX80-B is similar to the Opto-Stomp???

RSY

The Opto offers no squeeze sound effect.

I can get some squeeze tone from the FX-80B when crank the compression.

The Opto is is an optical compressor. It's supposed to be more transparent by design.

The two don't sound the same. The Opto gives volume control without squeeze.

John

ZenDog

Banned
I spent some time today fooling around with my FX80B, in between takes at a recording session I did. My esteem for the pedal has increased after spending more time with it. The trick for me with the pedal is to keep the sustain control
at halfway or under.

Very good, and very fat.