1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do your saddles ever sink?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by johmica, Jan 25, 2021.

1. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

I bought an AO 50s tele about a year ago, and I play it religiously. No kidding, I would guess that I have it in my hands at least three hours a day (usually while I'm also doing other things, like hanging out with the kids). It doesn't happen often, but there have been a couple of times over the last year when I'll set my guitar down in the evening, with no audible string buzz, and pick it up the next day, only to find that one string or another is more prone to fret buzz than it was the night before.

Again, it's not happened often; maybe twice since I've owned the guitar. But, for instance, I played the guitar all weekend, but when I picked it up yesterday afternoon, anytime I bent the G string at the 7th fret, I'd get a severe buzz that would completely mute the string. It definitely was not happening the night before. I adjust the set screw in the saddle a turn or so, and the problem is solved.

I'm just curious to know if this is common.

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is if your screws are loose! Vibration will slowly back the screws out, lowering the saddle. Try some clear nail polish, superglue, or thread locker. You can also try replacing them with screws that fit better.

SecretSquirrel, dr_tom and johmica like this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I think it happens to all of us after a certain age...

4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Why, you’ve got a lot of nerv—

Oh, you said sink.

Nope, haven’t had that happen yet, possibly because my playing technique and hand sweat causes instant saddle screw corrosion.

Dan German, Dereksys38 and johmica like this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

It doesn't have to be that way, but manufacturing costs make it so. Common screws have big dimensional tolerances for the threads. Common taps have big dimensional tolerances for the threads. If the tolerances run to the extremes, it makes for a very loose fit of screw to saddle and the screws *unscrew* from vibration under pressure.

The screws can be made to tighter tolerances and tighter tolerance taps are readily available, all at a higher cost.

Boreas, johmica and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I haven't had it happen on my Tele saddles, but I had a Strat shaped guitar once that suffered from screw creep. I always adjust the saddle to just below where I want it, then give a turn to raise it up. I figure tightening to adjust rather than loosening keeps a little more tension on it. Also, a little dab of clear nail polish will lock it in place, but is easy enough to break free from if you need to adjust it later.

johmica likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What string gauge are you using?

I remember having this sort of problem, when I played 9s. The gauge I use mostly now, is 11s. Like Archetype says, loosely machined parts can do this but enough pressure on them, and they're functional.

But I do "remanufacture" some of these saddles. I get a closer tolerance - no substitute for close tolerances.

That Cal Webway and johmica like this.
  8. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

My CV Jazzmaster bridge kept sinking and I used Loctite (the blue stuff) and it’s been solid ever since. And if I need to adjust, it allows for that. Cheap fix. I may need to do it on my low E saddle on my Player Tele because it seemed to drop in the week I’ve been playing it.

9. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Yes mine are very stinky, smells like the south end of a northbound ....... whoops, I thought you said stink:rolleyes:

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If the change happens to a guitar when you aren’t touching it, the neck has to be moving due to extreme temp changes or humidity changes.

If the screws are moving when you’re NOT touching the guitar?
    You need an exorcist!

11. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Loctite only!

It comes in several different strengths that you can use depending on how you want to use it.

12. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

this happens from time to time. I use nail polish on the screw and no problem ever since. Nail polish also breaks easy when you have to adjust. I like it better than Loctite

13. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

While probably effective, I don’t love the idea of nail polish or loctite on my guitar. I’d just buy a new set of saddles from fender, they cost like $13 and they’re the exact same thing that came stock on the guitar. It’s unlikely that another set is going to have the same issue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.