Documentary On Elderly Instruments

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SpiderWeb, Aug 21, 2012.

1. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

Apparently, they've made a documentary about "Elderly Instruments" in Lansing Michigan. I thought that people that aren't on their email list might be interested. It sounds like it's not going to be available for long...see explanation from Elderly's email and link below...

"I’m ready for my close-up, Mister DeMille! We couldn’t be more pleased to announce that the documentary film ELDERLY INSTRUMENTS: ALL THINGS STRINGS – a three-year “labor of love” from Michigan State University’s Bob Albers and a crew of students from MSU’s College of Communication Arts & Sciences – is making its online premiere. You can view this intimate, insider's look at Elderly Instruments for a limited time, online at http://www.WKAR.org. See it now!

http://video.wkar.org/video/2269781610

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

This is great! Thanks for sharing! I've never been to Elderly, but I've bought stuff from them online. Like Dave's in Wisconsin, Elderly is one of the best music stores in the world.

3. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

You're welcome, I bought my Tele there (avatar). Just finished the documentary and I really enjoyed it...

4. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

They've been around for a long time, so must be doing something right, but I wouldn't buy a pick from them.

My experience was buying a used/consigned 60s Classic Tele from them. It was not right. The pickups had been replaced by standard MIM ceramics. It had a case, which had obviously been hit by a cat. Unbelievable. I contacted them to see if they'd make it right, and they effectively laughed, and said I could send it back at my expense. I just couldn't get past the bad feeling from the sale, but was too miffed to even deal with them again. I threw away the case, let the guitar air and put a set of Kleins in it and sold it (at a loss) to a friend who has a studio and needed a Tele, and wanted a rosewood neck.

So, every company that's been around a while has good and bad days. Elderly obviously has a lot of good ones. I hit them on a bad day, but to this day, I can't believe they sell electrics without at least opening the hood to make sure they are what they advertise. Clearly they don't, so they're off my list.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.