Do your relic maple boards have nitro on the frets?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by joshigh, Feb 19, 2019.

1. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

I’m looking at a 51 Nocaster relic from I think 2014. There seems to be quite a bit of nitro on the frets. I don’t have a lot of experience with CS relics so I don’t know if this is normal. I’ve only owned NOS stuff and rosewood boards.

Did your new relic Nocaster have orange frets??

2. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

It could be a reflection or a lazy employee not scraping the excess off.

3. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

Anyone else have an opinion or experience on this?

4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

You mean up to the top of the frets?
    Otherwise because the maple board is finished after the frets are installed it is normal to have finish « sealing » the base of each fret to the fretboard. Hence the orange-brown colour around each fret on a relic.

5. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

You can see what I'm talking about here. I would assume that on a relic, where they go through all the trouble of aging the fretboard, they would maybe make the frets look like they've seen some aging too? Instead of leave all the overspray on the metal, right next to the bare wood on the board.

This is my first experience with a maple next relic and I haven't really looked close at any in the stores to see if this is normal.

This is a 2014 CS Nocaster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It looks like someone was lazy. It's a pain to clean off the varnish from the frets, tedious and time consuming. It will fall off by itself as it gets played.

It looks like those frets are kinda flat on the top. Maybe it's time for a re-crown, which will make it both play better and sound better, and also get rid of most of the stray varnish.

Looks like a nice Tele!

joshigh likes this.
  7. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

I actually found the listing for it at the original retailer. I can't tell from their pictures if this issue is present. It's a damn shame someone could be lazy on a guitar with a list price of $5750. I feel like stepping up to CS sort of guarantees you're getting top notch fit and finish and QC work from the factory. Oh well. Lesson learned I guess lol.

Blue Bill likes this.
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Just don't buy it. One bad apple may or may not spoil the whole bunch. Lots of really, really nice guitars out there.

Were you interested because it was priced lower? Maybe you could point out the problem to the seller and make an offer that deducts the cost of overspray removal?

or just move on.

9. Blue Bill

Wowsa, almost 6 Grand? I was thinking $600, by looking at the pictures. For that money, the frets should be PERFECT. Buyer beware!!!

While we're at it, I think the relic-ing on the fretboard looks really fake.

10. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

Yeah it's already bought lol. I got it used from Reverb and it sounds and plays great, just didn't think this is a good example of CS finishing. Almost wondering if someone else got a hold of it with a respray or something??

11. Blue Bill

So you bought it? Dude, I did not mean to dis your guitar. I thought it was something you saw listed somewhere and were just commenting on it. Being used would explain the worn frets.

I agree, it looks like maybe someone re-varnished the neck.

12. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Blue Bill likes this.
  13. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

I have a '52 RI that was relic'd by Crook Custom Guitars many years ago and it is the best relic/aging work that I've ever seen. You flat out can't tell the difference between it and an old guitar. As good as any of the big players can do or better. Since that is my "gold standard" I'm biased. The only other CS I've owned has been a NOS and a rosewood board light relic.

14. Blue Bill

The pics on the WWG listing look great. With no close-up shots of the frets, it's hard to tell if there was any difference. I can't imagine why anyone would mask off the wood and spray the frets, LOL.

If it bugs you, you can get those fretboard protectors from Stewmac, and polish the frets with some Scotchbrite or 000 steel wool (mask off the pickups to keep any steel dust from getting on the magnets!!)

StewMac_Fingerboard_Guards.jpg

teletimetx and jimytheassassin like this.
  15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My '52 RI was like that - brand new. I just scraped the varnish off and polished the frets as above.

16. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

I honestly do not see a real issue looking at the pictures. The fretwork looks nicely done.
    As stated above if the thin layer of finish residue bothers you, just clean it up with 000 steel wool without forgetting to protect both pickups with plastic and tape.

17. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

I would also add that almost no guitar, as high end as can be, is free from any little flaw(s). If you start to seek for one, you will find one.
    My rule of thumb nowadays is to only really bother about flaws that can affect playability and/or durability of the instrument. Other than that it is just cosmetic, and it should not prevent you to love the guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.