Dobro wiring, with a twist question...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by HockeyPop98, Apr 9, 2018.

1. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

It's been quite a while since I've been able to work on guitars due to complications that sprang up from an auto crash 2 decades ago, but an awesome surgeon and modern medicine has gotten me back to a point where I can start restoring and making guitars. My focus for a little while will be on repairs and upgrades to family and friends' guitars, but a summer project has gotten my mind racing trying to figure out it's wiring so I can plan just what electronics to go with.

I came across this beat up, roughly tele-shaped bare bones Dobro-style guitar body, no neck, that currently has 3 pot holes and the output jack hole, with little room to add more without enlarging the compartment. It's already routed for a humbucker above the cone, and has a fake soundhole (which I will port after I strip the body down to bare wood).

What I'm wanting to do is strip it down, veneer it, make or adapt a neck, and install a piezo mic on the spider, and either a hb-sized gold foil or a dynasonic pickup. I'm figuring a volume/blend/tone setup for the controls. The problem is, my Achilles heel is drawing up original wiring. I can solder anything I see on paper/PC screen, but issues when mixing a magnetic and piezo pickup in the same line seems to me is a little more complicated than just soldering them together with the differences in impedance.

The only wiring diagrams agrams I have come across that are even close all use 2 volume, 1 tone, and a 3-way switch. Can I ditch the switch and do what I want to do without it sounding like crap? Has anyone seen a vol/blend/tone diagram for piezo & magnetic pickups? If so, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I'm still in healing mode, but will start a thread once I get to working on this project.

Thanks!

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey, Pop, good to hear from you, sorry to hear about the health problem, but glad you’re on the mend.

I can’t claim any expertise at all with these things, but everything I read says you need blend circuitry in addition to the piezo preamp, so the output can be optimized for amplification. This diagram seems to fit your specs, for a blend pot, and also offers a “quick switch” that allows quick switching between the piezo and magnetic pickup.

Diagram:

http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/blend-pot.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Link to the cheapest seller of the blend amp I could find:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RF48N2/?tag=tdpri-20

3. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

Thanks Rick, I knew it wouldn't be long before someone would have the info I needed!

I'm glad I looked into this early. I knew I'd be throwing some cash at this sucker, but it's going to take even more than I expected. That'll give me plenty of time to butter up Momma before I hit her with the news!

4. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Joe ..........Mate! So glad you have surfaced after such a long time. I often wondered if you ever found your pick!!! :lol:

Glad to hear you are on the improve, now don't go overdoing it and relapse. Look after yourself and take small steps.

Regards Dave

HockeyPop98 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.